Why no M1 AFE for my wifes STS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm looking at the Mobil 1 website and plugging in different vehicles into the oil finder application they have. Seems like every car or truck that I plug in that requires 5W-30, Mobil will give AFE 0W-30 as an alternative except my wife's 2007 Cadillac STS AWD with the V-6 engine. 5W-30 is the only weight they recommend.

Is it because it might be a DI engine (don't know if it is or isn't). Is this engine hard on oil?

What am I missing here?

I know GM says only 5w-30 in most everything, but I bet that AFE will do fine. Wonder what would happen if 10w-30 went in?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
So I'm looking at the Mobil 1 website and plugging in different vehicles into the oil finder application they have. Seems like every car or truck that I plug in that requires 5W-30, Mobil will give AFE 0W-30 as an alternative except my wife's 2007 Cadillac STS AWD with the V-6 engine. 5W-30 is the only weight they recommend.

Is it because it might be a DI engine (don't know if it is or isn't). Is this engine hard on oil?

What am I missing here?

Doubt it's a DI thing considering Mobil 1 0w20 is Dexos1 rated.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BobsArmory

What am I missing here?

The web selector might be working with incomplete data and stuck on one older spec that someone failed to do the data entry fo (I'm thinking something like GM6094M). It's not unusual for these "helpful" apps to not get it 100% right.

According to this list 0w-30 met GM's specs back in 2008.

http://pangea.stanford.edu/~schmitt/car/gm_approved_engine_oils.pdf

So one approach would be to find all the old specs that applied to your Caddie and see if 0w-30 meets them, through archived charts like the one above.

Another approach would be to say, it's gasoline, it's GM, so I can use any Dexos oil in the correct weight (30 weight being "correct").

Another approach would be to call both GM and Mobil and ask why or why not.

Another approach is to say, I've learned enough from BITOG to say, forget it, I know it'll be fine.

HF

Mobil's page for Mobil 1 AFE 0w-30 has the Dexos image, but it doesn't list Dexos among the oil's approvals. The page for the 5w-30 has both the Dexos image and Dexos approval listing. There has to be an error in there somewhere...

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Mobil's page for Mobil 1 AFE 0w-30 has the Dexos image, but it doesn't list Dexos among the oil's approvals. The page for the 5w-30 has both the Dexos image and Dexos approval listing. There has to be an error in there somewhere...

If you click the logo for Dexos it leads to a page which leads here... and has Mobil 1 0w-30 on it.

http://centerforqa.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=31&Itemid=74

This might be the missing data entry causing the web selector to hiccup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back