Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W40 -'12 Suzuki V-Strom DL 650

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bike is used for commuting and sport touring, racking up these 2722 miles in under two months. OK, the bit of iron fuzz on the drain magnet at the end of the OCI had me concerned - like maybe double-stinting the oil filter was a very bad idea - but somehow Blackstone says my wear metals are below universal averages for this engine.

I thought the several times I got caught crawling up the a 7.5% grade bridge in rush hour would have added more clutch material into my oil supply, so maybe Al, Fe, and insolubles might have been lower yet, had I not spent that time scouring the discs in the friction zone those days.

a6jo.png

Compared to other M1 Racing 4T samples I've seen here, the zinc, phosphorous, molybdenum and magnesium seem relatively weak. Could it be that XOM reduced their levels for EPA/ emission compliance?

Also, unlike what a few people on here said, the oil stayed in grade and had a lot more serviceable life left in it.

cant argue with the results. very nice!

your comment on the susvis means 1 or 2 things:

1) your motor is easy on oil

2) you are easy on oil

3) both

however it does seem they might have changed the formula so who knows if this same apple that all the other apples were tested?

steve

Well it does seem like the old M1 4T had the zinc and phosphorous at 1600 - 1700, the moly around 100, and the magnesium much higher in the other samples I looked at.

Maybe they traded off some of the additives for higher VI base oil and/or better viscosity index improvers, as there seems to be less shear than others samples experienced.

With this information, maybe I'll increase the OCI on M1 4T to 3000 mi next time. But Motul 300V FL will be the subsequent 3 fills, and we'll see if that contributes towards any improvement. I do suspect the copper wear will be higher, as from my observation, the ester-based samples always seem to have that in common.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back