Good floor jack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad I could help. I found a used 3 1/2 ton on CL for $55 which I am going to get.

Hydraulic jack oil goes to the same place on earth that single socks in the dryer go. At present its an unknown place.

The Arcans at Northern tool scared me a bit with their porous welds that were ground down to hide them.

I also read a few reviews about people buying 3 or 4 and keeping the good one of the bunch and sending the rest back.

I ended up just getting Napa's 3.5 ton service jack. Been very happy with it. It was on sale for $250.

Originally Posted By: SIXSPEED
I'm happy with the Steel 3.25 Ton Arcan jack I bought at Costco last year after all three of my HF Aluminum jacks failed after 5 years of occasional use. Noticed yesterday that the Costco price went down a bit from $104.99 to $99.99.

Costco used to carry what looked like the same jack rated for 3-1/2 tons. $99.99. Then it went to 3-1/4 ton for 104.00. Same specifications except for lifting capacity. I suspect it was the same jack down-rated.

Good to know that the price has dropped. Love that jack. Use it all the time (3-1/2 ton version).

New guy here. Thinking about a larger jack. So I thought I would ask my question.

Any thoughts on a aluminum vs steel jack when you up to the 3 ton range? A good steel one may well be over 100 lbs and if you are an old shadetree mechanic, thats a lot. Aluminum is more expensive yes.

I just wanted to post this since I got a WebAd for this jack which brought me here.

I came across some info and posted it on YOUTUBE about upgrading any jack especially these "Flashy Chinese Aluminum" jacks that some have problems with being reliable and down right unsafe!

See the "22nd" post down in the forum below by "44Dwarf" who said:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/best-aluminum-jack/48687/page2/

Step 1: Buy new Harbor Freight Jack.
Step 2: Drain Oil
Step 3: Take apart and inspect both pump and main bore. Fine hone (Brake Hone ect.) as needed.

Step 4: clean, Clean, CLEAN!!!
Step 5: Replace seals / o-rings with quality Viton units from McMaster Carr or other good supplier.

Step 6: Fill with oil and enjoy. I've got 15+ yrs. our of a "Big Red" jack I bought new at 75% off due to it leaking in the box. Love this jack, it had a pedal on the side raising it to the frame = less pumpi
ng.

Here's another review where I posted the same on Youtube about a Pitts. Aluminum Jack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izFzFHxQ_3g

Hope this helps other's to keep these Chinese Flashy Aluminum Jacks safe!

Regards,
Chris

Last edited:
Just so everyone knows, if you read reviews on Harbor Freight, Northern Tool, Sears, Youtube, ect., many have problems with these Aluminum Jacks.

Hopefully the instructions I posted above can make them into reliable and safe jacks.

From what I remember reading on some forum or the Youtube link is to also choose a jack with some kind of dust shield around the piston to keep debris out.

I'd still use jack stands anyway!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald

Hydraulic jack oil goes to the same place on earth that single socks in the dryer go. At present its an unknown place.

thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back