Revolver vs Semi Auto for carry

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys use and why?

Right now I carry a semi but have thought about getting a concealable revolver (like the Sp101).

Just today I traded my Sig Sauer P938 (semi-auto) for a Smith & Wesson 640 Pro (revolver). The Sig is Single Action Only, similar in style to a 1911, I just never got comfortable with carrying the Sig cocked & locked, a single action pistol just wasn't for me (it also had some reliability and accuracy issues). I considered a striker-fired pistol, such as the S&W Shield, but the revolver just felt so much better in my hands, and I actually thought the Shield felt slightly "chintzy", despite all the glowing reviews.

Note that an SP101 is not a light gun, it may be suitable for concealed carry in your situation, but make sure you try it on first. If it fits it's a great gun.

Revolvers have an edge in reliability and ease of operation under the stress of a gunfight. No safeties to worry about, just pull the trigger. No magazine to give issues, dirt is less of an issue, ect.

However, depending on the semi auto, you will have an edge in trigger pull(Single action), ammo capacity for size(usually.)

Now, I have owned a Ruger police service six snubbie in 357 mag, and I ditched it for a semi auto years ago. If you take care of your semi auto, and its a quality gun, I see very little reason to pick a revolver most times.

Depends on your carry needs. If you are out in a wilderness environment where a powerful sidearm is necessary to dispatch a bear, mountain lion, pig, etc., then a large caliber revolver is your best bet. Ruger Super Redhawk .454 Casull (also fires .45 Colt)
In a personal protection scenario, a fast firing, high capacity semi-auto is your best choice. Springfield XD 9mm

I carry at work, (I work outdoors) and most of the time I'm working in Detroit so I carry a Glock model 22 .40cal. I figured I may need the higher capacity of a semi auto if I find myself in a position where I need to defend myself.

I carry a little Taurus Millennium Pro .40. Deadly accurate, cheap little gun and holds plenty of rounds in case I ever need it!

I couldn't see myself carrying (concealed) a revolver because of the "bulkiness" maybe open carry.

Law prohibits concealed carry here but I would not have any physical problems to carry my trusty Browning Hi-Power Mk III if necessary. It *feels* considerably slimmer than my P226.

Back in the day I owned among other things a 2 1/2" S&W m. 66 and I feel that it would not be too big either for a wheel gun. The 3" model 629 Lew Horton Special was a bit too fat.
grin.gif

Most of the time I carry a Kahr PM9 or PM40 when I'm not carrying my duty weapon. For me it's the smallest gun I will actually carry and have near if needed.

I use both depending on my flavor of the year. Last year my main concealed carry fun was my Ruger sp101. This year is my subcompact beretta PX4 storm. I have many more in my collection. Sometimes I carry my duty weapon which is a glock 23.

Ruger LCR with +P's for the lightness in an OWB holster. On rare occasions a Kahr P45, but I put nearly a 1000 rounds thru it to make sure it functioned reliably before I began carrying it. It did take a while to break in and a lot of shooting before I was satisfied. Not so with the revolver.

Primary is an auto with spare mag,SP101 in 357mag is my BUG. Commonly know as the NY reload.
Be safe, be ready.

When I carried for work I carried a S&W .357. When I carried concealed for PP I carried a S&W .357. If I ever carry concealed for PP again it will be a S&W .357.

I prefer the reliability of a revolver and truth be told I shoot better with them. I find them more accurate than a semi as a rule.

I am old school in most things though granted.

Early in my career I carried a wheel gun with 2 speed loaders, 18 rounds on mt belt total. A few years later we moved to Glocks and were packing 52 rounds. We never looked back. Concealed now I use 1911, Glock 23, Walther PPS or Ruger LCP. Depends on what outer clothing is the day's post retirement wear.

A quality semi auto pistol won't misfire. I've put several thousand rounds through my H&K USP Compact (which would be my choice for carry because I am so familiar with it) and never had a misfire. Not one. Quality ammo in a quality pistol will be as reliable as a revolver. Ultimate accuracy isn't really an issue in defensive use. 3" groups at 25 yards is a degree of accuracy that isn't going to be utilized in a close range, adrenaline-filled situation. The increased capacity and more slim frame of an auto make it my choice, but though I've carried at work for 8 years and had a Virginia CCP for 6, I've honestly not carried concealed in public...I've got a gun with me most of the time, but it's not concealed.

Key point is this: you must put several thousand rounds through your carry gun. You must be able to shoot that weapon instinctively. You must be able to draw it quickly, fire it accurately, and know it intimately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back