Who really enjoys driving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of us have to drive to work each weekday and most of us must also do so for shopping and errands.
Do you enjoy your driving?
I am blessed with a 25 mile each way commute that involves mostly uncongested two lane with plenty of passing opportunities should I wish to go fast.
I find the drives to and from work restful and enjoyable, as I do most driving.
I also enjoy the challenge of a nasty winter's drive, which we have here at least a couple of times each winter, sometimes for days at a time.
The only driving I really dislike is when I'm stuck in traffic just inching along, which is even less fun when I'm driving a stick.
Overall, though, I enjoy the driving I do.
One may as well, as much of it as most of us have to do.
How about you?

Absolutely. Every minute technical detail... like slowing from 50 to 25 a good distance behind a car that's turning, and having that car turn just in time that I don't have to decellerate further and can just nail it and resume speed. Same with timing traffic lights in my favor. Missing potholes gracefully. Entering a roundabout (not rotary) way over speed and cutting the apexes for an exit on the next right.

I enjoy my drive every day. While not as long as yours, my daily drive is 20 miles one way. Some expressway, and a good amount of back roads. I really enjoy driving my '09 Accord 5-speed every day.

I also enjoy some winter weather. I get a kick out of the fact that I'll make it to work on time, but others who are a mile or two away will call in because of the weather conditions or are very late.

I totally agree. The feeling of driving on a nice spring day with the windows down is unbeatable.
19.gif
I too enjoy the challenge of driving through tough weather now-and-again. Hearing the gears shift and the noise of your engine out on the open road is awesome. The relationship between man and his vehicle is truly a special one.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
I totally agree. The feeling of driving on a nice spring day with the windows down is unbeatable.
19.gif
I too enjoy the challenge of driving through tough weather now-and-again. Hearing the gears shift and the noise of your engine out on the open road is awesome. The relationship between man and his vehicle is truly a special one.

I can beat that by dropping the top.
Shifting the gears yourself is also more fun.

I don't really mind, although it is getting old fast.
I started with serious commuting to work in 1990 with a 103 mile round trip/daily for 3 years.
From 8/93-6/95, it went down to 92 miles round trip/daily.
From 8/95-6/97, it went down to 46 miles round trip/daily.
From 8/97 to present, it has been 130 miles round trip/daily.
Fortunately, I only have 14 more months of this before I can retire.
The Accord in my signature is my work car. All those miles have been put on since I put it in service new in December 2012.
It will be nice to cut the gas budget significantly.

I used to. An hour each way to work is slowly sapping it. Plus as I get older I've found I drive more aggressively, especially when traffic starts to pile up on the highway.

I still kinda like it, I enjoy a nice long drive someplace where I haven't been; but especially as I head into winter hours it's the same inky blackness yet all the same morons...

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Most of us have to drive to work each weekday and most of us must also do so for shopping and errands.
Do you enjoy your driving?
I am blessed with a 25 mile each way commute that involves mostly uncongested two lane with plenty of passing opportunities should I wish to go fast.
I find the drives to and from work restful and enjoyable, as I do most driving.
I also enjoy the challenge of a nasty winter's drive, which we have here at least a couple of times each winter, sometimes for days at a time.
The only driving I really dislike is when I'm stuck in traffic just inching along, which is even less fun when I'm driving a stick.
Overall, though, I enjoy the driving I do.
One may as well, as much of it as most of us have to do.
How about you?

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Absolutely. Every minute technical detail... like slowing from 50 to 25 a good distance behind a car that's turning, and having that car turn just in time that I don't have to decellerate further and can just nail it and resume speed. Same with timing traffic lights in my favor. Missing potholes gracefully. Entering a roundabout (not rotary) way over speed and cutting the apexes for an exit on the next right.

I make an an identical drive, and employ the same techniques. My DD is the maxima, 5 speed, 3L DOHC V6, 4 wheel discs and 235/45ZR17. I love driving, and I love driving my car.

If I had to drive a metro I would hate life.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

+1

I still enjoy it when folks are nice, or when the road is clear. Dealing with other drivers being idiots gets annoying fast on my commute, though. I used to drive 100-150 miles a day on mostly 2-lane roads. That's changed to 50 miles a day on mostly 6-lane interstate. I like the gas savings, but not the increased number of yahoos I need to contend with.

You do some serious commuting.
From the threads we both participated in last fall, I recall that you bought your Accord around the same time we bought ours, and you have more than twice the miles on yours.
Ours is now at 14.1K.
I can understand that you're getting tired of your daily drive.
The gas budget plus your time would be a real drag.
Good luck with your upcoming retirement.

Kinda. I used to live in the middle of nowhere. I could drive to my folk's house 280 miles away in a big city yet, and stop at maybe two stoplights along the way, right before I arrived. I lived in an outdoorsy area and just having a reliable economical car seemed like a magic carpet.

If you are ever driving across the country on a southern route, I recommend taking a detour and driving from Clifton, Arizona to Glenwood, New Mexico, especially in the middle of the week. Its like being in a BMW commercial.

Last edited:
Let's put it this way.

Z4, bought 2006 with 10K miles. Traded in 2011 with 129K miles for...

The Mustang 29,000 when bought. Today 96,000.

I love driving, that is why I refuse to drive a slushbox, and the Civic SI is like a scalpel. Takes turns great, transmission is just a dream, and the engine is willing and makes great mechanical music at high RPM.. It's the right tool for the job! (DD) haha!

Love it
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back