power flow pf-1 oil additive??

Status
Not open for further replies.
At work last night a driver wanted this additive added to his transmission. He said its what the army is running in everything. It said it contains no moly, Teflon, sulfur, and other things I can't remember... Has anyone ever heard of this additive? Is it just more snake oil? It had claims similar to motor kote.

I made an error it is power fluids Pf-1 additive. I do not have an auto I shift my own gears. The trans the guy wanted it added to was an Eaton rearranged 10speed. My nv5600 has 9qts of amsoil syncromesh with fast coolers. Anyways this additive states it can be added to engine, trans, rears, and what ever else. I'm just trying to see if it is more false advertising.

So no one has ever heard anything about this additive? Power fluids pf-1.
(i would fix the title, but I see no way to edit anything...)

Originally Posted By: dixon700
So no one has ever heard anything about this additive? Power fluids pf-1.
(i would fix the title, but I see no way to edit anything...)

You can try to notify the mods about the title change you'd like to make. Hit the notify button and give it a shot if you'd like.

I shelled out my nv5600. I don't believe I'm going to try any sort of additives anymore for anything and just try to stick to good fluids.

Originally Posted By: dixon700
At work last night a driver wanted this additive added to his transmission. He said its what the army is running in everything. It said it contains no moly, Teflon, sulfur, and other things I can't remember... Has anyone ever heard of this additive? Is it just more snake oil? It had claims similar to motor kote.

1) Never heard of it.

2) The Power Flow PF-1 website is basically worthless (surprise, surprise). From the description, they might be using MoS2, except that they mention "contains no solids" and "no build-up".

3) The MSDS doesn't reveal much except this: "APPEARANCE / ODOR: Amber / Hydrocarbon". If it's amber, then it probably does not contain MoS2. Maybe some other form of moly??

4) If you rule out MoS2, then it could be just mineral oil (à la Z-Max - >99% mineral oil).

5) Or, there's a chance they are using PTFE (Teflon) - a popular magic ingredient - in which event you might want to use it as a shelf decoration or paper weight.

6) As for the U S Army using it, that's a definite negative.

7) Good luck trying to buy some. If you go to their 'where to buy' page, it is almost empty.

Quote:
A smooth, oiled surface is more slippery and creates less friction than a non-oiled surface.

Ya Think?
crazy2.gif

The write up claims no moly,so scratch that.

I'm leery of anything called a metal conditioner. How do you condition metal.
I'm betting it's a chlorinated paraffin which we all know is bad.
By the sounds of the description of how it works I'm betting chlorinated parafin.

Therefore don't use. It's junk.

Originally Posted By: trajan
Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: oilboy123
Usually the military makes good decisions, but......

Army intelligence is an oxymoron.

Keep in mind that if they are using one, it's from the lowest bidder.

Mindless homilies aside, it's unlikely to see a brand-name product in a motor pool supply. The product might actually be there, but in DOD or Army packaging. It might be supplied by the lowest bidder, but it might also be a sole-source item (one situation where the product might be in 'civilian' packaging).

As part of the purchase contract, vehicle and equipment suppliers specify the lubricants and additives required for their equipment. And they frequently specify lubricants right off the military's list of available lubricants). If a supplier specifies the use of something not on the list, a technician or engineer at Tank and Automotive Command will try to match it to an existing DA or DOD product (Lubricating Oil Type 7 Mark 3, etc) - the military's list of available supply items is extensive. If a product absolutely can't be matched, the TACOM tech folks should go back to the equipment vendor and ask if they can recommend a substitute product (or even if the product is really necessary at all). Since most military vehicles are supplied by large defense contractors, this situation doesn't come up every day.

Putting something non-spec in the oil or using non-spec oil or grease of a military vehicle is greatly frowned upon - a good way to get fired (for civilians) or seriously disciplined. Lubrication Orders are rather strictly followed. When the IG or a tech inspector makes his periodic visit, compliance with LOs is always checked (and it's not a good thing to have some odd-ball product sitting on your supply shelf).

With UOAs in use on just about every piece of equipment, putting in a non-spec additive should be detected. Granted, a pint of 99% mineral oil Z-Max in the sump on your M939 5-ton truck may not be detected (by either the IG or by the vehicle). Tank and Automotive Command should get digital copies of most UOAs. I don't know if these UOAs are analyzed by computer (likely) or by a clerk, but it would not be difficult for a computer program to scan and highlight unexpected readings found on a UOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back