PQIA Tests 5W-20 Motor Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their copy says something about the use of 5W-20 growing. I'm not sure about that, since the carmakers that went to 5W-20 are nearly all shifting to 0W-20 by now.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Their copy says something about the use of 5W-20 growing. I'm not sure about that, since the carmakers that went to 5W-20 are nearly all shifting to 0W-20 by now.

Yup. And then they backspec their older models to allow for 0W-20.

Yep Havoline looks the best out of the bunch. I can't find much wrong with it except it needs a little more moly. I sure hope they do the top tier conventional and synthetics soon.

Interesting. Isn’t there decent evidence that VIIs come with volatility drawbacks in some/many cases though? I would have expected the 5w20s to do better than the 5w30s.

The havoline is full synthetic and the rest are conventional and blends? It should be the winner out of this group tested.

I'd like to see the dino Havoline DS 5W20 as I have a boat load of it, as well as a decent stash of the Havoline Synthetic 5W20

Last edited:
Interesting how the lightest -30C oil tested, and second highest VI, also has the lowest NOACK.

Last edited:
these seem like odd brands to start withother than the shell and havline. where's sopus, mobil, Valvoline, ST, AZ, AAP etc. guess coming later

Originally Posted By: SLATRON
these seem like odd brands to start withother than the shell and havline. where's sopus, mobil, Valvoline, ST, AZ, AAP etc. guess coming later

Most people aren't suspicious of the big brands, although I suppose they wanted to have a representative sample. Even so, I know some people who are suspicious about the quality of FormulaShell, since it's traditionally been a bargain brand when sold in the US.

The last time I remember Shell heavily marketing motor oil in the US was for "Fire & Ice":

$%28KGrHqZ,!lQFGiR-vq!EBRomN,n!6!~~60_57.JPG

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
PQIA has completed it's first round of testing on 5W-20 oils. Many of the Noack results are pushing the limit, and some have exceeded it. Otherwise they look as expected.

Petroleum Quality Institute of America

Tom NJ

I can't seem to find these tests on there. Can you give the exact place it is?

Wayne

Oil samples are purchased on a random basis as found in retail outlets. There is no effort to target or avoid any brands. Additional 5W-20 samples will be forthcoming.

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ

Oil samples are purchased on a random basis as found in retail outlets. There is no effort to target or avoid any brands. Additional 5W-20 samples will be forthcoming.

Tom NJ

I'd like to see PQIA officially test G-OIL's 5W-20 offerings. I just ran and posted two VOAs, so I think they would be rated well.

Take a look and see if they would be worth testing:

5W-20 Advanced SM: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3187459#Post3187459

5W-20 SN: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3188731#Post3188731

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Even so, I know some people who are suspicious about the quality of FormulaShell, since it's traditionally been a bargain brand when sold in the US.

That seems to be the unfortunate legacy of Shell taking over Pennzoil-Quaker State. They got two of the most highly recognized oil brands out there, but their own product suffered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back