0W-20 Honda Synthetic Blend? good stuff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mclasser
I believe Honda motor oil is made by Conoco-Phillips and is good stuff, but there are other good quality oils out there for cheaper prices.

Cheaper than free? I'd like to get in on that deal; please forward me the details.

So much for reading comprehension in this thread. Yes, C-P is the current blender of the Honda Genuine motor oil, and even the syn blend will be fine for the Civic you are looking to buy. The only Honda engine that may not do well on the blend is the VCM 3.5 V6. It appears that the cylinder head that gets shut down cools off too much and varnish can build up.

If they are throwing in free oil changes for life, and you are not overpaying on the price of the car to compensate for the freebies, then take the offer and go in whenever the MM tells you to. Just learn to politely say "no" to all of the upsells they try every time.

Theres NOTHING free at a dealership. If there offering you free lifetime oil changes it means they're juicing the price somewhere (APR,extended warranty,options). I doubt the dealer uses any Honda oil, just the cheapest whatever grade they can get. Just my 2cents.

The dealer told me if I have an independent shop do ALL the maintenance, it may void my warranty. Any truth to that at all??
I agreed that the whole "free oil changes for life" is a total scam. I seriously doubt that
they are using total quality oil.
I would feel MUCH safer just doing 6000 OCI, WITH tire rotation, at my AAA approved shop I have been using for many years. I think following this routine is a nice compromise between the silly 3000 OCI and the super long 10,000 OCI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: flinter
The dealer told me if I have an independent shop do ALL the maintenance, it may void my warranty. Any truth to that at all??
I agreed that the whole "free oil changes for life" is a total scam. I seriously doubt that
they are using total quality oil.
I would feel MUCH safer just doing 6000 OCI, WITH tire rotation, at my AAA approved shop I have been using for many years. I think following this routine is a nice compromise between the silly 3000 OCI and the super long 10,000 OCI.

They have to use an oil that meets honda's specification. If not I suggest contacting head office. I'm sure they would be interesting in knowing their dealer isn't using an oil approved and specified by Honda,and thereby possibly voiding the consumers warranty even though the consumer followed the rules to the letter.

There is no truth in that statement. As long as you shop is using an oil that meets the Honda spec, everything is fine.

Personally, if a dealership ever told me that I'd never set foot in the place again. That's a screaming red flag that it a stealership, not a dealership.

D-I-Y !!!

Oil changes and tire rotations are super simple and get you familiar with your car and save you $ over the lifetime of it. Stock up on oil and filter when on sale/rebate and you can DIY oil changes for ~$5 and a little bit of your time.

If you don't want to DIY, I'd go for the free oil changes... 1) verify what oil and filter they use and 2) turn down everything they try to upsell
Cabin air filter - another easy DIY
Wiper blades, etc.

Well, I live in a upscale condo community,with no garage or driveway, who frowns upon seeing cars on ramps and jacks doing maintenance and oil changes. So
I would use my local indepedent shop that I trust 100%.

Last edited:
Well, I live in a upscale condo community,with no garage or driveway, who frowns upon seeing cars on ramps and jacks doing maintenance and oil changes. So
I would use my local indepedent shop that I trust 100%.

I do it anyways. Car on ramps about a half hour ago, in fact.

"""The only Honda engine that may not do well on the blend is the VCM 3.5 V6. It appears that the cylinder head that gets shut down cools off too much and varnish can build up."""

Want to try that one again?????????????????

The shut down cylinders run HOT AND THAT CAUSES VARNISH

internet boards bahhhhhh......................

Originally Posted By: steve20
"""The only Honda engine that may not do well on the blend is the VCM 3.5 V6. It appears that the cylinder head that gets shut down cools off too much and varnish can build up."""

Want to try that one again?????????????????

The shut down cylinders run HOT AND THAT CAUSES VARNISH

lol I thought it was the still-running cylinders that run hot and cause varnish.

Is honda (conoco) the only one that makes a 0W-20 synthetic blend?

I looked online for other OW-20 synthetic blends and honda one was the only one I could find in that grade.

synth blended 0w-20: AC-Delco (dealerships and O'Reilly),
Motorcraft, Havoline, Valvoline MaxLife
I'd use any 0w-20 that was good enough to meet the tougher dexos1 specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back