BMW OEM vs Mann vs Mahle vs Hengst

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get them cheap free from one of the BMW aftermarket parts distributors who semi-sponsored one of my builds, and I originally was getting KN but asked for the AFE as I have heard good things, and they make the absolute best bar none performance air filter (ProDryS) for racing and extremely high specific output use, and I trust the company.
Plus, I am like 99.99 percent certain they are made by Champion Labs, but they're actually better designed, with more pleats, SS inner reinforcing mesh, etc than any other ones I have seen. I will see if I can send a filter in for analysis somewhere, because even my track cars that run them show abnormally LOW wear metals.... ?

Well, I used the Mahle this time, and did a MityVac OC on the Bimmer yesterday (with "New" GC 0w/30)...everything went well, and the Mann filter that was in before looked to be in great shape.

BUT:
IDK if it's my imagination or what, but it seems the engine cranks a bit longer on start up since the OC - am I being paranoid?
Can this possibly be due to the Mahle? No start-up NOISE or anything, just seems to take a tad longer cranking on start ups...once starts, sounds normal and smooth.
Oil level is fine, checked twice after changing, and once after a drive, even. It's right on the 'full' mark on dipstick..

Oh BTW, The Mahle didn't seem to easily snap onto the oil filter housing nicely as the Mann did IIRC. The filter housing closed nicely and tight, but I had to place the filter inside the canister and then put/close the housing around it... The Mann however, when I changed oil last time, seemed to nicely snap onto the middle part of the housing top nicely and snugly)

I still have the Mann - I wonder if I should swap...
Or is it just that the temps dropped about 30F by the time I was finished? idk.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
IDK if it's my imagination or what, but it seems the engine cranks a bit longer on start up since the OC - am I being paranoid?

I think you're being paranoid or it's the colder temps. How old is your battery?

I just can't see how a filter brand (both being OEM) could affect cranking time.

I understand that, and that's why I gave my other reasons. But generally, if a company has been completely solid in their other products, then I will be willing to try something new from them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back