Silverado Rocker Panels

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjk

Hi, couple of questions...

a. Can someone explain to me why Chevy has such a horrible rust problem on the rocker panels, as opposed to Ford. Just as an FYI, I am looking at a Silverado and am a previous owner of 2. Not bashing, but since the re-design in 99, it is very prevalent in the upper midwest. I don't see late 90's to early 00 F150s having nearly this much of an issue.

b. What would you expect to pay for replacement of rockers and cab corners, on a otherwise very clean 99 z71?

Thanks.

At least on Chevy and GMC its only the rockers on a Ford you might have no frame left.
lol.gif

In New England,they only seem to last around 5-6 years.New rockers are a big seller,at $250 a pop.Installing them correctly costs money...one shop quotes $1000 to replace 2 and paint.Usually the cab corners and rear cab support are gone as well...money pits them GM bodies..

They salt the roads like crazy in the rust belt. I see a lot of Ford, older Toyota Tacoma trucks and older expeditions with nothing left to the undercarriage but burned toast and more than a few with broken frames.

Ford bodies seem to do okay, GM and Dodge get the rust damage more to the body but the frames hold up well. Pick your poison.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: mjk
I am sure you don't have much of a road salt issue in CA....

I'm lost... Salt on a road?

while i'm hoping you're being facetious,

yes, in areas that see winter, we spread Salt on the roads. it melts the ice and snow on the roads (really it lowers the freezing point of the water)
but it gets into all the fun nooks and crannies of the undercarriage,(from the tire spray) and if not washed off fairly frequently, expedites the formation of rust.

few years ago, for some reason... the price of salt went way up. so they started looking for different De-icers. here in ohio they even tried a beet-juice solution.

there was a town some where in the plains, where a spice factory had several tons of garlic salt that was nearing expiration, and instead of hauling to the landfill, they donated it to the local municipality, for road salt.
yep. garlic scented slush.

Last edited:
That was pretty much what the 1 quote I've received was. At least I know, there wasn't any funny business..

It might be worth it, if done well. A maintained 5.3 seems to last forever. There should be another 100k + left on this particular truck.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
In New England,they only seem to last around 5-6 years.New rockers are a big seller,at $250 a pop.Installing them correctly costs money...one shop quotes $1000 to replace 2 and paint.Usually the cab corners and rear cab support are gone as well...money pits them GM bodies..

Last edited:
i previously owned a gmc sonoma, rusting piece of garbage. The problem is traced to GM's terrible build quality, first of all the inner fenders, floorboards are simply painted, no undercoating or any rust protection, one rock chip and it starts. And then there is the GM "rust warranty" (chuckle) which is specifically voided if you use rust proofing materials (like rubberized undercoating), GM also does not factory install mudflaps (unlike toyota and nissan) so road debris sandblast off the fragile paint down to bare metal causing instant rust. My sonoma had severe rust on the rear fenders at 40 thousand miles, the dealer of course said that this was caused by road debris and voided the corrosion warranty.

check out the lack of rustproofing on the underside

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1T-hOj0G7M

Last edited:
I think most of the rocker panels rust from the inside out. There hollow and the insides are not painted and trap moisture.

The front wheels throw the salt right at the rockers on GM's (had an '03 Z71 1500 5.3L ex cab). I bought the factory mud flaps from the dealer and it helped a lot. I remember a seam that was slightly open in the inner rocker panel.

FWIW, despite suing GM for the car and cash, our '04 Malibu is virtually rust free. Not sure how or why. I wash it in the winter between storms and use Meguiars wax.

The rocker panel issue is one reason I went with full Raptor running boards. No nerf bars, tubes, whatever. They seal right up agains the bottom of the rockers and keep crud from getting in between the door and sill area. And I am amazed that GM doesn't have wheel well liners in the box wheel wells. I had the dealer do a full rust proofing package on my Silverado before I drove it off the lot. Whether it helps, we will see.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
And I am amazed that GM doesn't have wheel well liners in the box wheel wells.

Same here, I like the look of some of the newer GM trucks, but was shocked when I saw rust bubbling around the rear wheel well of a ~2010 Chevy Silverado.

The local shops say that the stuff being spread around here is the worst they've ever seen. They have had cars as new as 2008 come in completely rusted out. I didn't believe it until I saw one.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
And I am amazed that GM doesn't have wheel well liners in the box wheel wells.

Same here, I like the look of some of the newer GM trucks, but was shocked when I saw rust bubbling around the rear wheel well of a ~2010 Chevy Silverado.

The local shops say that the stuff being spread around here is the worst they've ever seen. They have had cars as new as 2008 come in completely rusted out. I didn't believe it until I saw one.

does any manufacturer line the rear wheel wells? I park my Neon next to pickups all the time, i can nearly always see through to the other side between the bed and the frame rails.

My Tundra has wheel liners. Now, what might lurk behind them? My Jetta traps crud behind the liner and kills the rocker area anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back