Gluten Free?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Its especially effective if you are "Glutten"-free....lol

haha
lol.gif

If we eat real food and not food products, its pretty easy.

Bread, pasta, whole grains - are all wheat. The recommendation to eat "healthy whole grains" stemmed from the anti-fat crusade of the 1960's. Little did they know that the hybridized wheat that had recently developed sends your blood sugar sky high, making you age faster, contributing to weight gain, immune dysfunction, diabetes, and a host of other disease.

My old boss's husband was celiac. So they had to go gluten free to prevent him from being malnourished.

She had discussed the vitrues of GF, so we had tried some of the gf pastas, and liked them. Certainly didn't leave such a sluggish feeling after a big Italian type meal.

But we eat breads and pastas very seldomly, so it really isn't a big deal to us. We try to eat nutritious goods and not fill our diet with wheat and processed wheat products.

You'll have to pry the rye bread from my cold dead teeth.

...while you're in there can you pick out that one bit of pastrami that's been bugging me for the last ten minutes so I don't have to go floss?

Last edited:
Let the bashing begin, but ever since we went Vegan, I dropped 30lbs and kept it off. We eat as much as we want and are full after every tasty meal. We sleep better, don't get tired after lunch like we used too and have stayed healthy, no sick kids or colds/flu's. If anyone is interested just look up what got us started, "The Engine 2 Diet" on Amazon along with his second book, "My Beef With Meat".

Another major benefit is after meal clean-up is a breeze, even the pots and pans, no nasty grease to deal with.

Originally Posted By: Rat407
Let the bashing begin, but ever since we went Vegan, I dropped 30lbs and kept it off. We eat as much as we want and are full after every tasty meal. We sleep better, don't get tired after lunch like we used too and have stayed healthy, no sick kids or colds/flu's. If anyone is interested just look up what got us started, "The Engine 2 Diet" on Amazon along with his second book, "My Beef With Meat".

Another major benefit is after meal clean-up is a breeze, even the pots and pans, no nasty grease to deal with.

Im right with ya! Weight: down, energy: up! Depression: gone.

Most stuff with gluten in it are calorie dense so if you cut them out and replace them with things like fruit and veggies, which have more fiber and contain less calories, then you would expect to lose weight. Not to mention bread and pasta are starch heavy and if you regularly ate them then you might retain water weight. If you cut them out, part of the weight you first see is water weight, not fat like you may think.

And if you don't lack the enzyme to digest gluten like people with celiacs, then gluten isn't your problem, it's a high starch diet with foods that have a high glycemic index.

Exactly. Only those with the celiac problem need to be concerned about the current 'anti-gluten' negativity. Gluten contain a high amount of nutrients and protein. Only celiacs and those that eat a very poor diet need to be concerned about it. In my opinion the whole anti-gluten thing is inaccurate and blown way out of proportion.

Good stuff, thanks guys. I've heard bits and pieces about it for a long time and finally wanted to find out more about it. Everything in moderation it seems. Certain foods and drink I can easily bypass if I know they aren't that great for me. Lately I haven't been having that afternoon slump where I'm so tired.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac

And if you don't lack the enzyme to digest gluten like people with celiacs,...

confused2.gif
Where'd you get that information?
confused2.gif

That's not what celiac is.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NothingNew
Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac

And if you don't lack the enzyme to digest gluten like people with celiacs,...

confused2.gif
Where'd you get that information?
confused2.gif

That's not what celiac is.

I stand corrected. Must have been thinking about something else

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: andrewg
http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthy-kitchen-11/truth-about-gluten?

I agree with it, but there's a fair bit of spin in there.

If you maintain that the food pyramid is based on grains, then 'whole grains" are certainly more healthy, have less type 2, and less heart disease...

Doesn't make it "healthy" per se, just a lot more than white bleached stuff.

So are you saying that you believe that even whole grains aren't a menu item that you consider healthy?

Given the time frame that we've evolved, versus how long we've had access to huge quantities of grains, their placement as the "base" for the food pyramid is (IMO) just plain wrong.

Whole grains are way way healthier than bleached processed nutrient free "white" foods...but should be further up the pyramid.

We went gluten free at our house. I went a little further and went to a largely paleo diet. Since I made the switch I've dropped the IBS and feel better.

Gluten foods are carb dense and really push the blood glucose up. I'm diabetic so that's a real problem. It's no problem to cook some meat and a few veggies. I have taken the toaster out of the kitchen, haven't bought a loaf of bread in months, don't buy boxed or processed wheat products, or stopped at a fast food joint either.

I exercise regularly, and though I haven't lost weight I've dropped a pants size. I've dropped 30lbs from my heaviest, and have another 30 to go for optimal health.

My Doc wagged his finger at me and tsk-tsk'd me at the last visit, and I admit that my inability to drop bread from my diet has caused real and permanent damage. But I'm on the right track and have dropped the SAD (standard American diet) from my life.

Not everyone has to do this, and those that don't scoff at us that do. Celiac is a red herring here, and plain old getting fat from eating too much and too much carbohydrate is the real nugget in this conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back