Ingersoll-Rand - Ultra coolant (92692292) question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!!

We have two IRN75K air compressors and have always used the specified oil. The oil in question is the IR COOLANT ULTRA (ref.#:92692292). It is very expensive, around 760€ for 25 liters (something like 38$ a quarter).

The specs, and believing in the IR information are:
t9iqvl.jpg

I was wondering if there are any other viable (and less expensive, if possible) options available nowadays for this type of equipmment?

I thank, in advance, all the answers/suggestions and excuse me if this is not the right section of the forum.

Regards.

Last edited:
I did recommend a synthetic oil here, but then something about the Speific Gravity and the name got me thinking.
So I looked up this stuff. Its PAG. You can't use anything but PAG oil in that.

Thank you for the replies.
56.gif

I suspected it could be a bit special oil, but it puzzles me the fact of not having an (cheaper) alternative.
frown.gif

We are using this oil for 8000h, but we need to add a reasonable amount every 2000h. And for 38$/quart comes at a hefty cost. The 25 quarts (about 6,6 US gallons) case costed us almost 1000$.
crazy.gif

I´ve tried to contact some of our local suppliers of "normal" lubricants, but it seems that they don´t have nothing alike or aren´t willing to bother with my question. Let´s say that in some of the conversations it was becoming quite obvious to me that they know less than me about it.
mad.gif

My boss asked me a few times about an alternative, and I told him that I´m not the right person to answer him but, nevertheless I will try to find something.
And that´s why I´m bothering all of you, experts of BITOG, with my mundane questions.

Thanks in advance for all the replies.

Regards.

Last edited:
their knockoff generic replacement for IR Ultra coolant.
its also about 12.50$/qt

Many of the numbers are similar but not the same.
the vi is 152 vs 172 and some other specs are off abit.

its called "Ingersoll-Rand SSR Ultra Coolant Oil Replacement - 5 Gallon"

notice the "replacement"
There is 2 or 3 generic brands that seem to go for about 250-350$/5gal(~~19L)

Real stuff seems to go for 180/5L or 775$/20L

Real stuff here
http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com/am-...otary-lubricant

Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
Originally Posted By: IngersolRandSpec
Designed for rotary and centrifugal compressors, this oil is rated for 8000 Hours.

At least you don't have to change it that often..

It's a little more reasonable here in US (if your post was for quart prices):

http://www.theindustriallubricantstore.com/ingersoll-rand-ssr-ultra-coolant-oil-replacement-5-gallon

Seems like pretty specialized stuff.

Last edited:
I'm not up to date on IR's current formulations, but historically the SSR Ultra Coolant was based on a blend of PAG and POE. It was a good product, but the only magic was in the fact that it was patented. That patent expired over 10 years ago and since then many independent oil companies have copied it. Check with some of the larger independents serving your area. There are other products that are equivalent or better available.

Tom NJ

Thank you for all the replies.
wink.gif

I´ve contacted some of the local oil dealers, and I´m waiting for their suggestions/solutions.

When I have news, you´ll be hearing from me.

Best regards.

As expensive as Ultra Coolant is, it pays for itself in the long run. It doesn't varnish, it doesn't gell and plug the separator and keeps the internals very clean. I've serviced IR compressors for over 15 years and nothing can touch it. So what you pay up front in coolant, you gain back plus, in downtime and repairs. The change interval is also 8000hrs. (total run time, not just loaded) with just separator changes once a year and regular maintenance the airend will last beyond the 60000hrs service life of the screw.

Hello!!

I´ve contacted our local suppliers and these were the suggestions they gave me (both are PAO, so they said):

Castrol Aircol SR46 (I couldn´t get any more info. Sorry.)
nldclv.jpg

Mobil RARUS SHC 1025 (I couldn´t get any more info. Sorry.)
27zdx08.jpg

What say you about it?
As an ignorant in this subject, the only thing that I can say is that they seem very different from the original IR Ultra coolant to me, but I leave more elaborated thoughts to you.

I thank in advance all the replies.

Regards.

Last edited:
First off, neither is fully PAO as they would need to have some ester blended in for seal compatibility and additive solubility. More important they are completely different chemistry. While they would likely work well in your compressor, they are not the match for the SSR Coolant you are seeking.

Tom NJ

Hello!!

Thanks for the replies.
wink.gif

I will present these "results" to my manager, with all the pros/cons and then we´ll have to take a decision. My recommendation, and with only these alternatives is to stick with the IR ultra coolant.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back