2012 Honda Civic Speakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
The front speakers in my 2012 Honda Civic Coupe sound good, but the rear speakers do not. This car has the standard sound system without the subwoofer. I replaced the stock rear speakers with 6.5 inch Polk 2-way speakers. I had recently replaced the speakers in my Trailblazer with the same type and they sound great. Unfortunately they didn't make much of an improvement in the audio quality of the Civic. I noticed that the rear deck in the Civic is full of holes that allow the pressure wave from the rear of the speaker to easily reach the front of the speaker, thereby canceling each other; especially at lower frequencies. I was thinking about buying some “Dynamat” to seal the openings, but found a thread on another forum that recommended using “Peel and Seal” roofing repair tape as a low cost alternate. I bought a roll of Peel and Seal at Lowes and this is what the rear deck of the Civic looked like when I was finished.

2h3q63n.jpg

The Peel and Seal did help somewhat, but not much. Apparently the OEM Honda Head Unit doesn’t provide a very good signal to the rear speakers. I used the Peel and Seal to fill the openings in the rear deck of a 2009 Chevy Cobalt with Alpine 6x9 Speakers, and the OEM Delco Head Unit, and it worked great in this application. There was a dramatic increase in low frequency performance.

Here is a picture of the OEM Honda speakers that I removed, which are among the least impressive that I have ever seen.

24w7akn.jpg

our 05 has a great sounding stereo or stock. it loud and clear. I am surprised to hear the newer ones aren't as good.

I second that... my 04 had a suprisingly good sounding speaker set for a economy car in its time, especially with a aftermarket headunit

I would say it doesn't look that bad for a factory speaker. I am not fond of plastic baskets though. It looks like a decent cone and surround, I bet that magnet is much stronger than it looks.

Something else I just thought of. That car probably uses some type of external crossover or processor limiting the frequencies to the rear speakers.

Last edited:
Honda, like many other car makers has been cutting corners. We leased a 2011 Honda Civic and the sound was pretty bad. I give you some major credit for the effort!

That looks like one cheap loudspeaker! I'm assuming your model doesn't have the tweeters in the dash, just the front lower door and rear deck? The 8th gen. Civic dash mounted tweeters were in an extremely poor position which was later rectified by Honda in the next generation. Now change out the fronts as well. Hopefully you won't have to do anything more. You could end up spending alot more $ and not necessarrily have the sound you're hoping for.

The speakers in my girlfriend's '01 Civic sound pretty bad. You get used to it after a while, but it's probably one of the worst I've heard. I'm not sure if it's just the speakers, or the head unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back