I found another bio based lube (LUBEGARD) to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all this talk about bio based lubes I began doing some research on them and stumbled across Lubegard Premium Universal lubricant.

Propaganda from their website:

DESCRIPTION:
LUBEGARD® PREMIUM UNIVERSAL LUBRICANT is formulated for the safe
assembly and disassembly of transmissions, engines, gear boxes, pumps or any other
general use. It also can be used as a general purpose lubricant in applications, including,
but not limited to, automotive, marine, industrial, household, small equipment,
recreational and other general use.
This unique product contains LXE® (Liquid Wax Esters) Technology, which allows the
product to strongly attach to metal surfaces giving superior lubrication properties. It
protects equipment and is non-harmful to the user and environment. The active
ingredients of LUBEGARD® PREMIUM UNIVERSAL LUBRICANT do not contain solid
particles, or petroleum solvents.
BENEFITS:
• Specially designed for the automotive industry, but great for general lubrication needs
• Keeps valves and governors free during assembly
• Easy to use, simplifies and expedites the transmission assembly process
• Contains New Biosynthetic formula with superior cold flow properties
• Environmentally responsible, non-aerosol and non-flammable, Biodegradable
(EPA/560/6-82/003 and aquatically non-toxic (EPA/600/4-90/027), user friendly
• Lubricates solenoid valve & other mechanical components
• LXE® Technology has a natural polarity that strongly attaches to the metal surfaces
providing superior lubrication
• Excellent penetrant and protects against rust
• Not harmful to seals or O-rings, or wiring harnesses

MSDS

This looks mighty interesting and it is less than a dollar an ounce on Amazon. I have no affiliation with the company other than I used their transmission additive to fix transmission shudder in my old F150. I may try this in the future but I probably have a gallon of various other products to use up first. What do you guys think?

Last edited by a moderator:
LubeGard seems like they have some good products. I don't think it is all hype. I have used some of their additives, one in particular was LubeGard Oil treatment/additive and it seemed to smooth out my old Jeep cherokee I had. Just butt dyno observation. LubeGard is the only stuff I will put into one of my engines.

Interesting! Lubeguard is one of the only additive companies I trust and use regularly. Lubegard's regular red bottle transmission additive really smooths out a transmission.

The general purpose lube sounds good too. The only thing I am hesitant about is the "biosynthetic" part. In my experience, bio-based lubes like soy oil based lubes gum and get sticky realy quick. I absolutely loved the soy bean oil based "Ultra-lube 1" from plews edlemann until I saw it getting gummy and sticky in only a few weeks time.

Lets hope this lube does not gum up or get sticky either. I sounds well worth a try though.

I have used Lubegard red in my trannys for years. Many rebuilders use and recommend it.

I have had positive results using red lubegard in my montero transmission that has shuddering. Not gone but much improved to a barely noticeable shudder.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
For guns, I'm sticking with Ballistol.

Ballistol has to be the stinkiest gun chemical I've ever smelled. It is even worse than the old Tetra oil. Unless I'm shooting black powder or corrosive comm block ammo I don't want my oil miscible with water.

Hey, odor is in the nose of the beholder! I like the smell of Ballistol. To me, it smells like black licorice candy and is very enjoyable.

The part about it being hygroscopic (absorbs water), that is true and is one of Ballistol's biggest downsides. Ballistol is a poor choice for gun storage because of the fact that it will actually absorb moisture out of the air over time.

However, being hygroscopic is also what allows Ballistol to mix with water and make a good black powder and corrosive ammo cleaner. I also use a mixture of 10% Ballistol to 90% water, called moose milk for detailing my engine bays. A plus side to Ballistol mixing with water is that it will also continue to lubricate if the parts that were treated with it get exposed to water. Conversely, You can also spray a soaking wet gun down with Ballistol and it will lubricate and protect the parts until you can get home and properly dry the parts.

If Ballistol qualifies as a "bio-based" lube is a point of contention also. The base oil in Ballistol is mineral oil but it does contain at least 1 plant ingredient, anise oil. Not exactly what I call a bio-lube but for most people it is.

Originally Posted By: AMC
Hey, odor is in the nose of the beholder! I like the smell of Ballistol. To me, it smells like black licorice candy and is very enjoyable.

The part about it being hygroscopic (absorbs water), that is true and is one of Ballistol's biggest downsides. Ballistol is a poor choice for gun storage because of the fact that it will actually absorb moisture out of the air over time.

However, being hygroscopic is also what allows Ballistol to mix with water and make a good black powder and corrosive ammo cleaner. I also use a mixture of 10% Ballistol to 90% water, called moose milk for detailing my engine bays. A plus side to Ballistol mixing with water is that it will also continue to lubricate if the parts that were treated with it get exposed to water. Conversely, You can also spray a soaking wet gun down with Ballistol and it will lubricate and protect the parts until you can get home and properly dry the parts.

If Ballistol qualifies as a "bio-based" lube is a point of contention also. The base oil in Ballistol is mineral oil but it does contain at least 1 plant ingredient, anise oil. Not exactly what I call a bio-lube but for most people it is.

You are absolutely right about the smell being subjective from person to person. I can only find the aerosol Ballistol locally and never have used the liquid type. It may be like Eezox where I can't stand the aerosol version but I enjoy the smell of the squeeze can non aerosol version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back