Which oil filter for LT1 engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have spent a ton of time here and haven't seen any real numbers proving anything is better than the AC Delco. I have posted numbers showing the AC has more filter area than many other brands. Like many here, I will go with an oversize filter if one is available.

This is for the 72 LT-1 correct? I believe they use the same size filter as my 95 LT1 (which is a different engine, but both are still small block Chevy bottom ends) I'm using a K&N HP3002.

There are lots of oversize race filters for these engines, as I've found over the last few days. Some of them are 8" long and hold 2qts of oil! Moroso and Wix both make these oversize filters, and they filter out to about 27 microns (like the OEM AC Delco) but flow insane amounts of oil. Expensive? YES! Will they flow a lot of oil though? You bet! If I find a reasonable price on one of these filters up here, I may buy one. K&N also makes a 2qt filter, I think it's the HP6002.

Patman,

1970-1972 LT-1 takes AC Delco PF25 originally, but PF 35 will fit. I think that is now a PF454, but don't hold me to it.

My 1995 LT1 takes AC Delco PF52. Much smaller than the older LT-1. The newer LT1 might take different filters depending on which body it is installed in. I speak from B-body experience, and I believe Y-body is the same. Your F-body could be different due to clearances to the catalytic convertor.

If I get to the garage later today to look at the AC Delco filter book I'll post the sizes.
Terry

[ August 18, 2003, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: 9c1 ]

Terry, that is correct, the LT1 f-bodys do take the PF25 as their stock filter, so I run the longer PF35/PF1218 substitutes myself. So if his LT-1 engine can take the PF25, he could use the same filters I use, so long as his ground clearance is ok. I believe you're right, the replacement for the PF25 is the new PF454 or something very close to that number.

FWIW, the long filters I have been running are around 5.2" long, while these longer racing filters I mentioned are around 8" long! Definitely a nice easy way to put an extra one quart of oil into your system. Plus the flow rating is amazing! (one of them is rated at 28GPM!!)

If you have full length headers on the LT-1, then you will only have about a 1/4 inch of clearance with the 1218 filter (with typical full length header design.......tork steps or tri-y designs will vary).

I am aware of the long filters. The Delco version has a three digit number PF 849 (or something like that). The original use was medium duty trucks, I believe. I even have a Delco one from the early '70s (based on the date on the box)that is chrome plated and has a nut on the bottom. This long one works fine on my Suburban even with the lowered spindles. It gives extra capacity for towing.
Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back