Bad to use rubbing compound over entire vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a black jeep with quite a few scratches and chips can I use rubbing compound to buff out the entire jeep before i polish and wax, or should it only be used in certain spots with bad blemishes?

Old-school rubbing compound is pretty harsh. I would only use it as a last resort. Modern compounds, like what Ramblejam posted, are far safer but still very effective.

No, first wash, then clay bar, then use kerosene, then compound (1500 not rubbing), then polish, then coat with wax. You may need a rotary polisher for the the compound and maybe for the polish as well

While it is possible to blend a scratch with rubbing compound it will not get rid of cracks and chips-don't cover the whole vehicle it ...

Kerosene? Over the whole car? And recommending a rotary and compound for a detailing newbie is definitely bad advice.

It's far better to stick with newer polishes and techniques. Meguiars Ultimate Compound will take out just about any sort of damage short of complete through the clear scratches. Just use it with a DA polisher, Harbor Freight sells a decent enough DA.

But if you're really short on funds and have the patience you can do some pretty decent work with a 6" wax spreader cheapy polisher and wool bonnets with the Ultimate Compound.

Originally Posted By: jrtribology
No, first wash, then clay bar, then use kerosene, then compound (1500 not rubbing), then polish, then coat with wax. You may need a rotary polisher for the the compound and maybe for the polish as well

While it is possible to blend a scratch with rubbing compound it will not get rid of cracks and chips-don't cover the whole vehicle it ...

Kerosene?

Rotary polisher?

Reality check......

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Perfectly safe for the entire vehicle: http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G17216-Ultimate-Compound/dp/B001O7PNNM

...just understand the limitations of what it can, and can't do with scratches & chips.

This. Use with a compounding pad on a DA, it will take care of some pretty bad scratches as long as they are only in the clearcoat.

+1. I am in the middle of working on a 2014 BMW M5 right now with another detailer. We have found that Menzerna FG400 and a Meguiars MF Finishing Disc on a Rupes 21 is removing most swirls and finishing near LSP ready. Since this car is sapphire black, we have to do a follow-up...but on a lighter color, we could have been done by now.

Just be cognizant of the paint thickness and the heat that you generate. It is possible to burn paint on a DA quite easily (if given the right pad and product), so don't get too carried away.

What does 2014 BMW have to do with a old Jeep? Who is this rocket surgeon doing the compounding on 2014 BMW??

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vikas
What does 2014 BMW have to do with a old Jeep? Who is this rocket surgeon doing the compounding on 2014 BMW??

The OP said he has some isolated scratches and swirls, and was considering spot compounding prior to polishing.

I said that FG400 can be used on the entire car, and can probably allow him to skip the polishing step as well. FG400 is fairly pad dependent, so he can switch pads depending on the amount of cut needed.

Both the Jeeps and BMW (majority) have harder paints.

The OP sounds like they are new to dealing with swirls, scratches any form of paint correction in general. Personally, I would just get some OTC Meg's ultimate compound and since he probably doesn't have a buffer, just do it by hand and live with the results.. or get the jeep professionally detailed by someone that has all the tools and equipment.....Unless he's down to buy ($$$) and learn how to use a polisher and compounds properly.

Originally Posted By: 2000NWXJ
I have a black jeep with quite a few scratches and chips can I use rubbing compound to buff out the entire jeep before i polish and wax, or should it only be used in certain spots with bad blemishes?

First off..... Are you going to use a machine or is this all by hand? Until that is known all advice is rather pointless.

How old is the Jeep and was the paint neglected?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back