Is Costco gasoline top tier?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's supposed to have more than the government mandated minimum amount of cleaning agents. I've heard somebody on here say Costco gasoline has five times the government mandated minimum. Does that make it top tier?

Probably not, but it could be. Costco could change their supplier from time to time and that could keep them from the list. Maybe they get their gas from one of theses suppliers?Here are the current top tiers :

TOP TIER Gasoline Retailers:

USA..................Canada
76 Stations..........Chevron Canada
Aloha Petroleum......Esso
BP...................Petro-Canada
Chevron..............Shell Canada
Conoco
CountryMark
Entec Stations
Exxon
Hawaii Fueling Network (HFN)
Holiday Stationstores, Inc.
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
MFA Oil Co.
Mileage Stations
Mobil
Ohana Fuels
Phillips 66
Quik Trip
Road Ranger
Scheirl Oil
Shell
Texaco
Tri-Par Oil Co.
U.S. Oil

Not official but they have developed their own detergent system that goes beyond keep clean and are rolling it out nationwide.

See Kirkland Clean Power on their website.

The detergent gets mixed at the station and is remotely monitored.

Top Tier Detergent Gasoline is a designation given by a consortium of major automakers — BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, and Volkswagen/Audi — to gasoline brands in the U.S. and Canada that meet minimum specifications for engine cleanliness and performance and do not contain metallic additives. Top Tier gasoline contains higher levels of detergent additives in order to prevent the build-up of engine "gunk," known to reduce fuel economy and engine performance, and possibly lead to mechanical breakdown. The Top Tier designation is separate from the issue of octane levels—in order to get the designation, gasoline companies must pass tests proving defined levels of engine-cleaning effectiveness in all grades of gasoline they sell, whether it is economy (low-octane) or premium (high-octane).[1] However, premium gasolines may contain even higher levels of detergent additives. To date, more than 20 gasoline retailers in the US, and 4 in Canada, offer Top Tier gasoline.

As with any designation, other companies may meet the standard but have not been certified. Can't imagine Sunoco is selling low quality gas.

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
Not official but they have developed their own detergent system that goes beyond keep clean and are rolling it out nationwide.

See Kirkland Clean Power on their website.

The detergent gets mixed at the station and is remotely monitored.

http://www.costco.com/gasoline-clean-power.html

I'm really wondering what's really necessarily. There are additive packs readily available from any number of companies. Costco has a track record of ordering top quality products that they sell as their own house brands. I wouldn't expect that Costco would be any different about its fuel. They've got probably the highest turnover compared to retail stations.

It's not that hard. Buy the fuel and then have the driver dump a load of additives in there. BASF, Infineum, Oronite, and Lubrizol sell complete additive packs to be added to raw fuel.

http://www.performancechemicals.basf.com...keropur/effects
http://www.infineum.com/Pages/fuel.aspx
http://www.lubrizol.com/FuelAdditives/Applications/Gasoline.html
https://www.oronite.com/products/gas-additives.asp

Now I guess the Oronite (probably just piggybacking on Chevron's research) page lists (minimum) "Compliance", "Top Tier", "Enhanced", and "Custom" additive packages. And the add pack makers might not even make the raw materials. That's likely from some large chemical company like BASF or Huntsman.

There's a costco presentation readily available by googling that gives a nice level of detail on their clean power program.

They really went beyond just adding more detergents and performed testing to demonstrate the fuel would clean up deposits.

Think of all the loyal Costco customers who trust their products but don't have time to understand maintenance like we do. A good proportion if them will feel some benefit after a year when their compression and mpg improves.

No word about this in Canada
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
There's a costco presentation readily available by googling that gives a nice level of detail on their clean power program.

They really went beyond just adding more detergents and performed testing to demonstrate the fuel would clean up deposits.

Think of all the loyal Costco customers who trust their products but don't have time to understand maintenance like we do. A good proportion if them will feel some benefit after a year when their compression and mpg improves.

I really doubt they did anything beyond getting a good commercial additive package from one of the major players, and having a testing lab give them independent results.

As for what was previously in Costco gas, I'd think it would vary depending on location and time. Some of it could very well have been identical to that sold at name brand gas stations, including the additive package.

Take a look

Also I think Costco would always try to get the lowest cost gas. We know that additives are added either at stations or at tank refilling depots.

Costco have elected to perform the additive mixing at their stations so they can continue to get the cheapest gas.

The additive system is from one of the big companies but is remotely monitored.

They did testing to ensure the additive would go beyond keep clean.

The info is readily available. No need to assume anything.

Why would a wholesale club, who is positioning itself as a value retailer wish to assume the additional cost (and yes, it really does cost $ to get the moniker) of being "Top Tier" ?

They purchase gasoline (which is a commodity) and put 5x the minimum EPA requirement of detergent in it, and sell it for a price that is less than "Top Tier" in many markets.

Good buy for the consumer that wants value.

The latest version would probably meet the standard, but they've haven't forked over the licensing fees.

I think it used to be pretty random previously. They would probably buy commodity fuel meeting EPA required specs. In California there was a specific requirement for emissions reasons.

Strike up a conversation with the tanker driver next time you see him in Costco, ask him where he picked up the load.

The drivers that deliver to the Canadian Tire gas bar next to me come from different refineries (different companies) depending on available stock. They all say the refineries have their "branded" and "un-branded" tanks that they draw from. Canadian Tire gas comes from the "un-branded" lot.

Not sure about Costco here in CANADA, I don't buy gas there.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear

Strike up a conversation with the tanker driver next time you see him in Costco, ask him where he picked up the load.

The drivers that deliver to the Canadian Tire gas bar next to me come from different refineries (different companies) depending on available stock. They all say the refineries have their "branded" and "un-branded" tanks that they draw from. Canadian Tire gas comes from the "un-branded" lot.

Not sure about Costco here in CANADA, I don't buy gas there.

In the San Francisco Bay Area we've got four major refineries (Chevron, Shell, ConocoPhillips, Valero), and each one has surrounding storage/loading terminals. We've also got pipelines that criss-cross and even go hundreds of miles away to remote storage terminals. You can't forget that there are pipeline systems moving branded fuel specifically. They could sell all sorts of things, including fuel in the tanks with additives (of different levels) or without.

The thing I'm thinking about Costco is that they could be requesting gasoline without additives on the spot market, and might have negotiated an extremely good price on the additive package with their huge volumes.

Originally Posted By: Ndx
No word about this in Canada
frown.gif

Nope. Our Costco station is decidedly new, and there just isn't this "clean" marketing that Costco USA has. Here, it doesn't matter much anyhow. Top Tier is the same price as everywhere else (except the worst of the worst).

After reading the ppt presentation that was posted here a while back, I purchase Costco fuel with confidence. I have been happy with everything Costco labels with their Kirkland Signature brand, so not surprised that their fuel would be any different.

I just stopped at a Costco gas station and got premium at $3.619/gallon. This particular one was displaying the "Clean Power" signs on the top of each pump. This is more than some Costco locations nearby without the sign.

Originally Posted By: PhillyJoe
As with any designation, other companies may meet the standard but have not been certified. Can't imagine Sunoco is selling low quality gas.

Apparently Valero believes that this level of detergent additive is unnecessary and doesn't participate. They're a top 5 oil refiner in the US, with an output more than Chevron or Shell. However, how much of that ends up at their branded gas stations and how much is sold on the spot market is another matter.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2192391

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back