Opinions on loaded struts

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for replacement struts for my I35 as the original ones have bitten the dust at 81k miles. What're peoples' opinions about the quality/longevity of Monroe Quick Struts? The convenience and value of loaded struts seem great since you get all new bump stops, mounts, boots, etc. I would like to do this job myself and avoid paying my indy to compress the old springs if at all possible. I know KYB and Tokico make great struts but none of their loaded assemblies are available for my car. Even Sensen doesn't have a loaded unit to fit my car.

Last edited:
quick struts are great DIY cost saving items. the only thing negative or how you might look at it is your ride will be softer.

i put kyb struts on my max and never looked back.

do you have advance auto parts near you.
or going to rock auto..
I think rockauto is the deal.

rock auto says 82$ea rear 133$ /ea front
+ shipping

AAP = 141$/rear ea
AAP = 239$/front ea

They do have a 30% off code but thats still significantly higher.

AAP $530+tax (5.5% cashback available at fatwallet not included)
Rockauto ~~$465+tax (inc shipping)

Your car requires 2 rears and 1 front left 1 front right. Rock auto seems to only have 1 in stock.

Those OEM struts should last a lot longer than 80,000 miles. Why do you think you need to replace them?

Spring compressors can be used for free at some places like Autozone and O'Reilly. They are easy to use and worth the extra labor.

The quick struts often use one spring for multiple applications. Some of the hardware may be generic. So YMMV.

I would try to get the OE struts if possible.

Quick struts are awesome!

You should've bought them a couple weeks ago when they were on rebate (buy 3 get 1)! If you can make it to the spring time, they will be on rebate again.

I have Gabriel Readymount on my car and they are great!

That is shocking to need new struts at 81k though.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn

You should've bought them a couple weeks ago when they were on rebate (buy 3 get 1)! If you can make it to the spring time, they will be on rebate again.

That's not surprising at all. My 2011 Prius has 77k and the front struts no longer rebound quickly and floats on the slightest dips. I have a new set of OE struts ready to go in.

As I've mentioned here a few times, the Monroe Quick-Struts I used on my wife's Corolla seemed to be made very well, but the new springs and especially the damping rates are way too soft. I wouldn't buy them again.

That said, for the price, and if your ancillary parts are well worn enough, they are a good option.

As others have mentioned, I personally wouldn't buy them because you never know what spring you're getting.

Swapping springs isn't too much more work. I just rent the auto parts store spring compressor. I've rented them several times from Advance and O'Reilly.

Quik Strut is the only way I go. All new parts, safety and cost effective. I've never had anyone complain of the ride being softer with MOnroe Quik-Struts and I have probably replaced 20 sets.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

That's not surprising at all. My 2011 Prius has 77k and the front struts no longer rebound quickly and floats on the slightest dips. I have a new set of OE struts ready to go in.

I recall the "word" being that struts were toast on VW MkIV's (A4, Jetta etc) for my vintage around 40k! Ouch. When I had it at a shop at 99k for the timing belt the mechanic said they should be replaced. I did them anyhow at 133k. Replaced the replacements at 260k(?) when it wouldn't pass inspection.

Funny how for some struts last such a short time, and for others they last forever. I'm not sure I noticed much of a difference in replacing mine.

Interesting advice here. I also think 80k is too early for struts to go, but the ride has gotten VERY harsh lately. For comparison, the Accord in my sig is still silky smooth on the factory suspension. Instead of bouncing over bumps in the road, the car just crashes down after going over them. This makes me think some of the struts may be seized. Two struts also have busted dust boots. I have looked at the rest of the suspension and it seems fine.

The non-sport I35 has a softer ride as it was meant to compete with the Lexus ES back in the day. I personally wouldn't mind if the loaded struts ride on the softer side as well.

In that case, Monroe's quick struts sound perfect for you! They are supposed to be just like brand new. Supposedly, KYB and Tokico are more firm than stock anyway, so even if they made quick struts for your car, you'd probably be happier with Monroe anyway.

I like the quick struts even though I had them installed on my daughter's car do to me recently getting out of the hospital. Had I been stronger and had more time, I would have installed them myself which, I will do for my own car(probably next summer).

The shop installed KYB Quick Struts(front) and Monroe OE Spectrum in the rear(rear shock/spring are seperate) and only repclace the R.Shocks.

I have used more Monroe shocks/struts over the last 40+ years and have had very good luck with them. Used Gabriel many years ago with good success too but, I read poor reviews lately
smirk.gif

Quick Strut Assemblys are the way to go when installing your self

Monroe Quick struts are excellent. I use them wherever possible.

Even if you could swap out your spring for free, I find that new Monroe struts plus any reputable new strut mount cost more than a Monroe Quick strut.

That's weird that they used different brands. Were they done at the same time?

If you're asking me...YES, they were done a the same time along with 1 lower control arm and 1 half/drive shaft(all done in one day w/alignment).

This was before the "SHOCKTOBER" Monroe sale/rebate special(mid-late July). I believe it was what was available at the time w/o waiting for longer delivery from their parts supplier.

Car rides and handles fine now

@Char Baby, yes I was asking you. Yeah I was wondering why not just KYB for all 4 wheels? (too bad KYB never has a rebate though!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back