Mobil 1 Afe 0w30 in 1,3 turbodiesel multijet 75hp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I try to insert this oil in my turbo Multijet 75 hp that I use every day, mostly in short cycles to go to work, 2 km, and some longer journey of 15 km, quiet ride mostly in the city.

I would have thought you could run Mobil 1 0w40 in that engine.

New Life or Turbo Diesel if you have no Dpf

Or ESP if you have a Dpf fitted. As that is what they spec for the same engine in the later Corsa.

Though I would expect the 0w30 to do you just fine.

What is oil availability like in Italy?

What brands can you get hold of easily?

I have discarded as 0W40 too heavy for short cycles, I was oriented on afe 0w30, or 0w30 esp, but esp is heavier than afe. The car does not have the dpf

Wouldn't Mobil 1 5w30 ESP or 0W40 be better choices than 0W30 AFE? Especially since Mobil doesn't even recommend AFE for diesel engines?

My wifes Clio dci has been used for lots or short trips, multiple stop and starts on a warm engine and has been run on mostly 0w40 Mobil 1 New Life and Turbo Diesel.

Also had a run of 5w40 ELF full synth from Renault dealer.

Also a run on 10w40 Maxlife Diesel which made the car turn over really slowly on a cold start but must have cleaned something up as the turbo was showing signs of sticky variable vanes in the turbo.

I can see your point though.

No dpf is good news.

And you can't go wrong with Mobil products.

It is interesting that the same engine is specced differently by two manufacturers.

I don't think there is sny wrong answer here really.

I reckon you will be fine either way.

I must admit to being tempted to use 5w30 in the Clio now winter is approaching.

Nothing to do with the fact i have almost 4 litres of Shell AFL 5w30 C1 and 3 litres of Mobil Super x1 FE 5w30 sitting in the garage and a new filter for the Clio.

Actually as it is due i think i will get that done this week.

The 1.5dci lump is specced up for 5w30 low saps when it has a dpf so should be fine in the non dpf engine.

Best of luck with your choice and let the forum know your decision.

AFE is a low HTHS oil.

If you can get hold of a workshop manual you can confirm if you can run low HTHS.

My diesel Pathfinder can run on both and so can the Clio 1.5 dci i think.

What about Mobil Delvac 1 LE 5w30? It is reputed to aid economy and provide advamced wear protection. And can be left in for a longer oil change interval due to its Heavy Duty origins.

If you are going outside of the box you might aswell do it with both feet.

With UOA you might be able to push the interval several thousand km further.

Diesels place particular demands on oil. While thin oil has many advantages, an automotive oil, engineered for fuel economy, won't contain the additives necessary to deal with excessive carbon loading, high acid content, higher internal engine loads and possibly camshaft lobe loads.

It's always best to use a diesel rated oil in diesel engines.

Don't think that because your exhaust is clean that the engine is also. It's as dirty and as tough on oil as any diesel. There is no magic there. For example: modern diesels have high rates of EGR flow, introducing massive quantities of contaminates into the oil, through blowby past the piston rings.

Choose appropriately.

If it were me using a NON STANDARD OIL, I'd pick an oil with a robust additive package and plenty of acid combating capability. Then perform early oil changes and Used Oil Analysis.

You might be best served by a PAO based synthetic, as they remain considerably thinner when cold compared to conventional Group III synthetics (which are simply severely hydrotreated dino oils)

Shell Helix Diesel Ultra Extra 5w40...awesome oil for all year round in my 1.3 Mjet van...give it a try and you will be impressed.

In bocca a lupo
smile.gif

Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 is recommended by Mobil for your engine. I guess you could use M1 ESP 0w30 if you can get that.

I know most people in Italy drive at least 140-150km/hr on the highway even in small cars. It's up to you if you want to use an oil with a lower HTHS than recommended. I wouldn't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back