Pennzoil Platinum and ACEA A5/B5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
My dad has a new 2013 Volvo XC70 and Volvo requires an oil meeting ACEA A5/B5 and I thought he would be safe running Pennzoil Platinum but a quick check of their website has me wondering, because it does not list Platinum meeting these specs. Does anyone have more info on this? He wants to make sure he's running an oil that won't give him any problems with the warranty.

Pennzoil Platinum and Valvoline do need meet the spec, however the new castrol edge and edge EP do according to their newest PDS. To my knowledge Castrol Edge is readily available in CA.

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/CECA18F501CC843B80257BF800542AA3/$File/BPXE-9C7A4Q.pdf

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
PP does not meet ACEA A5/B5.

Isn't there some M1 product he can run in this application?

M1 5w30 meets these specs, so I'm recommending to him that he run this instead.

It's interesting, because I figured PP and M1 were pretty similar in performance and would meet all of the same specs.

PP would probably pass ACEA A5/B5 if SOPUS were to test it against it. My guess is they just didn't care to do so. Maybe they're targeting the PP product towards American and Japanese makes, based on the specs that they list. For Euro stuff, there is PU, alas I've heard PU is hard to find in Canada.

PP does not meet ACEA A5/B5.

Isn't there some M1 product he can run in this application?

According to Shell PP does.

http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC_X_cbe_24855_key_140007054941_201202271154.pdfApril 2011

SPECIFICATIONS & APPROVALS
Pennzoil
®
Platinum

exceeds the requirements of the following industry specifications :

North American warranty requirements for U.S., European and Japanese cars and light trucks with gasoline
and gasoline turbo-charged engines where API SN and earlier API categories are specified (all grades).

ILSAC GF-5 Resource Conserving performance standard (SAE 0W-20, SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30 & SAE
10W-30).

Meets the most advanced emissions and fuel economy standards in the US gasoline powered engines.

Meets Chrysler MS 6395 (SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30, SAE 10W-30) specification

Meets Ford WSS M2C945-A (and prior WSS-M2C930-A) (SAE 5W-20) and WSS-M2C946-A (And prior
WSS-M2C929-A) (SAE 5W-30) specifications

Meets GM 6094M specification (SAE 5W-20, SAE 5W-30 and SAE 10W-30)

Meets GM 4718M specification for Corvette and Cadillac (SAE 5W-30 and SAE 10W-30).

Meets Honda/Acura HTO-06 specification for turbo-charged applications (SAE 5W-30)

Meets demanding ACEA requirements.

Isn't A1/B1 very close to A5/B5 in the newest ACEA sequence anyway?

Is PU available up there? PU does meet A5/B5.

Of course, nothing is wrong with M1 or Edge.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn

I guess it depends on one's definition of "very close".
smile.gif

A5/B5 has a lower NOACK limit. It also has lower wear, piston cleanliness, and ring sticking limits.

I guess it depends on one's definition of "very close".
smile.gif

A5/B5 has a lower NOACK limit. It also has lower wear, piston cleanliness, and ring sticking limits.

As for NOACK PP exceeds the NOACK limit of 13%. As for wear limits A1/B1 and A5/B5 are identical. Piston cleanliness and sludge requirements are very similar.

If Shell is recommending using PP in this vehicle I am inclined to believe their product meets or exceeds the manufacture's warranty requirements.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
If Shell is recommending using PP in this vehicle

Is Shell recommending using PP in this vehicle?

Anyway, we're splitting hair at this point, but if he wants to sleep better at night, he might as well find something that officially states A5/B5 compliance.

If Shell is recommending using PP in this vehicle I am inclined to believe their product meets or exceeds the manufacture's warranty requirements.

For what it's worth, QSUD's sheet says it meets A5-02, which is a bit dated. That sheet is kind of messed up, with some pages dated May of 2011 and others February of 2013.

Pennzoil Ultra does state A5/B5-10, but we all know how much fun that is to find up here.

Originally Posted By: Garak
For what it's worth, QSUD's sheet says it meets A5-02, which is a bit dated. That sheet is kind of messed up, with some pages dated May of 2011 and others February of 2013.

I'd take QSUD's product labeling with a grain of salt. They used to label their 5W-20 as meeting A5, which it cannot meet with the HT/HS they also say it has.

That topic came up in this thread:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2861375&page=1

I have some older Platinum 5W-30/10W-30 5 qt. jugs in my stash. The labels say it meets A5/B5-04.

I was at the store last week, and looked over the Platinum bottles they had on the shelf. I noticed it said A1, no more A5/B5. I thought that was interesting.
Mobil 1 5W-30/10W-30 says it meets A1/B1 and A5/B5, and Valvoline Synpower says it meets A1/A5.

So, reading over the new Platinum labels, that's what caught my eye, the lack of A5/B5, especially when I remembered the older bottles were labeled as such.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
I'd take QSUD's product labeling with a grain of salt. They used to label their 5W-20 as meeting A5, which it cannot meet with the HT/HS they also say it has.

That is why I mentioned that it was a bit messed up. I think they did fix the 5w-20 business, but claiming to meet a 12 year old specification on a 2013 data sheet is a bit odd.

claiming to meet a 12 year old specification on a 2013 data sheet is a bit odd.

Some high mileage oils only meet API SL, which is also 12 years old. I think GC is also SL.

claiming to meet a 12 year old specification on a 2013 data sheet is a bit odd.

Some high mileage oils only meet API SL, which is also 12 years old. I think GC is also SL.

The only difference is that API SL, even though introduced a while back, is still in "active" status. On the other hand, ACEA 2002 sequences were officially withdrawn at the end of 2006.

Anyway, we're splitting hair at this point, but if he wants to sleep better at night, he might as well find something that officially states A5/B5 compliance.

Yes, but of course Ultra is the first choice.

http://lubematch.shell.com/us/en_US/equipment/xc70_t_6_3_0_135664

Yes, but of course Ultra is the first choice.

http://lubematch.shell.com/us/en_US/equipment/xc70_t_6_3_0_135664

The oil selector on Pennzoil.com only shows Ultra and no Platinum.

http://lubematch.pennzoil.com/recommenda...8&brand=121

Strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back