Hey Guys,

LM 0w40 Synth Oil - I think this group 4

Vs

M1 0w40 Group 3

Both meet the A40 spec.

What is general opinion about LM are they as reputable as M1

M1 is the FF.

M1 meets the A40 spec.

General consensus is that at ~$5 a quart M1 0w40 is one of the best oil values in the US market.

M1 0W40 is not classified as a Grp III oil, its a Visom blend which is proprietary and meeting all the stringent specs it does, its certainly a synthetic.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
M1 0W40 is not classified as a Grp III oil, its a Visom blend which is proprietary and meeting all the stringent specs it does, its certainly a synthetic.

It is a group III+.

The Synthoil Energy 0w40 is NOT Porsche approved, it is only recommended for that application. Also only API SM. HTHS of 3.6 but VI is almost identical to M1 0w40. Might be a good fit for a Euro motor that can safely stay on the thin side.

LM makes great stuff, but M1 easily wins the price and availability awards.

LM does win the 10w60 battle though, so if you ever have a post-2000 BMW M car, use it with confidence, since it is the only 10w60 that's sold in US stores (most Napas have it, and the ones that don't can easily order it).

I have wanted to try LM's oils though, but it just doesn't make sense in light of easy M1 and Edge availability.

It would be awesome to see PQIA test their oil, though.

@dparm, does Porsche actually approve oil for A40, the way GM approves dexos and Chrysler's ATF+4 program? I thought it was "just" a spec.

"Visom" = Grp III

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

"Visom" = Grp III

Kinda. It is a bit like GTL in that it doesn't quite fit the standard definition
21.gif

Originally Posted By: tommygunn

@dparm, does Porsche actually approve oil for A40, the way GM approves dexos and Chrysler's ATF+4 program? I thought it was "just" a spec.

Yes, there is definitely an approval list. You can do a Google search for it.

Hi,
Ndx - Yes, LM is a reputable Company and a supplier of FF to some German Manufacturers.

At one stage they supplied Daimler-Benz (Daimler AG) with FF along with a number of others - they may still be.............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back