How to run transferred Navionics App on Android

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, I'll try to keep this brief

I purchased the Navionics Great Lakes chart/app for my Droid X phone a few years ago. This app is no longer supported by Navionics, and they currently have a "newer" version out, which means I have to re-purchase the app to have it on my new phone (Motorola Moto X). I just received my new phone a few days ago, and all my apps transferred over, expect this one, because it's no longer available.

So, I connected my old Droid X to my laptop with USB cable and transferred the Navionics folder saved on my Droid's hard drive, along with an .apk file that was found in my "download" file.

I successfully transferred these two files onto my new phone.

So my question is, the files are there, but there is no "launch" icon to be found and when I search through the files, there is no launch file that I could find. Anyone know how to launch an app that has been manually installed onto a phone?

Originally Posted By: Phishin
So my question is, the files are there, but there is no "launch" icon to be found and when I search through the files, there is no launch file that I could find. Anyone know how to launch an app that has been manually installed onto a phone?

You have to actually install the app using the .apk file that you have. Now, I can't remember off the top of my had how it's done. Have you tried just navigating to the folder where this .apk files is and clicking on it?

Or use this to install:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rhythm.hexise.inst&hl=en

Thanks Quattro Pete!!

I'm pretty phone/computer/technology handicapped.....my problem was, when I was looking at the .apk file from the "download" area on my phone, my phone would say "Unable to open file" anytime I clicked on this .apk file on my phone.

This new Moto X phone doensn't even have a "Files" section on it. I had to download an app to see/navigate the files on my phone. Once I downloaded that file app, I was able to see the entire Navionics app on my phone's hard drive, and then I could see the actual "download" folder as well. When I opened the download folder, there was the Navionics .apk file. When I opened the file using this method, it asked if I wanted to open the file using the Android Installer. Of course I clicked "Yes" and now I'm golden!!

Thanks man!! I didn't want to pay another $50 for this App. Yeah, it's super handy, and saves me from buying a dedicated GPS when navigating the Great Lakes, but $50 is $50.

Last edited:
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back