2007 Impala Spark Plug replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone done it on this car? I'm gonna attempt it on my mom's car this afternoon since it's at 100,000 miles. I've done some research and the consensus for the GM fwd sedans with the engine mounts that bolt to the front core support, is to unbolt them and use a ratchet strap on the engine hook to the core support, and pull the engine forward to get at the rear plugs. Sound like a plan?

Thanks!

I have done the plus twice on my 2007 with the 3.9 and my best piece of advice would be to remove the coil pack, it will give you enough clearance to not need to unbolt any other mounts. The front plugs take about 5 minutes to change but the back took about 30 minutes or so. Just be patient and hopefully the boots for the plug wires aren't stuck too bad. Use plenty of dielectric grease on the inside of the plug boots when you put it all back together, so next time will be easier.

You can leave three of the plug wires on them. Odds or evens, your pick. It's easier to just unplug everything and get it out of the way.

I think there are 4 bolts that hold the coil pack on, they are a single assembly and if you undo the harness that plugs into it that will give it more slack. I changed the plug wires so I just unplugged everything.

Thanks guys, I got it done. The 3 back plugs looked fine, gap was at spec (0.040), but the front 3 were all over 0.050. Weird. The car had the head gaskets replaced under warranty; maybe they changed the back 3 plugs??? I replaced them all.

It seems to idle smoother now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back