10W30 in a TWO stroke?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the bad ole days we used 30w non-detergent oil at 16 to 1 for our chainsaws etc. It smoked, stunk, drooled, fouled plugs and carboned up ports and pistons, but it DID lubricate the engine. Today's two-cycle oils are light years ahead of those plain 30 weight oils of past, use them at the manufacturers recomended ratios and enjoy your double stokes!

a little OT, but what about going with one of the electric kits, like the ones that replace the rear hub with a larger hub holding an integrated motor?

I've been daydreaming of doing an electric 2WD bike for a while, one motor/hub on each wheel. the parts seem pretty plug and play.

and then the tinker-gene gets going. part deux could be a small 1hp 4cycle direct drive to a small gen head.... to replenish long commutes... and it becomes a hybrid!! Tune the engine right... sips fuel...

I've used straight 30 in two strokes. Works well enough in high concentrations.

However, there are still places one can purchase conventional 2 stroke oil for a very reasonable price. Why do such a thing, such as using 10w-30 when a much more suitable product is available for similar cost?

Determine the bearing type and whether the cylinder walls are chromed. I would think 2 stroke oil at 32:1 would be sufficient if bronze, and bare aluminum cyl. 40:1 if chrome with needle bearings.

Obviously this is a 3rd world recommendation. This engine manufacturer probably sells a lot of engines in 3rd world countries, where good quality 2 stroke oil would be hard to find. I would run a high quality 2 stroke oil at 40:1 myself.

20:1 is ridiculous in this day and age.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back