1997 Toyota Camry - What kind of oil???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
As the age old question goes... WHAT KIND OF OIL DO I NEED!?!?

I couldn't find much about this car on here so I figured I'd ask.

Tomorrow I'm picking up a 1997 Toyota Camry 2.2L automatic with 185k miles for $1,700, going and seeing it today I noticed the oil filter was a little loose, I'm pretty sure that was the leak so I'm not worried at all. I know nothing about its previous history, I think just quick lube shops.

My question is what oil to use on it? I'll put about 12k per year on it I'm guessing and will always be up to temperature, not really short tripped. I have tons and tons of Valvoline NextGen Maxlife 10w40 I'd like to use on it but won't be heart broken if not.

The guy I'm buying it from says he bought it 3 years ago at around 100k and he drives to Colorado all the time which is what has made up the miles. I'm having a timing belt put on it too. Anything else I should watch out for?

Also what kind of filter? I always use Wix on my truck so Wix or a Toyota filter?

This is the craigslist ad: http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/4203857115.html

It's spec'd for 5w30 but will probably be fine with the 10w40, especially in summer. Makes good sense to use the tons of stockpiled Valvoline.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kuato
It's spec'd for 5w30 but will probably be fine with the 10w40, especially in summer. Makes good sense to use the tons of stockpiled Valvoline.

+1

When your Valvoline stash is gone, any decent 5W-30 with your favorite Wix filter will do.

I would use 5W30 in Phoenix winter and either your stash of Valvoline NextGen Maxlife 10w40 or 50-50 mix of 10W40 and 5W30 in summer.

You could mix 0w20 or 5w20 in with it, or just run the 10w40. Nice find by the way! Looks like a clean little car.

It is a sweet runner although it looks like it was painted by a 7 year old with a can of Krylon, maybe I'm too picky, but I don't really care I need reliability with good mpg.

97 camry would run off just about anything, but i think in AZ, 10w40 maxlife would be a great choice. Even if you didn't have it stashed. Forget 20w50, that will just use more gas. Focus on a good cooling system before it gets hot again.

I'd also grab some maxlife ATF, do a drain and fill on that trans, and change the steering fluid as well. Should be dexron as well.

Last edited:
With the 5S-FE being a sludger, I would keep the intervals down with conventional oil and no more than 5,000 miles with a decent synthetic. Whichever you choose to use.

I have been running my 95 2.2 for the last 35k with Super Tech Synthetic 5-30 7k OCI. All has been great. Mine was spec'd for 10-30 outa the factory (at least that's what the oil cap says).

Those 95 Camry's were unbelievable cars. We had many in the family with 92-96 Camry's and they never seemed to rust. The '95 was especially great due to it being the last year for the OBD-I and NYS Inspection. Love that!

Last edited:
$1700 with that many miles and a spray can paintjob?
Seriously,I wouldnt have given over $500.

Be aware,the rear trailing arm bushings on these cannot be replaced and you must buy new Toyota arms for $300 each.
Just saying..

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Seriously,I wouldnt have given over $500.

Be aware,the rear trailing arm bushings on these cannot be replaced and you must buy new Toyota arms for $300 each.
Just saying..

Remember different areas have different used car markets.

Any other car in this price range is beat and has more miles here in Phoenix.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
My question is what oil to use on it?
One that's of a specified grade (i.e. 5W or 10W-30).
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dareo
Focus on a good cooling system before it gets hot again.
Yes, cooling system issues are the cause of more engine failures than oil-related causes.

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
With the 5S-FE being a sludger, I would keep the intervals down with conventional oil and no more than 5,000 miles with a decent synthetic.
I think 5k miles is quite conservative in this application.

Originally Posted By: justinh384
Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Seriously,I wouldnt have given over $500...

Remember different areas have different used car markets.
thumbsup2.gif
But a homemade spray paint job would surely reduce any given vehicle's value; however, its effect on value is relatively insignificant on a 16-year-old daily driver like this.

The paint isn't as bad as I thought, first time I saw it it was raining, it isn't gorgeous but it's good enough

2uzcch0.jpg

I'd use Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W-30 in winter, and 10W-40 there in summer, based on the fact that those engines sometimes had sludging issues.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back