Mos2 dosing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I popped into my local napa last fri. Asking about L/M products. Clerk gives me a copy from the Lubro moly catalog. it has info about their products and dosage amouts. about dosing. It says " Mos2 application: 1 Can treats up to 1.5 gal or 6 liters of oil. However, On the can it says. " sufficient for up to 4 liters of oil ". ?? Two questions: 1. What is the proper dose for one 300ML can, 4 or 6 liters? 2. I haven't seen any dosage reccomendations regarding engine Volume/displacement. I'm I to assume one 300ML bottle will Treat/Moly plate a 1.6 liter and a 6.0 liter engine the same? I'm new to this product. What am I missing? Thanks

Originally Posted By: Sw296inchblue
I popped into my local napa last fri. Asking about L/M products. Clerk gives me a copy from the Lubro moly catalog. it has info about their products and dosage amouts. about dosing. It says " Mos2 application: 1 Can treats up to 1.5 gal or 6 liters of oil. However, On the can it says. " sufficient for up to 4 liters of oil ". ?? Two questions: 1. What is the proper dose for one 300ML can, 4 or 6 liters? 2. I haven't seen any dosage reccomendations regarding engine Volume/displacement. I'm I to assume one 300ML bottle will Treat/Moly plate a 1.6 liter and a 6.0 liter engine the same? I'm new to this product. What am I missing? Thanks

Dump the whole can and forget about it. Maybe use a full can every other oil change after that.

Originally Posted By: eagle23
The whole can is what I used for the initial dose. Some folks use a half can for subsequent oil changes.

+1

The proper does is ... NONE.
Colloidal (suspended powder)MoS2 is not used as an additive by any major oil co for a good reason. An believe me they WOULD use it if it provided mileage benefits AND the oil would pass ILSAC/API cert.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
The proper does is ... NONE.
Colloidal (suspended powder)MoS2 is not used as an additive by any major oil co for a good reason. An believe me they WOULD use it if it provided mileage benefits AND the oil would pass ILSAC/API cert.

The presence or absence of MoS2 in motor oil is unlikely to affect certification - MoS2 is very inert. It's ability to lubricate and reduce friction is not the subject of any serious discussion.

The only issue remaining would be cost effectiveness to the oil company. Modern motor oils for consumers are quite good anyway, and the oil makers may feel no need to make them better - particularly by adding in a competitor's component (and not just any competitor, but one from a different area of endeavor).

Mileage benefits of MoS2 may exist but are not well documented.

One of the major benefits of MoS2 - that it stays in engine bearings and continues to lubricate even with the loss of oil - is an interesting quality, but somewhat akin to buying meteorite insurance.

It may just be aesthetics - MoS2 makes your oil turn black (or very dark gray).

Or maybe colloidal MoS2 just gets filtered out by the oil filter before it has a chance to plate onto engine wear surfaces.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Or maybe colloidal MoS2 just gets filtered out by the oil filter before it has a chance to plate onto engine wear surfaces.

No. Most oil filters are ~90% efficient for particles > 15 microns. The exact details may vary by filter but that's a ballpark number. As particle size decreases, efficiency drops off sharply. By the time you get to 1 micron size particles or smaller, that is beyond the capability of any full-flow oil filter. Even if you bought MoS2 powder on eBay in the 2-3 micron size, very little would be filtered out. The MoS2 may settle out - to the bottom of your pan - but that's a different question.

Originally Posted By: 95busa
If that stuff worked OEM would use it to beat CAFE. Waste of money.

If MoS2 worked to increase fuel economy, OEM might use it, etc. I don't recall anyone in this thread suggesting that it did increase fuel economy. In fact, from a previous message, "Mileage benefits of MoS2 may exist but are not well documented".

Okay, you dislike the product. What can you contribute to the thread?

The colloidal particles may agglomerate and be trapped in the filter. Just BC they were 1-3microns at one point doesn't mean they will not agglomerate in situ. ADDS may treat them as soot and bind them for filtering.

The colloidal particles may agglomerate and be trapped in the filter. Just BC they were 1-3microns at one point doesn't mean they will not agglomerate in situ. ADDS may treat them as soot and bind them for filtering.

It might happen, but I've never seen any evidence of this in personal use and I've never read that this was a problem or even a consideration. Even larger particles (8-10 micron size) do not seem to be trapped in an oil filter. I have used 8-10 micron sized powder when I could not find anything else, and it seemed to stay in the oil - not filtered, not settled - just as well as the smaller particles.

Since MoS2 doesn't dissolve, larger particles do tend to settle out, to the bottom of the pan. By the time the particles are sub-micron size, there is not much settling. Depending on the design of the engine sump, settling might not make much difference either - the oil flow in and out of the sump would keep things stirred up.

Have you ever used MoS2 in your engine? I'm asking because you have been very dismissive of this additive ("Waste of money"). You are dismissing the most common dry-film lubricant in industrial use today, dismissing a product which has been in widespread military and industrial use for almost a century, dismissing a product recommended and sold by Volkswagen (among others) for use in engine oil. Please share your experience or the source of your views on MoS2.

Originally Posted By: dave5358

It might happen, but I've never seen any evidence of this in personal use and I've never read that this was a problem or even a consideration. Even larger particles (8-10 micron size) do not seem to be trapped in an oil filter. I have used 8-10 micron sized powder when I could not find anything else, and it seemed to stay in the oil - not filtered, not settled - just as well as the smaller particles.

Since MoS2 doesn't dissolve, larger particles do tend to settle out, to the bottom of the pan. By the time the particles are sub-micron size, there is not much settling. Depending on the design of the engine sump, settling might not make much difference either - the oil flow in and out of the sump would keep things stirred up.

Have you ever used MoS2 in your engine? I'm asking because you have been very dismissive of this additive ("Waste of money"). You are dismissing the most common dry-film lubricant in industrial use today, dismissing a product which has been in widespread military and industrial use for almost a century, dismissing a product recommended and sold by Volkswagen (among others) for use in engine oil. Please share your experience or the source of your views on MoS2.

thumbsup2.gif

because there is MODTC?

If MoS2 had real benefits in motor oil it would be used as an EP/AW in current approved oils.

I say again, its not used in ANY ILSAC certified motor oil. PERIOD.

Its an excellent dry lube for many sliding and bearing applications, and may have some benefit in certain gearboxes and power transfer lubes.

I ran it in the Honda (below) and I lost pressure and almost grenaded the engine.
I have a 1/3 bottle of LiquiMoly left If any body wants to lunch Their MOTOR.
I was drawn to it at the local NAPA and the other LiquiMoly oils. Wish I never walked into that store and bought that junk.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

thumbsup2.gif

Here's my experience. It did nothing. And for daring to say that, I got a bunch of juvenile, inane, someone off their meds clap trap.

This chemical is well known to lubrication engineers. I understand it's used in aircraft to enable lubrication in case of catastrophic loss and has been around for a long time.

Given its non mystery status and known benefits, I am sure that motor oil engineers would use it if it had any benefit in vehicles.

If it improved fuel economy by the same amount that 30 to 20 weight oil does, which is a minuscule amount, the vehicle manufacturers would have developed an oil that included it and incorporated it into their spec to get CAFE credits.

Engine and lubrication engineers have not utilized it. Management and bean counters have not pushed it.

So I think its safe to say it provides no fuel economy benefit.

Originally Posted By: 95busa
If that stuff worked OEM would use it to beat CAFE. Waste of money.

If MoS2 worked to increase fuel economy, OEM might use it, etc. I don't recall anyone in this thread suggesting that it did increase fuel economy. In fact, from a previous message, "Mileage benefits of MoS2 may exist but are not well documented".

Okay, you dislike the product. What can you contribute to the thread?

Alright. I will refine my comment to its essence. "Waste of money"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back