M1 0W-40 - The Invisible Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, I have had no problem with any other oil...
For the record, this is the dipstick of my '96 Audi A4. How's yours different? I showed you mine, now show me yours.
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
Hmm, I have had no problem with any other oil...
For the record, this is the dipstick of my '96 Audi A4. How's yours different? I showed you mine, now show me yours.
tongue.gif

I tend to think the plastic makes the oil leech off the steel. My dipstick is just flat steel. I would go out and take a pic of it to show you, but it's pouring down rain (thanks to Bill).

I sympathize.. I just changed th oil for hte first time on my wifes new Hyundai Sonata with the 2.7 V6. I let the dealers do since it was free. They put in 5w-30 Valvoline and I cant see it. it calls for 4.4 quarts and I think they put in 4.5 but heck if I can tell. By the time I can even get an idea of how much is there its already slowly running away on me. I turn twist pull feel lick. anything just to get an idea. whoo.. going to have to wait about 1000 miles to get an idea. darn new clean engines.
fruit.gif

quote:

Originally posted by moribundman:
Here are three pictures that illustrate how it is difficult/impossible to read hot M1 0W-40.....

Keep in mind these pics are close-ups.

Thanks, moribundman. The experts always tell me that the problem with Synthetics is, not enough "cling" to the engine parts. Now, I see what they mean.

quote:

Originally posted by Flimflam:
Thanks, moribundman. The experts always tell me that the problem with Synthetics is, not enough "cling" to the engine parts. Now, I see what they mean.

Well, this is one case where the "experts" are full of crap.

You can't judge how an oil behaves under stress on moving parts by how it looks on the end of a dipstick.
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Flimflam:

No, this is not what I implied by showing how thin the oil film on the dispstick becomes. If I had any doubts about M1 0W-40, then I wouldn't be using it. You just can't judge the properties of an oil by looking at it. M1 0W-40 just happens to be an oil that's very hard to read on my car's dipstick. That's all.

Here are three pictures that illustrate how it is difficult/impossible to read hot M1 0W-40 on the dipstick. Just letting the engine (and the oil) cool for 20 minutes will get rid of this problem.

-

Keep in mind these pics are close-ups.

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:
You think 0w-40 is hard to read? Try 0w-30 or 5w-30. Now that's tough!
grin.gif

No doubt. Try M1 5W-30 on a Toyota dipstick that's finished in a (gold) chromate...
tongue.gif

[ July 02, 2003, 05:57 PM: Message edited by: jsharp ]

quote:

Here's Mobil 1 0w40 on the dipstick of my Olds minivan:

Good ole GM.....is that the 3.1L V6??

And does the oil cap say to use Mobil 1??
patriot.gif
Or are my eyes playing tricks on me???
burnout.gif

quote:

Originally posted by turbochem:

quote:

Here's Mobil 1 0w40 on the dipstick of my Olds minivan:

Good ole GM.....is that the 3.1L V6??

And does the oil cap say to use Mobil 1??
patriot.gif
Or are my eyes playing tricks on me???
burnout.gif

3.4 (same family as the 3.1)

I ordered a Corvette oil cap for it.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Sin City:
G-man II, the oil looks very clean and it is easy to see.
grin.gif

Yeah, the oil only has about 300 miles on it in that pic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back