Wix 51394

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost definitely. Wix filters have one of the largest capacities for dirt of all the filters out there.

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
Why does amsoil claim that the wix (and Napa gold) have one of the worst capacities?

Perhaps they are using old data on Wix's older filters?
dunno.gif

quote:

Originally posted by edwardh1:
i measured the 4 cyl camry filters
purolator, Supertech and wix

wix had the smallest filter area.

i think they are skimping on filter area.

Good job! Sounds like they are another Fram unless their media is better. I hope to see more data on this. Maybe I have been lucky nobody ever has the right Wix in stock for me.

From what I have read on this site Wix is one of the best filters if not the best! Filters good and flows good. I hope what has been talked about here on Wix is accurate. I am going to try a K&N next though.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by sbc350gearhead:
Why does amsoil claim that the wix (and Napa gold) have one of the worst capacities?

Perhaps they are using old data on Wix's older filters?
dunno.gif

Come on, hasn't anybody chopped open a Wix? It and clone NAPA have escaped my hacksaw and tape measures so far. Filter area doesn't mean everything, but it is fairly easy to check, if a little messy on used filters. I never checked a Wix, but have found the well regarded Hastings and Purolator have 2/3 the area of the plain blue can AC's. If I can't find the AC, the $2 ST is close behind the Hastings and Purolator.

Note, while in the big city yesterday, I stopped at Pep Boys and picked up a Purolator PremiumPLUS, blue box, L15436 for $5. This is their version of the AC PF 2244G my snotty dealer wants $8 for a cartridge for the Ecotech engine.
It is not the made in France Purlux 264A that I have bought in AC, Fram, and Hastings boxes that cost $7 - $8. It is made in Thailand, a fourth design, different from the made in Korea products from STP and now Fram. It was the only one in stock and all their book listed for the Ecotech engine. If somebody stocked an American made filter for my Chevy, I might buy it.

for 1994 4 cyl Toyota camry the sizes I measured were
purolater 94 sq inches
supertech 70
wix 64

Some people may like wix but the filter elements are smaller

wix box says it holds 20% more dirtt han leading brand - purolater and ST must hold even more dirt

[ August 04, 2003, 09:26 AM: Message edited by: edwardh1 ]

Every oil filter "test/teardown" I've seen puts Wix/Napa Gold at least above average for surface area/build quality, ect.
Did the filter you cut open have a red ADBV?

Hey Wix/NAPA fans, lets see some numbers! No doubt they are better than Fram, but are there any numbers showing they are enough better than ST to be worth the price?

I would especially like to see data on the Wix 51334 matching the AC PF 1177 with 255 sq. in area, ST 3950 with 171.

Are we talking quality, or a high price and hype? I am not attacking Wix, just wanting to see numbers backing them.

If all we're concerned about is 'filter surface area', has anyone given thought to oversized filters? I'm using a 51344 Wix/Napa Gold filter in my Integra (0.900" longer than the 51334; all other dimensions are identical). Regarding the 51394 Wix filter... a 51396 is 0.425" longer (all other dimensions identical). So, as long as there are no clearance issues, I'd say give the 51396 a try.

Also, regarding the 'red adbv' in the Napa Gold filters, the last one I picked up (maybe a month ago) was labelled 'Napa Gold', yet had the black adbv in it. From what I've read, black=2nd line or silver, and red=1st line or Gold. I have bought these before, and they've been red. Any thoughts on this?

[ August 07, 2003, 01:31 PM: Message edited by: mrhonda ]

I just bought a NAPA Gold 1522 and it had the Black ADBV. The owner of the NAPA said it is old stock and will work fine and that all the new Gold filters being made have the red ADBV. He said you will see several of the black ones for a little while as they have a huge stock of them.

I have a 99 toyota camry with the 2.2. I changed the oil 2 days ago and removed an ac delco pf1233 oil filter. I will open it and measure the filter area. I replaced the ac delco with a wix 1396. I will cut it open when I change it, but it is slightly oversized (as stated previously), so I don't know if it will be a fair comparison.

I've never bought the Napa version, simply because I have no other reason to walk into a NAPA. (their prices are much higher than any other parts place around here). I've always bought Wix from Bumper To Bumper up in Lexington. Never have seen a black ADBV yet.

My take on the ST filters is this: I used to work at Wal-Mart's Tire Lube Express in Bloomington, and am a little leery of their products. Their filter may be made by a reputable company, but then again, so is their ST oil, (made by Shell) and it still smells like crude oil straight from the well-head. But then again, it may be a good filter, who knows...

Tony

I’m far from convinced that measuring filter area between brands of the same type/size/application offers much in the way of useful information. Sure, within a given brand of filter media, more area would equal more flow and more capacity. But it’s certainly possible that a lesser amount of premium media might offer better flow, more capacity, and/or better filtration than a cheap media with significantly more surface area. And who can tell how “good” the media is by merely looking at it?

Not trying to smart off, just trying to be realistic.

quote:

Originally posted by Brian Barnhart:
I’m far from convinced that measuring filter area between brands of the same type/size/application offers much in the way of useful information. Sure, within a given brand of filter media, more area would equal more flow and more capacity. But it’s certainly possible that a lesser amount of premium media might offer better flow, more capacity, and/or better filtration than a cheap media with significantly more surface area. And who can tell how “good” the media is by merely looking at it?

Not trying to smart off, just trying to be realistic.

Good point. An 84 sqin Fram could be as good or better than a 255 sqin AC. Also you can't judge a filter by its outside. The Fram is as big on the outside as the AC and much bigger than a Miata with 121 sqin.

I wish I knew where I could find some good data. All the studies I have seen seem to be flawed one way or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back