Why Doesn't Pennzoil Seal Their Oil Jugs Better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why don't pennzoil put the silver seal on their jugs like super tech and some of the others. I was in wal mart and the guy working there said pennzoil containers leak and to make sure the top is on. He said he just cleaned up a mess and he does not even want to put that "stuff" on the shelves because it causes him more work cleaning up. I guess that is why i could not find pennzoil semi synthetic in the 5 qt, jugs anywhere in sight.I will use my bulk oil for my next oil change its less of a hassle.

Good question. I would write a "complaint" letter to Pennzoil. I bought a jug of PP that was opened already. I believe Mobil Super 5k jugs are sealed with foil, if a $13 oil can be packaged properly why can't a $26 one be?

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I will use my bulk oil for my next oil change its less of a hassle.

I intend to do the same.

I had a quart of Pennzoil Synchromesh pour out all over my passenger seat. The cap wasn't on tight. I checked the caps on the other 3 quarts, they were all loose.

I think you answered your own question. It's more trouble for the retailers than the general public. If I'm buying Pennzoil, I find something that isn't obviously leaking, and one can usually find one or two that are leaking. I bring home a good one and the retailer is stuck with the mess.

Mobil's foil seal is nice in that regard, but takes marginally more work to open.
wink.gif

There is no excuse for a major to not have foil seals on their product. Even Peak has a foil seal!

Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
There is no excuse for a major to not have foil seals on their product. Even Peak has a foil seal!

What about risks of foil seal getting into engine?

honestly they can put a peel off one that comes off in one piece pennzoil is losing business with their leakers some people wont buy them knowing they leak i just became one of them

Sometimes bottle designs (even custom mass produced ones) don't have options for lids that come with foil seals. Other times it just isn't cost effective, adding even 2 cents to the cost of production on an oil that retails for $4 can be an issue.

There are other risks too. Most people don't remove the entire seal, just puncture and pour - whether it comes off when you make that first puncture, or as you are pouring - a small piece of the seal getting into the oil can be a real problem, especially since you are usually pouring your oil directly into the engine and there is a chance it won't make its way to the filter. Imagine if it blocked an oil gallery or even worse got pulled into a bearing. IMO it's just not worth the risk.

There may be some good BITOGers who can remove the seals without any issue but a rule in marketing is to follow murphy's law. Oil without seals may leak if you put the bottle on it's side (which if you do that you are asking for it IMO)but they keep us safe from the logically challenged.

Oh, certainly. Mobil likes their foil seals, and I use caution. The peel off ones are great, but expensive. Regane uses them, but as you've seen up here at least, Regane is ridiculously overpriced except when on sale. For a $15 bottle, that tiny, they can afford a peel off tab.
wink.gif

And it's certainly not SOPUS's fault that shippers and shelf stockers and customers are idiots when it comes to handling product. If people think a box of oil with a small leak is a mess, try it with a flat of syrup sometime.
wink.gif

My last jug of Mobil Super 5000 had a foil seal that was on incorrectly. It didn't fully cover the opening. I couldn't tell before I bought it, because the cap is one of those breakaway ones that leaves a ring at the base when opened.

Would it be fatal damage if a little chunk of foil seal made its way into the engine?
One downside to jugs instead of quarts? ha-ha. Little worrisome.

Last edited:
Just check the cap ring and twist the cap on tight when you buy a jug.
I've never had a leaky jug of any brand of oil.
Maybe I've just been lucky.
I'd just as soon not have a foil seal under the cap.

I purchase about 12 jugs of Pennzoil per year never have had any issues and have used brands will the foil and did not like the chance of getting it in my engine.

To crazyoildude.

I think only SOPUS quality control could answer that question.

I personally never had a problem of 5 quart jugs losing the seal on the bottles. But it is easy to see how that can happen.

Originally Posted By: Ayrton
Originally Posted By: MrQuackers

What about risks of foil seal getting into engine?

1 dollar funnel

178189.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back