2008 GP trans fluid/filter change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonight, for the 2nd time in 5 years, I did a pan drop and fluid/filter change on my friends 2008 Grand Prix. It has the 4t65e transmission.

The last time I dropped the pan and changed the filter, we used a trans filter from Autozone. That was at 50000 miles. I remember when I replaced the filter that time, I had a hard time getting the filter back in. I replaced the collar seal that you press into the trans body itself with the new one that came with the new filter at that time. I had to really fight with getting the transmission filter to go into the seal and go in enough to get the pan back on.

Well, that was 80000 miles ago. Today at 130000 miles we did a pan drop and filter change and the same problem existed. A new filter, this time ac-delco and a new seal/collar. I lubricated the filter neck with fresh ATF and had to really push hard, wiggle, and twist the filter to get it to go up far enough so I could the pan back on.

When I put the pan back on, it felt like I had to push on it ever so slightly to get it flush, like the filter was in the way. I had already taken the filter on/off 2-3x to make sure I was getting it on as far as it would go so I could get the pan back on. I mean maybe Im overthinking this - the pan itself is only like 1/4" deep...lol.

Anyways, anybody else run into this problem with the 4t65e?

Last edited:
The trans service on my old 4T40E was similar. I always had a more difficult time getting the old seal out, rather than pressing the new one, and the filter into place.

So its pretty normal for the trans filter to be VERY tight going back into the seal on this transmission?

I had to remove the filter 2-3x because I wasnt confident I had it "up far enough". One time I couldnt even get the pan back on, the filter was keeping it from going flush. Removing the filter proved that it was definitely installed at least 1/2" into the seal.

But I removed it, put more ATF on the filter neck, and worked it again, this time got it a little further to where at least the pan would go flush and I got the bolts back in. Still, I feel uneasy about it. I suppose even if the filter wasnt in the seal "all the way", the pan is so shallow that I think it acts as a pressure point because there are clips on the filter that look like they were designed to keep the filter off the pan bottom. So it has to be designed this way?

Last edited:
We had the same problem on my sisters 2005 Saturn. Could not get the old collar out,so after several tires,we left it in and installed the new filter using the old collar . To date no problems.

I service a lot of these transmissions and also notice the filter seem to be seated but they many times are not.
If you are pulling it down without the help of a big screwdriver or small pry bar its usually not in fully.

I lube the seal and filter well with ATF then push it up until it seems seated then hit it with a dead blow hammer.
Hit it with a quick short rap not beat the hades out of it and dent it, it will go up a further 3/8- 1/2 inch. The pan seats fully and easily with no resistance, from the sounds of it i suspect yours in not seated fully.

I owned a 2004 GP, same transmission. Without question, the best daily driver car I ever owned, I had well over a quarter million on it when I sold it and it had way more left in life. I did the transmission fluid / filter on a regular basis as well. I never touch that seal, I leave the factory one in. It is too much hassle to change it. Same thing with my 4LE60 1996 K1500 and my new 2006 when the time comes... I will just leave that seal alone. Just my $.02 for others contemplating this task. For the OP I am sure Trav is right and the seal is not fully seated.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I service a lot of these transmissions and also notice the filter seem to be seated but they many times are not.
If you are pulling it down without the help of a big screwdriver or small pry bar its usually not in fully.

I lube the seal and filter well with ATF then push it up until it seems seated then hit it with a dead blow hammer.
Hit it with a quick short rap not beat the hades out of it and dent it, it will go up a further 3/8- 1/2 inch. The pan seats fully and easily with no resistance, from the sounds of it i suspect yours in not seated fully.

Ok I feel better reading that. Like I said, I removed the filter 2-3x making sure I had it in far enough. It was super difficult to remove and I had to use a screwdriver to pry it down. Even with the screwdriver, it took some muscle.

To install it, even with fresh atf on the filter neck, I am pretty much pushing, wiggling, twisting, and jimmying the new filter into the fitting with as much muscle I can use while on my back with arms in the air. That SOB likes to give me a run for my money..

Im just perplexed me on how difficult it is to get it into the seal - after all the pan drops Ive done on various transmissions, Ive never had one filter go in so tight as this one.

Im sure its in all the way, after all I did the last pan drop/filter change 80,000 miles ago and had the same problem. The filter I installed back then was a PITA to get out and in all those 80,000 miles, no problems.

Last edited:
Yep companies like to save money by not using a shoulder bolt to hold the filter up.
If you had to pry it down then its well in the seal alright, whether or not it could go up a little more i don't know without doing it myself.

My only concern is the resistance you are getting putting the pan up.
This what it should look like fully seated, the pic is not mine i borrowed it from pontiacbonnevilleclub.
Notice the filter lip in relation to the accumulator body, its almost flush.
If this area is where you are feeling resistance then you may need to give it a smack (in the outlined red area) as the bottom is hitting the pan or if the filter is an aftermarket it may be a little different.

Luckily it cant drop out and its highly doubtful it will starve for fluid as the pickup opening is slightly higher, it may pick up more junk faster as it accumulates on the bottom though.
If you don't bother (If its as tight as you say i probably wouldn't) you may want to save the pic for next time.
However any sign of laziness, whine or weird shifting would cause me to revisit the issue pronto.

zeyf.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back