Ford 7.3 Powerstroke Changed oil runs rough

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an '89 IDI and thats all I have run in it for years.
Cold-starts are much improved

It probably doesn't get 2,000 mi. per year but generally over 500 hrs. running the aux. hydraulic system.

Originally Posted By: roadrunner1
I have an '89 IDI and thats all I have run in it for years.
Cold-starts are much improved

It probably doesn't get 2,000 mi. per year but generally over 500 hrs. running the aux. hydraulic system.

You run the 10w30 in it? My cold starts are slow and rough in my van and then it straightens out after about 10- 15 seconds. BUT since I drive the van about once every 2 weeks, when starting it cold now that the mornings are in the 20s and 30s.....it sounds like a school bus.

I run Delo 15w40 in it and while its a great oil, at 311k miles, I think it would be ok to experiment a little to see if anything improves.

If they like 30 grades I suggest devlac elite 0w-30 or devlac 0w-40. You'll get more oil volume pumping at start up and less drag.
The devlac 0w grades are just awesome and when you've got hydraulic activated systems like injectors that thinner start up viscosity can make a significant difference at start up.
Worth a shot anyways. I'm not sure anyone here is using a diesel rated 0w from what I've read. You might be breaking new ground.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
If they like 30 grades I suggest devlac elite 0w-30 or devlac 0w-40. You'll get more oil volume pumping at start up and less drag.
The devlac 0w grades are just awesome and when you've got hydraulic activated systems like injectors that thinner start up viscosity can make a significant difference at start up.
Worth a shot anyways. I'm not sure anyone here is using a diesel rated 0w from what I've read. You might be breaking new ground.

I know several older ALH TDI VW 1.9's running Mobil 1 0W40 with good results. Honestly, I don't think running a 0W40 in my van could hurt it but could possibly help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back