3/4 ton Suburban vs pickup for towing

Status
Not open for further replies.
At some point in the next few years I will most likely be looking for a new (used) vehicle to replace the 1999 Suburban 2500 that currently serves horse trailer towing duty. My preferred course of action would be to get rid of the horses but my wife has veto'd that option
smile.gif

Our Suburban is getting a little tired and is close to its limit dealing with our horse trailer loaded up. I may do some suspension work on it to improve it for a while longer but regardless it's going to have to be replaced at some point. Both of us like the Suburban form factor quite a bit. We've used its passenger capacity on plenty of occasions and it provides a nice, secure place for stuff + dog during weekend activities. All things being equal we'd like to replace it with another Suburban, but all things are not really equal since:

1) Recent (2007+) 3/4 ton Suburbans are very hard to find.
2) The rated tow capacity is less on Suburbans than on 3/4 ton pickups.

New trucks seem to have come a long way in terms of power and driving refinement and I'm guessing nearly anything current would feel more confident towing than our current rig. But if we're going to spend the $$ for a relatively new replacement truck I want it to tow REALLY nicely. Does anyone have any experience towing with newer 2500 Suburbans? How much does the towing experience really sacrifice when compared to an "equivalent" pickup?

Originally Posted By: rationull
How much does the towing experience really sacrifice when compared to an "equivalent" pickup?

Other than lacking the ability to utilize the superior fifth-wheel/gooseneck hitch, you're not giving up a thing. The only reason that you can get a higher rating with the equivalent pickup is due to the availability of a 4.10 axle ratio (whereas the 3/4 ton Suburban is limited to a 3.73). With the 3.73, they're rated for the same (around 9,500lbs).

This is for 2012 model year, both 2500's with the 6.0 gas engine.

Edit -- Exactly what problems are you having with the current tow rig -- handling/stability, braking, power, etc?

Last edited:
Interesting, I didn't realize the 4.10 wasn't available on the newer Suburbans -- too bad.

Handling/stability is the biggest problem with our current setup. More power would be nice (it's hilly around here and we live near a 3 mile 7% grade) but that isn't a big problem right now. Our '99 has the 454 and 4.10 axle, but IMO is let down a bit by the 4 speed transmission. The brakes are fine -- feel isn't great but they are powerful enough and we have electric brakes on the trailer of course.

We are running a weight distribution hitch and it helps but it's a little clunky and finicky. But that might be required on a newer truck anyway for bumper pull. If we got a pickup there's a chance this trailer would be replaced eventually with a gooseneck. Honestly the truck could probably use new shocks and possibly springs, and would probably also drive better with a bunch of front end parts replaced. There doesn't seem to be excessive play anywhere AFAICT, but it definitely drives "like a truck". My wife is the primary driver (she's the one into horses, not me) and I know she'd appreciate the generally more solid feel that newer trucks seem to have. I don't know how much of that is worn components vs platform design that's evolved a ton since the GMT-400 platform was introduced ~20 years ago.

I would LOVE to find a late model 8.1 liter 'burb but I've nearly given up on it!

Is this something that could be partially solved by a nice camper shell over a truck bed? They make extra tall ones one can walk in, and it might help gradually bring the air up and over your horse trailer. They make "tradesman" types one can almost stand up in... for the guy who should have bought a van.
wink.gif

Sorry to go off topic, but when did the 4.10 become available on the Vortec 7400 equipped Suburbans? Buddy of mine has a '97, which has a locker 3.73 on it, and around here it's very difficult to come by a 4.10 equipped model from that era.

Speaking of which, I re-did the suspension on that truck. Went with Raybestos Professional Grade front end parts, but the SACHS Supertouring shock absorbers completely transformed the vehicle's handling characteristics!

First, I would scratch the 2007 model year off your list of Suburbans. They have the new body style, which means an integrated hitch, which limits you to 1,000 lbs of tongue weight but they still have the old 4-speed auto trans. At least with the 2008+ Suburbans you get the 6-speed auto with the 3.73 gears which will tow nearly 10,000 lbs pretty well. It would tow better than a 4-speed with 4.10 gears. I just bought a 2003 8.1L 4x4 Suburban because the 2000-2006 model years don't have the same hitch limitations. You can replace the factory hitch with a beefy Reese or Curt hitch. I think the 3rd row seat is more comfortable in the 2000-2006 years compared to the 2007+ years anyway, plus you can get the 8.1L in those years which gives you up to 12,000 lbs of towing capacity with the 4.10 gears. 3.73 gears give you maybe 10,500?

I think the biggest advantage of the newer trucks over a Suburban are the longer wheelbase they provide. That makes for a more stable towing experience, especially if you get a crew cab. The wheelbase is much longer than on a Suburban. If you think you'll want to get a goose neck trailer, then get a truck obviously. You didn't say how big the horse trailer was but it must be pretty good sized. You'll probably want to stick with a weight distribution hitch regardless although if you go really new (2011+ for GM) they no longer require a w/d hitch. I'd guess part of your dissatisfaction with the Suburban currently is that it is a bit worn out and needs new shocks.

If you want a 8.1L Suburban, I'd recommend looking for a 2003-2006 model year and you'll have to do a nationwide search and avoid one from the rust belt. I live in MI and had to fly down to Knoxville, TN to buy mine. I was willing to go anywhere in the country to get one. There aren't a lot out there but they do exist. Good luck!

Suburban fans are a pretty loyal bunch, but I'd consider a diesel Excursion. A decent 4 door diesel pickup would really offer a lot of flexibility down the road, and even the 2003 I use is surprisingly civilized, given its capability.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Is this something that could be partially solved by a nice camper shell over a truck bed? They make extra tall ones one can walk in, and it might help gradually bring the air up and over your horse trailer. They make "tradesman" types one can almost stand up in... for the guy who should have bought a van.
wink.gif

That was my first thought.

Originally Posted By: 951Indy
Suburban fans are a pretty loyal bunch, but I'd consider a diesel Excursion. A decent 4 door diesel pickup would really offer a lot of flexibility down the road, and even the 2003 I use is surprisingly civilized, given its capability.

I had a 93 Suburban 1500. I had to tow a gas trailer behind it because it was so thirsty. And yearly replacement of the fuel pump in the tank. I guess I was not a loyal Suburban fan.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I had a 93 Suburban 1500. I had to tow a gas trailer behind it because it was so thirsty. And yearly replacement of the fuel pump in the tank. I guess I was not a loyal Suburban fan.

The owners I know wouldn't trade them for anything, but they knew the MPG going in. When you compare the seat/mile cost, they are much more appealing.

A couple using it to haul horses isn't probably the best application.

How heavy do you tow? How long is the trailer?

I have an 02 3/4 Silverado with 4.10's and the 6.0. Does much better than my old TBI 454, never did have to do a fuel pump in that.
wink.gif

I tow a 32 foot travel trailer that weighs in at 7500 to 8000 loaded. Truck has no porblem keeping up with traffic. The 6 speed would be nice, but the 4L80E with 4.10s does good.

Thing about a full size van, is while a capable tow vehicle, they are hard to come by, parts are different, and they just have a different feel with the shorter wheelbase.

Long wheel base vans don't have a shorter wheelbase. Sometimes they can be found quite cheap and clean since most people don't want or think about them.

If i had to tow anything heavier than what my T100 can do, i would be in a 5.9 Cummins truck. Preferably a mega cab 6 speed, but only a 5.9l early 2007 or older. They even recalled the front end parts, that was one big con of those vehicles, and they are fixing them.

How many miles/year are we talking about? A big gas motor might get it done cheaper than a diesel. Not sure how abused a cargo van would be, not if it was off a fleet and received something approaching maintance.

Originally Posted By: supton
How many miles/year are we talking about? A big gas motor might get it done cheaper than a diesel. Not sure how abused a cargo van would be, not if it was off a fleet and received something approaching maintance.

I think the main problem is a cargo van is a 2 person vehicle. You can add seats but its not all that nice back there, although having an interior you can hose down done does have it merits for a family vehicle...

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: supton

I think the main problem is a cargo van is a 2 person vehicle. You can add seats but its not all that nice back there, although having an interior you can hose down done does have it merits for a family vehicle...

There are passenger versions with full interior too. The back seats are quite comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back