G 12 ??? Anything Compatible??

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son has an 08 Audi that is a little low on anti-freeze.

It says G 12......Are there any "regular" coolants that I can use to top it off that are compatible?

If not, where do I find G 12?

Last edited:
Dexcool is very close to G-12, so in a pinch it can be used along with the all makes/all models type of dexclones. I've converted my 03 A6 over to Prestone AM/AM recently.

With an 08 Audi, it probably has G-12+ or G-12++ both of which have low levels of silicates. G-12 did not have silicates. Silicates are the acids that protect immediately after a full flush.

Your best bet would be to test the protection level and if it's good enough you can just top off with water until the proper G-12+ can be obtained. If not, a dexclone can be used in the short term, but a full flush should then be done to restore the G-12+.

G-12 will be light pink in color and G-12+ will be a darker violet/pinkish color.

G-12 can be found at most NAPA stores, and G-12+ can be found at Bumper to Bumper/Auto Value stores. Both are Pentosin brands, not the OE Audi stuff.

Last edited:
G13 is the new one, and it replaced G12/G12+/G12++.

It's actually not that expensive from VW/Audi dealers.

g12k.jpg

Why not just use the right stuff? If he cant afford it, then perhaps he shouldnt be putting on a show driving an Audi. I wouldnt personally say there is anything better in this case, so that isnt a quest worth going on.

Oreilly's carries Pentosin products. Pentosin Pentofrost++ is labeled by Pentosin as being correct for that model year Audi. You might give that a shot. I bought Pentofrost NF for my BMW there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back