What do you guys think of ETCG and Scotty Kilmer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
These guys have some pretty good videos on YouTube about DIY car maintenance. I like the detailed videos Eric the Car Guy has. He does a good job explaining things and doesn't edit out mistakes/errors he makes so the viewers know stuff to look out for. Scotty Kilmer is more animated and has shorter, more to-the-point videos. He is definitely experienced and good to watch if you want a general overview of what a job entails. His intros are so loud I always have to turn down the volume. I think he advocates using "quick fix" products too much though. In one video, he talked about using synthetic transmission fluid (all good so far) but recommended some random multi-vehicle fluid brand I've never even heard of
eek.gif

What do you think of these guys?

Last edited:
I find them both to be a little crude, however they do show you how to accomplish many things.
I spent many years as an aircraft mechanic and some of the "hot hammer" repairs would not fly in my world. Motorcycle mechanics are the closest thing to AC mechanics, you can't shut the hood and hide your mistakes.

YMMV....Smoky

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
I find them both to be a little crude, however they do show you how to accomplish many things.
I spent many years as an aircraft mechanic and some of the "hot hammer" repairs would not fly in my world
. Motorcycle mechanics are the closest thing to AC mechanics, you can't shut the hood and hide your mistakes.

YMMV....Smoky

Funny, because as a DIY-er and not having "proper" tools for every job out there, I want to know those little tricks that may help me. Now, I'm not into cutting corners and hack jobs. I want to do the job right and I know there are multiple ways to accomplish that without expensive speciality tools. I also realize that in some cases getting that special tool is the best way to go.
And aircraft repair and maintenance (which BTW is not without hacks as well) is a totally different ball game that should not be compared to automotive.
Different strokes I guess.

I prefer ETCG, Scotty is almost useless when it comes to actually do a job he shows. Sure he shows you the main parts, but he won't tell you where you might face a difficulty and how to get around it, unlike Eric who will.

I dunno who these guys are. I am a DIY sort. I have been fixing my cars for 50 yrs. I have a forum for the BMWs and one heck of a bunch they are. Old BMWs are pretty easy to wrench on if you aren't trying to make money. The Jeeps, I gave up on because I couldn't stay ahead of the tinworm. The 528es are succumbing as well. I use hammers, bars sawzalls, grinders, clamps and pop rivets,thousand of them, to patch up my daily driver. I rescued it after it had been wrecked by its 16 yr old driver. It was fun. I made mistakes, added more metal, cut from other E 28s. After 10 months of spare time, I had a very serviceable commuter that was base lined for daily use. It came with a carfax, that documented the odometer at 117,000. That is barely broken in for this car's mechanicals. The Carfax made no mention of the repaired damage I found everywhere. This is why the repairs took so long.

Eric The Car Guy is the better of the two in my opinion, but I'm also biased, because I don't like Scotty's obnoxious style. He looses credibility because of it.

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
I spent many years as an aircraft mechanic and some of the "hot hammer" repairs would not fly in my world. Motorcycle mechanics are the closest thing to AC mechanics, you can't shut the hood and hide your mistakes.

YMMV....Smoky

Could you expound a little?

The one thing that bothers me about ETCG is that he never uses a torque wrench even in applications that really should get torqued down. Then again I'm a real by-the-book guy who uses a torque wrench on just about anything I can find a spec for.

He uses a torque wrench on things that really need it, like head bolts, intake bolts etc. But spark plugs and things professional mechanics have replaced thousands of times, they get the hand feel of how tight they should be and don't waste time using a torque wrench.

Originally Posted By: hypervish
I prefer ETCG, Scotty is almost useless when it comes to actually do a job he shows. Sure he shows you the main parts, but he won't tell you where you might face a difficulty and how to get around it, unlike Eric who will.

I agree. Scotty is good for basic information, but Eric gets into the details. Eric also sells videos with more detailed information such as for timing belt information.
Scotty is at least entertaining!

Regards, JC.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
He uses a torque wrench on things that really need it, like head bolts, intake bolts etc. But spark plugs and things professional mechanics have replaced thousands of times, they get the hand feel of how tight they should be and don't waste time using a torque wrench.

On my car, I challenge ANYONE to accurately use a torque wrench on the spark plugs, especially the passenger rear one!!
eek.gif

Maybe one could use one with 2 universal joints attached, but there goes ANY 'accuracy'.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

On my car, I challenge ANYONE to accurately use a torque wrench on the spark plugs, especially the passenger rear one!!
eek.gif

Maybe one could use one with 2 universal joints attached, but there goes ANY 'accuracy'.
wink.gif

I just did 2 GM fwd V-6s this afternoon. You'd have to remove the engine to use a torque wrench on the plugs!

You can't get a "hand feel" of how tight things should be when you're using an impact gun, no matter how experienced you are.

ETCG is definitely the more dedicated when it comes to actually helping the DIY complete the job CORRECTLY! Gives complete and detailed step by step with excellent video to back up the explanation. I trust Eric more.

The ScottyKilmer Channel is not nearly as helpful and
his attitude is obnoxious at times as well.

I remember in one video Scotty was asked if he knew of or had ever spoken to Eric...Scotty replied in a strident tone (lying??)
"I've never heard of the guy".

Briansmobile is my go to, with ETCG close behind. Eric mostly deals with Hondas where Brian has a good variety. Scotty Kilmer is for entertainment value only.

I thought Scotty's videos are loud and seem rushed. "Bang, Pow, Bam, done". I usually seem him work on Toyotas and ETCG favors Hondas. Eric does seem to ramble a bit on life, some dry humor and could speed up the process some, but mostly does a nice job. Scotty reminds me of a 1970's 30 second spot on the 6 o'clock news on how to fix your car. But that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back