2011 Impala. Are the transmissions still garbage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the 2000-2005 Impalas had [censored] transmissions. We replaced the one in our 05 3 times. Does the 2011 have the same trans, if so did chevy fix the issues? I only ask because a friend of mine is looking at one with 23k on it. I know the 3.5 was a good little engine, that had little known problems compared to the earlier 3.4L.

Thanks

I don't think so. Our Impala might be too young to tell, but on our 2011 we have 71k and the transmission is healthy as ever. I plan to do a filter and fluid swap this upcoming spring.

The 2011 would have the 4T65-E but they have done work to it over the years where I do think it is upgraded from what your 2005 may have had.

A friend of mine has a 2008 with 105k and the transmission still shifts great. Also, I know of others who have former cop Impala's that are nearing the 200k mark without issues. All with proper transmission maintenance.

The 3500 is a great motor too. Might not be as powerful as the new DOHC variants, but for a good old OHV, it's reliable and pretty peppy. You are also correct that these do not suffer the same fate as the 3100/3400 or 3800 Series II with intake gasket/intake manifold issues.

Last edited:
Im not sure if its the same transmission, but the 2006-2011 still have junk transmissions. The 2012 got the new 3.6 V6 and a 6 speed transmission. If he wants an Impala go with a 2012.

The 2005 had most of the common issues already taken care of, the 4th gear input shaft was the main culprit in pre 04* units.

So now comes the big question.. How did you manage to go through 3 of these generally reliable 04+ units?
Did the same place rebuild all 3 or did someone beat the hades out of them?
If its the later then no the durability of the 2011 unit will likely be the same if driven by the same driver. No offence intended, just trying to find out why they failed.

200K is easily in these units if driven with some sanity, early versions, pre 04* will have 4th gear input shaft failure its only a question of when not if.
There is nothing that can be done to prevent it, its a non hardened shaft.

*Most 03 versions also had the hardened 4th gear input shaft but early production 03 units may not.

I was going to echo what Trav said.

I have had 4 4T65E cars. Three of them supercharged. 1 transmission failure at 190,000 miles. Properly maintained it is a very good unit.

How did you go through 3? My guess is the rebuilder sucks. 1 failure I could see, but 3? Offense intended...
smile.gif
laugh.gif

He should go up a year.
The 2012 and up is a much better car,
More power(300hp),better transmission(6 speed) and 30+mpg highway.

Sad thing is in the old days,cars went to the junkyards with the original engine and transmissions...everything was over engineered.Chrysler went drag racing with 727 TorqueFlites when everyone else was clinging to 4 speed sticks.The Ford C6 became the basis for BIGFOOT monster truck transmissions....today...well,I wouldnt want any of them made in the last 20 years.GMs TH200 and TH125 werent all that great either.

The only two transmissions my family has had to rebuild were RWD automatics. The TH-200-C in my 1984 Cutlass and whatever was in mom's 1992 Crown Vic, an AOD I think; I think the AODE came out in 1993. Both right close to the 100,000 mile mark...maybe 95k on the Olds and 110k on the Ford.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Im not sure if its the same transmission, but the 2006-2011 still have junk transmissions. The 2012 got the new 3.6 V6 and a 6 speed transmission. If he wants an Impala go with a 2012.
what makes them junk? Just curious

If it's the 4T65e it has many updates over the 60 series. But these actually had the LOWEST trans failure rate ever seen so far in our county pool, using over 300 cars!!!

Even better than the (gasp) CVPI!!!.

My factory 4T65E is coming up on its 300K mile service in January.. So far it's had a cheap shift kit and Supertech fluid to get it there.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger

Yes please, I'd love to hear this detailed explanation.
36.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger

Yes please, I'd love to hear this detailed explanation.
36.gif

Me too. Have had many 4T60/65 variants in the family that have lived for a very long time with proper maintenance.

Let's see, that would be four transmissions total, with an average MTBF of around two years. Considering you don't own it anymore (by your sig) then that makes it even more frequent.

At this point the discussion should be about your driving habits.

Originally Posted By: MuzzleFlash40
I know the 2000-2005 Impalas had [censored] transmissions. We replaced the one in our 05 3 times. Does the 2011 have the same trans, if so did chevy fix the issues? I only ask because a friend of mine is looking at one with 23k on it. I know the 3.5 was a good little engine, that had little known problems compared to the earlier 3.4L.

Thanks

Thank you for the responses guys. It was my wifes car. We got it in early 2010 with 60k on it. The Chevy dealer replaced it with a new unit at 40k (verified it with the dealer service department). We put a new one in it at around 87k at a good trans shop along with a trans cooler. That one went out at 101k. A remanufactured unit replaced that one from a different shop. At 118k it started going out. That's when it went bye bye. Mind you all the lines were replaced along with the radiator the second time. The third the radiator was taken out of the scene by running only a remote cooler. My wife drove it as she does now 55 miles each way all highway, plus trips each year to Florida and such. So the cars she drives get between 35-40k a year. On top of this car my best friend has a 2005 grand prix (non sc) had a trans replaced at 100k. So for me, I will always have a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to these cars.

Are the 2011's the 65 or 60 series transmissions?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: redhat
The 2011 would be the 4T65-E.

Thanks man, Have you serviced yours yet since you got it? Do you happen to know the difference between the 65 and 60?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back