Loving the Oil Technology Talk on these Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted here before, but here's a retroactive introduction:

1. What kind of vehicle you have
blue '04 WRX at 230,000 km. Running remarkably well, but considering a stock engine rebuild in due course anyway.

2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well
ILSAC GF-3 (API starburst) OR API class SL "Energy Conserving", OR API class SL "Energy Conserving" as a backup option
5W-30 preferred, 10W-30/10W-40 acceptable above 0 degrees F.
For severe driving conditions, API SL (or SJ) SAE No.: 30, 40, 10W-50, 20W-40, 20W-50.
Synthetic oil of the same requirements allowed.

OCI: 6,000km

3. Where you live
Toronto, Ontario, Canada - the great white north. Chicago weather.

4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)
Moderate on the street, and push the WRX hard at the track in Time Attack, Autoslalom and Lapping Days. Track sessions rarely exceed 1/2 hour in duration.

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)
Long trips 150 km north to Orillia and back, mid-week and weekends, but I walk to work.

6. Whether your car has any known problems
Slight oil leak from the oil cooler that the oil filter screws into. New oil cooler engine-side oil seal in hand, and fixing this leak this weekend.

BLUF: Running Rotella T6 now, typically run Castrol EDGE or Mobil 1 before. Always ran synthetics, but T5 would work just as well according to the manual. Want a protection oil, rather than a fuel economy oil given the car's age.

Planning to add 3 gauges. Was planning to add oil temp and pressure, but my Subaru mechanic and personal friend says monitor oil pressure first, because the stock oil cooler and quality oils will be sufficient protection for a stock engine.

Therefore I am now planning to go with boost, oil pressure and exhaust gas temp gauges instead.

Any thoughts on this approach?

I wouldn't bother with boost if it's still stock,but the o/p definitely.The egt, again why bother if is stock the oil temp coming out of the turbo would be of use,though.I'd stick with the T6 .

edit :Do you have another vehicle as a daily driver?

Last edited:
I would probably go with oil pressure, oil temp, and boost. Are going with 3 gauges just to fill a pod? I would go with temp just to ensure the oil is at a proper temp before you get happy with the go pedal.

19.gif

-Dennis

WELCOME!! Go to town on that thing! Do what you feel you want to do and the oils you use are fine. The T6 is a favorite with Subie owners on this website but 901Memphis mentioned a couple of other great options.

Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
Do you have another vehicle as a daily driver?

Nope, no other vehicle. gf has a '06 GTI, but she's lives in Orillia.

Originally Posted By: LaszloToth
BLUF: Running Rotella T6 now, typically run Castrol EDGE or Mobil 1 before. Always ran synthetics, but T5 would work just as well according to the manual. Want a protection oil, rather than a fuel economy oil given the car's age.

This is no knock on any of your choices, but if you like something like T5, watch what you're paying. Check a local Shell distributor for pricing. An alternative is Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5w-40 from Imperial Oil, at half the price of the competition at Canadian Tire, Partsource, Walmart, etc.

Everything gets more complicated in Canada due to price. It's an easy choice to pick M1 0w40 or T6 in the states Cuz they're both around $25 per jug.

Yep, quite right, 901Memphis. M1 0w-40 doesn't come in jugs here, unfortunately. We do see T6 around $30 or so on special, but that's not terribly common. Canadian Tire seems to roll back HDEOs more often than does Walmart. I don't think I've ever seen M1 TDT 5w-40 rolled back; it's usually in the $50 neighbourhood for a jug. The T6 is at least sold in more places so one has a better chance of finding a special.

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Are going with 3 gauges just to fill a pod?

-Dennis

Yes Dennis, I was looking at the OEM Impreza/WRX Gauge Pod Housing 2002 - 2005 below, which houses 3-52 mm gauges:

sIwnePu.jpg

Last edited:
Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature for sure, the 3rd your choosing! I might like a boost gauge just to watch it , or maybe a boost/vacuum gauge.

Air fuel ratio maybe?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back