debating on first rifle, high point 995 VS 10/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking to possibly pick up my first rifle. I've only shot a few 9mm rounds out of the pistol.

With the weird gun laws in play for the city of chicago, i'm not going to get a handgun just yet. I got my FOID card already.

I'm looking for a $250-$350 range rifle. Something good to take to the range and home defense as well. I'm looking for something a little cheap on ammo.

I'm debating on Ruger 10/22 Takedown and the Hi-point 995TS.

I'm going to see if i can get my hands on these locally this friday. The takedown is a blackfriday deal at $329, looks to be about $20 off normal price.

Last edited:
Your Price range will difficult. At least for new. Maybe a Marlin 22 rifle for fun?

My first rifle was a Ruger Mini-14 great rifle if you like a peep hole site. New though they are way out of your budget.

Jeff

The Ruger 10/22 is a great gun, we put about 600 rounds through the one my buddy picked up the other weekend. His dad has an older one with the stainless barrel and has been excellent.

I think he got the gun with a scope for ~$500.0.

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
Your Price range will difficult. At least for new. Maybe a Marlin 22 rifle for fun?

My first rifle was a Ruger Mini-14 great rifle if you like a peep hole site. New though they are way out of your budget.

Jeff

My price range is that for a reason. I might say this isn't for me and have it collect dust, low buy point makes it easier to sell and not take a huge loss.

Home proetection is a big 2nd on the list. I just wanna have fun with my own little toy.

10/22 is big on my list. Mainly because its a proven gun and its like a chevy 350 of rifles. Everyone has had one at some point, parts and mods are dime a dozen. They are cheap ( entry level rifles are $250ish)

Its just at the price point maybe the Hi point with the lifetime warranty is a better buy.

I'm willing the pay more for that takedown because its a smaller size when packed away. I understand its about $100 more for that option, which is like 33% more.

I never had a rifle in my hand before so hopefully one will speak to me.

The highpoint carbine is quite good for the money. I'd rather have a Kel-Tec sub 2000 but those are a lot harder to find in stock.

10/22 is a classic must own rifle but its only a 22lr. Carbine fired 9mm is pretty potent and accurate.

Skip the Hi-point. Resale on them sucks, they're uglier than sin, accuracy isn't very good, and they're not known for being durable.

The 10/22 is a great little blaster, but it's only a .22LR. That's fine for rabbits and squirrels, but not so good for anything that will kick in your door in the middle of the night. Even 10 rounds delivered center of mass is not guaranteed to be a fight stopper as penetration is low.

A friend has four 10/22s, one of which is the takedown model. He's happy with it, for what it is.

Kel-Tec Sub2000 is better than a 10/22, at least in terms of caliber, but reliability reports on them aren't great.

Another option for a pistol-caliber carbine is the Beretta CX4, but that's outside your budget.

If you really need a home defense firearm for less than $350 and you can't/won't get a handgun, a shotgun is about the only thing that'll fit the bill. A 12ga pump is an expert's weapon, as they are slow to load, have significant recoil, and can be troublesome to operate properly while under stress. However, they are inexpensive, generally reliable and durable, and offer excellent terminal ballistics.

For fun and low cost, you can't beat a 10/22.

Buy a ruger and don't think twice. a marlin is a nice rifle too but i would opt for 10/22. 10/22's if oiled and kept clean are bullet proof. i have atleast 8 rugers and never repaired one or have a miss fire. Me and the brother will plunk a brick at one setting. Can't tell you the thousands of rounds shoot.

ken

If you aren't a looks snob, buy the Hi-Point and don't look back. I have the 45 carbine and there should be a law against having such a fun gun. And [censored] to the accuracy posts too, that's likely from someone who never shot one. I'm going to pick up a 9mm carbine to go along with all of my Hi-Point pistols. I have plenty of other manufacturers guns but nothing beats the Hi-Point for value.

High point carbines are quite accurate, and they are so cheap that you really don't need to resell them. Would i want 200 bucks, or whatever a used carbine goes for, or a spare dependable firearm? Easy answer there.

So try a carbine, you will like it. You will probably want a lot of other guns in the future too. You can always keep the carbine as a beater gun.

While any gun is better than no gun if you are seriously considering home defense as a priority I'd choose a 12 gauge shotgun over a rifle (and even a handgun). You can buy a Stevens Model 320 with an 18.5" barrel for $250 pretty much anywhere. A Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 are also solid choices if you are willing to spend $400-$500 and are available as tactical models with 18.5" barrels and extended mag tubes. Shotguns also have great versatility with buckshot and slugs....a shotgun essentially becomes a .77 caliber rifle when loaded with slugs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: c502cid
If you aren't a looks snob, buy the Hi-Point and don't look back. I have the 45 carbine and there should be a law against having such a fun gun. And [censored] to the accuracy posts too, that's likely from someone who never shot one. I'm going to pick up a 9mm carbine to go along with all of my Hi-Point pistols. I have plenty of other manufacturers guns but nothing beats the Hi-Point for value.

LOL, the definition of inaccurate is the Chinese AK47 I shot a couple of years back. You'd have better groupings throwing the bullets by hand
grin.gif

I guess i suck at wording. I wrote home defense is a BIG 2, what i meant to say was its not really a big deal, #1 is more important and that is have fun on the cheap.

The side benefit of having a gun is home protection yes. And if i do enjoy guns, most likely i'll get a 12g or 20g mainly for home.

I'm waiting for the state police and etc to get their act together on the CCW and etc before i go ahead and get something.

I'm not a looks snob, i've liked all guns. Well all but guns with the wooden stocks. I'm a more modern style person. Hopefully Cabela's and other gun ranges i'm hitting up has some in stock.

The 10/22 will last you a long time and have tons of upgrades and aftermarket parts. You can change everything about that gun except the caliber. The Hi-Point Carbine I have heard good reviews on and it is nice and compact. Personally I don't trust their build quality. The 10/22 is a proven gun.

If you don't mind the Black Friday mindset of 22 ammo these days and can get a handle on some, I'd go with the Ruger in a heartbeat. Marlin makes some good rifles too, like the 64.

One .22 I always praise is the Henry Lever Action. Man those things are smooth. And accurate. I could hunt chipmunks with that thing and not miss.

The trade offs with the Hi Point as far as quality are not in the reliability or the accuracy. Its more of a clunker than other guns. Crude, but effective. Great entry gun due to price and they actually hold up to some heavy use and abuse, plus a lifetime warranty should they break. Will you shoot it much after you have better guns? Probably not, but i still like having mine around just in case.

Ok couple questions that i wasn't really able to find out since my google-fu is weak.

Is that 10/22 takedown worth the $320-350 price point. I read a lot of people saying just get basic one for $165-229 at the gun shows. Or a stock carbine model non takedown for $220 at Wal-mart. No Walmart near me has one.

Also there is a tactical model i'm trying to find info on.

Ideally i would like to do little mods to it, one with be to mount a scope or laser dot on it. I'm pretty sure i dont want to use the stock sights.

Last edited:
I love my 10/22. Mine is an older one, with all metal parts, a stainless barrel and synthetic stock. It simply works properly. Quite accurate too. I put a Nikon "prostaff" rimfire BDC scope on it, and can be found fairly cheaply too.

They are not the easiest guns to disassemble and clean. But, certainly not impossible for a novice.

And, you can upgrade many of the plastic parts with real metal! And, make it a really nice firearm doing so. I did a couple of little upgrades to mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back