2012 Civic TPMS bypass...

Status
Not open for further replies.
For entertainment purposes only!

Just made my TPMS tube and put regular valve stems in the wheels for good. After installing the snow tires and not wanting to give in to the added costs of new TPMS stems or swapping them ($$$), I decided to try this... (Not my idea, youtube is a great thing... Sometimes)

Pressurized to 38 PSI and zip tied up in the trunk. Now my TPMS system stays in good standings with the computer, traction control still works and I can swap snow/summer tires without any further hassles. Life is good!

According to some research I have found, 2009 and new all have TPMS per government standards. What a crock... Sealed trannys now TPMS on everything. Whats next?

Yea, no joke the people at Home Depot gave me some looks for sure.

Maybe I should put it in a basketball and seal it up and pump it up :)

Originally Posted By: sw99
According to some research I have found, 2009 and new all have TPMS per government standards. What a crock... Sealed trannys now TPMS on everything. Whats next?

Why? I can tell when my [censored] tires low. Or flat, for that matter.

Hmm... I wonder if this will work on my Accord. I thought Honda TPMS had to be spinning to activate. Maybe the Civic and Accord are different?

LOL, so when the batteries die, youll have to cut that thing apart? What happens when it leaks out air?

The TPMS is a useful tool, assuming that the warning threshold is set right and the system works properly. Ive not had any issues, and at costco, the rebuids have cost all of $8 for one vehicle and $13 for another, with tax. Considering that tire shops charge $2 each for valve stems often, that's hardly a high expense...

When the time comes that the system needs parts replaced, sure, its a bit expensive. But Id imagine one could cover the important parts in a silicone grease, and the caps have o-rings in them, so all would stay well.

So I just dont get it.

Honda TPMS sensors need to be reprogrammed if they are switched vehicles ($40 around here). I refuse to pay the fees to switch them nor the hassle. Battery life on Honda TPMS is 10+ years so I'll deal with that later..... On the past three vehicle I have owned with TPMS, I have warnings for minimal pressure changes (IE, Colorado weather - hot/cold). Don't get it, well I do and I'm over it.

*stands and applauds the BITOG'er*

My 2008 Pilot has told me twice which tire was low.....each time it was.

But still:

*stands and applauds*

;-)

100+ years we have survived without this TPMS @%$#@%@. I'm good with monitoring it on my own (and checking my tranny fluid level).

Problem is that lots of people aren't capable of monitoring their tires. And while they can easily ignore a light on the dash, most folks aren't that stupid, so a little info goes a long way.

What bugs me is why there isn't more consistency in the product. There are how many designs, rebuild kits, etc?

It's still good info to have.

sw99,You wanna know whats next.. mandated(cafe) automatic central inflation to promote better mileage numbers for every manufacturer.

This would of course require a pcm or chassis control module raising prices of already technically overloaded vehicles.The government certainly cant have people actually be responsible for their own vehicles roadworthyness,oh wait ,what was i thinking.

There's already auto braking, that's right you no longer have to pay attention to the car in front of you,your 4000lb errand run mobile will stop all by itself.Emergency self steer ...on it's way.
They could skip all the nonsense and require real driver training and an IQ and/or EQ test before being able to obtain an operators license.

It's like a little time capsule in there! You have the sweet sweet air of freedom, condensed of course. Should have thrown some trinkets in to surprise yourself in ten years. "A gigabyte flash drive? hahahahaha"

32.gif
I wonder if a mason canning jar could take the pressure. Would be cool to have a little window to see those things, bragging rights, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back