2013+ Accord TPMS Sensors, or lack thereof

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, im reading about how there is no in wheel sensor in these cars. We happened to purchase a 2014 sport w/18" wheels and it looks like a rubber valve in there. I'm excited to buy some winter wheels and not worry about those [swear word] sensors in each wheel.

Anybody know more about how this works and what might be wrong with me buying some 16" wheels with a 205/65/16 snow tire?

I have a line on cheap 2012 Elantra Steelies, 16" 42 mm offset 5x114.3, i assume the width is either 6 or 6.5" on the Elantra steelies.

The Accord Sport specs 18x8 55 mm offset wheels. So with a the width reduction, that small offset difference should not matter right?

You will want to check on the brake clearance as well.

I would think your reasoning on the width/back spacing is about right. Close enough that I would be willing to give it a shot at least.

Other than that, as long as that tire size is close to the stock tire height you should be good.

You've still got TPMS sensors on the other end of your rubber stems. TPMS systems are a Federally mandated thing for all passenger vehicles these days AFAIK.

No, the 2013+ Accords do not have any TPMS sensors inside of the wheels. Instead, the car uses the ABS Speed Sensor and tone ring to determine if a wheel is turning faster or slower than it should indicating whether or not your pressure is low.

Reading that makes me want to go out and get an accord!

With the said, the Hyundai wheels should work. The last few Hondas I have seen use the same style lug nut, so you shouldn't have lugnut problems.

If you run without any sort of center cap or wheel cover, put some grease or light oil on the end of the axle shaft (where the socket is). Will make taking the axle nut off much easier!

Last edited:
There are more car like this that are using speed sensor instead of TPMS.

BMW E90 LCI
Chrysler Crossfire

and I'm sure many many more... It just makes everything so much better.

and for teh OP to make sure that everything will fit

http://www.willtheyfit.com/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ndx

BMW E90 LCI
Chrysler Crossfire

False, the BMW E90 uses a sensor. I know this because my E90 M3 is an LCI and does indeed have the sensors in the wheels.

Audi has shifted away from using a sensor in the wheel as well. You just go into the radio/MMI and tell it "I've got the tires inflated properly" and it will then watch the rotational speeds to re-baseline.

OP: if you maintain the same rolling diameter you should be fine. There may also be a learning/reset function described in the manual in case you do switch tires/wheels.

Originally Posted By: dparm

BMW E90 LCI
Chrysler Crossfire

False, the BMW E90 uses a sensor. I know this because my E90 M3 is an LCI and does indeed have the sensors in the wheels.

Audi has shifted away from using a sensor in the wheel as well. You just go into the radio/MMI and tell it "I've got the tires inflated properly" and it will then watch the rotational speeds to re-baseline.

OP: if you maintain the same rolling diameter you should be fine. There may also be a learning/reset function described in the manual in case you do switch tires/wheels.

Sorry but not false .. just little incorrect, I forgot that US has sensor and Canadian LCI E90 is not using the sensor.
This is 100% verified.

Last edited:
32.gif
Some fords have the sensor on a huge worm clamp "belt" in the void in the middle of the wheel.

Congrats on the car - you're gonna keep loving it.

I also have a 6MT but in the EX flavor (17" rims).

I bought 16" alloys + snows from Tire Rack - looking forward to installing them, prolly in Dec.

You should be OK with a TMPS reset (if needed) but I did read somewhere that a Honda Tech can hook up his magic machine (similar to VW VAGCOM?) and tell the car what size RIMS are installed (16, 17 or 18"). Don't know how true that is but I'll post if I have issues.

Sorry but not false .. just little incorrect, I forgot that US has sensor and Canadian LCI E90 is not using the sensor.
This is 100% verified.

That's really odd. I know that some of the E90 wheels are different for Canada, but I have to wonder why they would engineer a different TPMS configuration there.

I believe the car can be reset on its screen and with some driving by the owner. 30-60 miles of driving after the reset command has been given for any rotation or wheel change. I was too slow to get the cheap Hyundai steelies so i'l keep looking.

These new honda earth dreams really rip thats for sure!

Originally Posted By: dparm
This is 100% verified.

That's really odd. I know that some of the E90 wheels are different for Canada, but I have to wonder why they would engineer a different TPMS configuration there.

Sorry for OT

Price ?
They are not obligated by LAW to put TPMS sensors
But they can still use TC to check tire pressure.

I swapped RFT's on Stock wheels no TPMS from factory.

Originally Posted By: redhat
No, the 2013+ Accords do not have any TPMS sensors inside of the wheels. Instead, the car uses the ABS Speed Sensor and tone ring to determine if a wheel is turning faster or slower than it should indicating whether or not your pressure is low.

Thanks for the correction.

How SWEET is that!! I wonder why the about-face on technology? (going back to using the ABS system like it used to be)

Probably came to the conclusion that it was cheaper and/or easier to use the existing speed sensors rather than add in extra parts and deal with another supplier.

As far as I know, there are two types of TPMS systems considered in the industry, direct (sensors, banded or stem [rubber or aluminum stem types]) and indirect (through ABS/wheel speed calculations).

Using www.willtheyfit.com and http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Wheel-Offset-Calculator the 16x6.5 +42mm should provide 32mm more clearance on the inside of the wheel and 6mm more clearance from the fender versus the OE Honda 18x8 +55mm wheel.

205/65R16 will fit fine on a 16x6.5 and will provide a close rolling diameter to the OE 235/45R18 (which if I recall correctly, is what Honda is using on the Accord on the 18x8 wheel). 215/60R16 is also a close size (and a more popular OE size with various brands) and may provide more options/selection in that size than the 205/65R16; I have not yet looked further into that.

With all that aside, good thing is that I believe the center bore of most if not all Hyundai is bigger than Honda's 5-lug patterns (save the newest Oddeseys, Ridgeline) so you should have no issues fitting the Hyundai wheel onto your Honda; the wheel will be considered 'lug-centric' instead of 'hub-centric' however.

There was a comment about the lugs of Honda wheels being the same that of Hyundai; all Honda OEM wheels that I have come across, be it steel or alloy, use a ball seat/spherical-seat. The Hyundais I have come across so far all use cone seat (otherwise called acorn). The stud diameter/thread-pitch on both Hyundai and Honda is 12mmx1.5 (I haven't come across a Hyundai that wasn't yet) so if you use the Hyundai wheels on your Honda, you will have to source some 12x1.5 cone/acorn seat lug nuts to properly secure the wheel to your vehicle. Since your spare tire tools are 19mm I'd stick with 19mm hex head lug nuts.

And for the banded sensors, these are generally placed into what is called the 'drop-center' of the wheel, unless you have WELD truck wheels where drop centers are non-existent (mounting and dismounting tires on WELD wheels is oh-so fun! not). Ford seems to commonly use these banded sensors except I've notice that Ford has been using valve-stem mounted 'rubber sensors' on their newest models.

I may have mis-typed some info here; apologies in advance.

Great post ChrisW, thanks. I found some cheap wheels today:

16x7.5 +30 offset from a V6 Mustang and full tread 215/60/16 xice2 tires.

Calculations indicate they will stick out 19 MM from the stock wheels. I hope that fits. If not, the deal was good enough for just the michelins.

I need to find some 64.1 to 70.3 hub rings, and my wife needs to stop driving it long enough for me to install them. I think they will fit fine since plenty of 9th gen accord owners are claiming to use wider wheels of similar offset.

I will post pics when they are on though. Gotta love a brand new car with some old spray painted wheels on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back