E-15 vs. E-0 fuel test in snowmobile engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the newest issue of Snow Tech magazine there are test results performed by the Michigan Tecnological University study that was funded by our DOE (Department of Energy) on E-15 fuel use. Snowmobile engines were chosen, because most are fuel injected, but do not have the sophistication to compensate for changing fuel trims (fixed fuel trims at various RPM's).
8 different models were used (4 new and 4 legacy).

4 tests were performed to evaluate cold start performance (20 degrees F, 0 degrees F, and -20 degrees F),emissions, durability and vehicle driveability.

Cold start performance: this evaluation included time to start, engine speed, exhaust gas temperature and start up emissions. Result: there were no significant differences observed.

Driveability: this was analyzed using a blind subjective evaluation using a controlled test course. Result: drivers could not discern which fuel was being used.

Durability: The vehicles were driven 5,000 miles and there were no engine failures on either E-0 or E-15.

Emissions: carbon monoxide emissions were reduced by 10% to 35% using E-15 relative to E-0. Formaldehyde emissions were increased by 35% consistently on E-15.

The EPA did not approve E-15 in snowmobiles for one reason only. At full throttle, the EGT's were obseved to be higher at sustained full throttle operations. This gave all the manufacturers concern. Too bad the fuel trims could not be added to limit this increase.

Overall, much better than I would have guessed.

I've heard of the formaldehyde emissions being increased on ethanol, but didn't think it was that much.

The long-term effect of E15 would be corrosion of the fuel system and breakdown of hoses. Did the MTU study have any such tests or did they inspect for such indications? They ran 5000 miles, which seems like a long-term test for a snowmobile.

Kinda surprised me.
i have a safari lc early 1990's. fresh overhaul to engine, 15minutes runtime.
I have amsoil injector oil for it and plan rec90 only. i may say with e10 since it is way cheaper when you drink 5gallon jerry cans like water.

ken

the Olympic gets what ever oil is cheap and the fuel is e10. Prim the carb and runner on the second pull. we put tons of miles on the old bubble and it won't die.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back