Fram Recall

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didnt see this posted here so I'm reposting it from where I read it at subaruforester.org
(thank you to OP rescuer)

http://fram.com/sites/default/f/uploads/en/recall_notice_02052013_for_distribution.pdf

its for the subaru "blue can of death" that fram makes.

see above linky for details

SAFETY RELATED DEFECT NOTICE
To: Purchasers of Subaru Original Equipment Service Motor Oil Filters for certain Four Cylinder
Engine Applications

THIS NOTICE IS GIVEN IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF
THE NATIONAL TRAFFIC AND MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY ACT. FRAM Group
Operations, LLC (“Fram Group”) has decided that a defect exists which relates to motor vehicle
safety in certain Subaru replacement oil filters. Specifically, this Notice applies to motor oil filters
which meet each of the following criteria: a) Subaru Original Service motor oil filter model
15208AA12A used on certain Subaru four cylinder engines; b) purchased for purposes of either selfinstallation or installation by individuals or service centers not affiliated with Subaru of America
(these purposes are referred to as “Self-Installation); and c) manufactured on one of twenty three
dates, indicated by a date code. DO NOT INSTALL THESE FILTERS BECAUSE THEY MAY
LEAK AND POSE A RISK OF FIRE OR ENGINE DAMAGE. In this Notice, motor oil filters
meeting all three criteria are referred to as the “Affected Motor Oil Filters.” In Section D below, we
will describe how to identify the model number and the relevant date code.

IMPORTANT: FRAM GROUP IS RECALLING UNINSTALLED AFFECTED MOTOR
OIL FILTERS PURCHASED OVER THE COUNTER FOR SELF-INSTALLATION OR
RESALE. PLEASE EXCHANGE UNINSTALLED AFFECTED MOTOR OIL FILTERS AT
YOUR NEAREST SUBARU DEALERSHIP AT NO CHARGE.

A. Why is a Recall Being Conducted?
Fram Group identified a manufacturing process control issue resulting in a small number of
motor oil filters manufactured on certain dates that were produced in a manner which does not allow
the filter to fully contact with the engine block. In those instances, the gasket will either immediately
fail or fail within 300 miles of operation. A gasket failure results in rapid loss of motor oil. Since the
oil filter in your vehicle is in close proximity to the hot parts of the vehicle exhaust system, when
motor oil contacts the exhaust system, the motor oil can cause smoking and possibly an engine
compartment fire. Rapid oil loss may also cause engine damage.
B. What are we doing about the problem?
Fram Group is recalling all uninstalled inventory of Affected Motor Oil Filters to prevent
them from being installed in vehicles. Fram Group has already recovered Affected Motor Oil Filters
from Subaru Dealerships.
C. What You Should Do.
You should not install Affected Motor Oil Filters on your vehicle. Please return Affected
Motor Oil Filters to your nearest Subaru Dealership for exchange at no charge.

Last edited:
36.gif

Very eeenteresting.

Didn't somebody here have a similar problem? I can't recall the details and can't find the thread but the base was on backwards or something and the filter wouldn't screw on all the way???

It's good to know their retail/aftermarket parts are made with the same quality as their OEM parts

That's consistency !

Originally Posted By: cmorr
It's good to know their retail/aftermarket parts are made with the same quality as their OEM parts

That's consistency !

WARNING: Your sig. The only filter thats ever failed me was a Napa Gold. Almost lost the engine. Lost all oil pressure. Lucky I had a replacement filter in the car. I'm not alone. Thread about it on here. No official recall to warn people. Thought you should know.

I've said the orange can and fiber endcap construction is not my first choice, I prefer metal. That said stuff happens, Fram is no different than any other manufacturer, cars get recalls all the time. Fram's acknowledged the defect, is making the recall and by acknowledging it I'd think making reparations of any failure in conjunction with Subaru as a result of the defect.

Amsoil had a tsb regarding oil filters and extended oci's some time back. Afaik they made things right to anyone affected too.

A long as Fram and Subaru are making things right with affected customers, I've got no issues here. If not, then I'd have an issue.

As alluded to above though, it is a chink in the armor of those who constantly preach that oem is always superior to aftermarket.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
I've said the orange can and fiber endcap construction is not my first choice, I prefer metal. That said stuff happens, Fram is no different than any other manufacturer, cars get recalls all the time. Fram's acknowledged the defect, is making the recall and by acknowledging it I'd think making reparations of any failure in conjunction with Subaru as a result of the defect.

Amsoil had a tsb regarding oil filter extended oci's some time back. Afaik they made things right to anyone affected too.

A long as Fram and Subaru are making things right with affected customers, I've got no issue here. If not, then I'd have an issue.

As alluded to above though, it is a chink in the armor of those who preach that oem is always superior to aftermarket.

+1 It happens, even to the best of them.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Originally Posted By: cmorr

That's consistency !

WARNING: Your sig. The only filter thats ever failed me was a Napa Gold. Almost lost the engine. Lost all oil pressure. Lucky I had a replacement filter in the car. I'm not alone. Thread about it on here. No official recall to warn people. Thought you should know.

Do you have a link to this thread you are referring to?

I believe Honda had a problem when they changed from Filtec to Fram for the CRV with leaking or sticking gaskets. In that case I believe some fires occurred.

Originally Posted By: Rand

So, they'll only cover your filter under the recall if it's uninstalled? If your car currently has one of the recalled filters on it you're out of luck? That doesn't seem very fair.

I suppose their reasoning may be that people could return used filters. But, how many people would have old filters sitting around?

I guess it could also be that the leak would be immediately apparent, so if you have one and it's not leaking, then it's fine.

Still, I would not be pleased if my car had a recalled filter on it and they wouldn't take it back because it was installed.

EDIT - I'm guessing they won't accept installed filters because defective ones would be apparent pretty quick:
Quote:
does not allow the filter to fully contact with the engine block. In those instances, the gasket will either immediately
fail or fail within 300 miles of operation.

Though the production covers 23 days it is a relatively small number of filters we are talking about, Not that is any consolation to any one who may have gotten a defective one.

Fram new release from Feb 6th.
http://fram.com/company/news?year=2013

Quote:

FRAM Group Operations, LLC Issues Safety Related Defect Notice
Wednesday, February 6th 2013

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
FRAM Group Operations, LLC Issues Safety Related Defect Notice

Lake Forest, IL (February 6, 2013) – Today, FRAM Group Operations, LLC (“FRAM Filtration”), issued a Safety Related Defect Notice in connection with the Model 15208AA12A motor oil filter (“12A”), which FRAM Filtration manufactures exclusively for Subaru for distribution at Subaru dealerships. The 12A model is designed for use with Legacy, Outback, Forester and Impreza model vehicles with certain four cylinder engines where the motor filter is located beneath the engine. This notice only relates to un-installed filters sold over the counter at Subaru dealerships or sellers of authentic Subaru service parts between July 1, 2012 and December 15, 2012 and which match certain date codes in question. However, the notice does not apply to 12A filters installed at the dealership.

FRAM Filtration is recalling all uninstalled 12A filters which were manufactured over a period of 23 days in 2012 and were sold over the counter at Subaru dealerships to customers for self-installation or sold wholesale for resale to non-Subaru affiliated car maintenance operations.FRAM Filtration believes that a small percentage of these filters were manufactured out of specification – likely less than 356 total filters were available for distribution – and some portion of these filters may not properly seal against the engine block, causing the gasket to immediately fail or fail within 300 miles of operation. Gasket failure causes the vehicle to rapidly lose oil, which may cause a fire or engine damage.

FRAM advises that individuals who purchased the 12A filter over the counter between July 1, 2012 and December 15, 2015 review the Notice for details on how to identify an affected filter or call FRAM at 1-800-890-2075 before installation. Owners may exchange filters with matching date codes, at no charge, at any Subaru dealership.

Please direct any press inquires to Keith Zar, General Counsel at 847-482-4350.

For more information and full text of the Notice, please go to www.fram.com/Subaru_recall.

I also seem to remember a recall for the OLD white ones 15208AA09A made by Purolator.

http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.php/leaking-oem-oil-filter-info-5695.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Originally Posted By: Rand

So, they'll only cover your filter under the recall if it's uninstalled? If your car currently has one of the recalled filters on it you're out of luck? That doesn't seem very fair.

I suppose their reasoning may be that people could return used filters. But, how many people would have old filters sitting around?

I guess it could also be that the leak would be immediately apparent, so if you have one and it's not leaking, then it's fine.

Still, I would not be pleased if my car had a recalled filter on it and they wouldn't take it back because it was installed.

EDIT - I'm guessing they won't accept installed filters because defective ones would be apparent pretty quick:
Quote:
does not allow the filter to fully contact with the engine block. In those instances, the gasket will either immediately
fail or fail within 300 miles of operation.

If you just installed the oil filter in less than 50-100 mile, you're out of luck too and your car can be on fire next week or no oil in your engine after 300-500 miles.

If the recall oil filters are installed, then Fram should pay for oil change.

Last edited:
Quote:
It happens to the best of them...at least FRAM has the guts to issue a recall.

It's true that can happen to any of them including Fram. But I'd hardly use term guts, as in courage, to describe the motivation for the recall. More probable is avoiding greater liability for continuing to sell a known defective filter after the defect was discovered. These things have a way of coming out eventually. That and maintaining the integrity of being a Subaru oem supplier. So imo, CYA would a more appropriate term for the impetus.

It seems like there are much more complaints about defective Fram oil filters than the others.

This is what one of these filters looks like:

subaru_oem_oil_filter.jpg

The gasket is molded and held in place via that little lip. If you managed to remove the gasket, you'll need to carefully wedge the gasket back in. It's not like most aftermarket filters where the gasket is sliced off from a large rubber tube and where the gasket will typically be held in place by friction using crimping at the base. If I were to guess what the issue was with the recall, it would be that this lip was incorrectly formed and either the gasket might not stay in place or the lip was too high and would stop the spinning of the filter before the gasket had a positive seal.

I just bought a couple of the OEM blue cans for my Crosstrek. Different filter model but still doesn't give me a good vibe

Are these blue cans carbon copies of the orange cans guts wise??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back