Peak DEX VI - Or Maxlife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not for any specific application, but can we compare the 2? Looking at inexpensive fluids, we can use either of my 2 GM transmissions for a comparison if you want: '97 C2500 w/4l80e, DEX III spec'd, vs my Volvo's 4l60e which is from an '04, therefore Dex VI spec'd. I know Dex VI can be a great 'upgrade' in older DEX III spec'd transmissions, but just how good IS the Maxlife? Can we say it's better than even the inexpensive Peak DEX VI?? How do we compare them?

All dex 6 is the same so peak is the same as valvoline or Supertech.

Maxlife is pretty darn good itself. I think they can be used interchangeably.

The 4L80 will run on just about any universal dex merc it isn't picky so the dex 6 or Maxlife is about as good as it gets.

Well, my wife and I had a 2000 Chevy Impala. I did a fluid flush with Dex6 and it ran like junk. Flushed that out and refilled with Maxlife and for some reason it acted like new again.

I'm not trash talking Dex6 in any way but for that Impala, staying with the older spec seemed to work.

Other cars, I have seen no difference in drive-ability.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
All dex 6 is the same so peak is the same as valvoline or Supertech.

I don't think so. Dex-VI is a GM fluid spec/license, like dexos, and can be semi-syn or full syn fluids. That's like saying Pennzoil syn-blend dexos 5W-30 is the same as Mobil 1 AFE 0W-30 because they are both dexos licensed.

No it's true like I said. GM specifies what goes in their dex 6 licensed products and even what suppliers they must get the base oils from. If one manufacturer calls it full synthetic instead of semi synthetic I believe they are just using it for marketing. They all should perform the same minus the small PDS differences.

Quote:
GM specifies what goes in their dex 6 licensed products and even what suppliers they must get the base oils from.

This is true for Chrysler's ATF+4 but not for DexronVI.

For example, a Japanese made DexronVI can be made from GroupIII Yubase 3 and 6 base oils as long as the correct additive package is used and it passes the specs tests.

Or as many have done, use a majority GroupIII base, some PAO for shear stability, and some ester for solvency.

Last edited:
Molakule, what do you think though, between the 2 listed? Any knowledge of the Peak DEX VI yet?

Originally Posted By: KenO
Molakule, what do you think though, between the 2 listed? Any knowledge of the Peak DEX VI yet?

According to the literature:
Quote:
...and is also a licensed GM
DEXRON®-VI and Ford MERCON® LV product.

So I would have no problems using it in a vehicle specifying DexvronVI.

Interestingly they also have a qualifier:

Quote:
Cannot be used with applications that recommend MERCON® V and MERCON® SP.

That would keep them out of the MerconV viscosity debate.

I guess I don't really understand how that pertains to the question??
frown.gif

I gave you answer on the Peak oil.

I also think you could also use the Maxlife.

The Maxlife is probably more available.

If you are asking about price differentials, what are the cost of each in your area?

Here in the Midwest Maxlife runs about $16-$18 per gallon at Wallyworld. I have not priced Peak since I have never seen it around here.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
I gave you answer on the Peak oil.

I also think you could also use the Maxlife.

The Maxlife is probably more available.

If you are asking about price differentials, what are the cost of each in your area?

Here in the Midwest Maxlife runs about $16-$18 per gallon at Wallyworld. I have not priced Peak since I have never seen it around here.

No, I was asking about performance between the 2, in a couple various applications. If there's any reason to pick one over the other, or if one poses a better value than the other (no idea what Peak costs, Maxlife is at Walmarts here for $18.99/gallon). And thanks, I wasn't sure which one you were talking about in the previous post.

Quote:
No, I was asking about performance between the 2, in a couple various applications.

OK, wasn't sure exactly what you were asking I guess.

What performance aspects in particular were you asking about?

In terms of shifting I do know MaxLife has done well in most vehicles in which it has been used.

Maybe someone out there has actually used Peak DexronVI but it seems Peak has only introduced their products of late.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
No, I was asking about performance between the 2, in a couple various applications.

OK, wasn't sure exactly what you were asking I guess.

What performance aspects in particular were you asking about?

I don't know? I don't know how to compare them. Was I confusing in the OP?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back