Does supertech synthetic clean as good as mobil 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all...i wante too try supertech synthetic, 98 toyota corolla. temps approaching teens here..i belive i found data sheets on it, it stated its pour point at minus 47 degrees F...thats outstanding!! I belive it is a grouop III oil, and my local walmart selles them, i belive its a warren product.
Does it clean as good as mobil 1? or just deal with the current by product of combustion?

Supertech synthetic has about 350ppm more of detergent additive than vanilla M1.

Vanilla M1 is 1200ppm calcium and 750 magnesium

ST is 2350ppm calcium.

Some don't prefer magnesium in spark ignited engines.

To answer your question, "Does it clean as good as mobil 1?", the answer is probably not, but I doubt anyone has tested it.

However, it's a fine oil for a good price and it will perform well in your Corolla.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
Supertech synthetic has about 350ppm more of detergent additive than vanilla M1. Vanilla M1 is 1200ppm calcium and 750 magnesium. ST is 2350ppm calcium. Some don't prefer magnesium in spark ignited engines.

I have to think the combination of additives (on M1's part) is at least as equivalent to ST despite ST having more calcium.

The ones i saw at walmart were sn oil all of them. the only oils rated different, were sl..whcih was quaker state defy, and mobil synthetic high mileage.
interesting supertech would hae more detergency than mobil 1???

i do 3 month changes, many shrot stop n go traffic stops, and usualy get noe more than 1,200 miles in 3 months. so obviously mobil would be a complete waste, and for the teens temps coming, my reaserch showed supertech 5w30 and 10w30 showed some of the lwoest pour points listed! minues 47 degrees F* REally wanna try pennzoil yellow bottle, but belive the pour point is like minus 34 F and more pricey..well technically. this is last week at NAPA, lcoal to me, NAPA synthetic or pennzoil yellow bottle $3.49 a quart..
i forget how much the supertech 5w30 snthetic was, think like $6 a quart at my local walmart.

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
Supertech synthetic has about 350ppm more of detergent additive than vanilla M1.

Vanilla M1 is 1200ppm calcium and 750 magnesium

ST is 2350ppm calcium.

Some don't prefer magnesium in spark ignited engines.

Mobil 1 is Vanilla scented ? I'm gettin me some of that TODAY!
55.gif

Lol!

But if the OP wants to clean, he should look for high detergent oils, perhaps at the PQIA website. High mileage oils seem to have the most detergents.

I don't know why you would bother with either.

If it were my '98 Corolla, I would run PYB or QSGB conventional and change it every year.

I have run ST Synthetic in the past,its a fine oil.The car I used it in is still very clean today.Its got around 106,000 miles.

It's a 98 Corolla. It probably doesn't care what you put in it. With the frequency that you change the oil, it will probably do fine with even regular Supertech.

yea ST oil is okay I have used in few cars with no probs. Syn ia $17+ a 5qt jug, but I think the pour point # isn't as important as the cold temp pumping n cranking stats for the oil. I change my oil once a month because I go 3000 miles and 90 % of that city drivingusually, you need to stretch out farther

Nobody here knows the answer to your question and there's no easy way of finding an answer.
You could use ST with no worries and you should probably extend your OCIs to six months.
If you're doing six month low miles drains, it's more a matter of fuel and moisture contamination of the oil than the quality of the oil used.
Either M1 or ST would work just fine, but so would a number of cheaper conventional oils.

MM well, i dont wanna extend the drain, becaue the traffic is that bad here mostly, every 3 months, 8 miles to work, 8 miles back, 3 months the oil is thickish looking and BLACK. And thats even with a new air filter, dealer , which ive since replaced with a pure1 air fitler, and have done the lcv valve few thousand miles ago, dealer pcv valve.
it looks all stressed n thick ect, after 3 months. Car dosnt wanna start as good till its been drained. so to me it scarbon bi impuritys build up, and the other reason not to extend, is possible moisture buildup feul dilution in the oil. not going over 40 MPH with a stop sig, red light or backed up traffic, might as well be NYC taxi traffic where i am..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back