Is Quaker State UD better than Castrol Edge black?

Status
Not open for further replies.
- for 10,000 km OCI
- short tripper during the week
- 4h highway during weekend (400 km)
- often hard acceleration / passing car

Never tried quaker state synthetic, heard it runs very smooth and quiet.

Would like your opinion plz.

Thanks!

Either one could do a 10k km easy in a driving schedule like that. I do think the newest formulations are both Honda HT-06 approved which is a tough turbo spec. Pick which is cheaper.

Don't let Castrol Edge fool you. On paper it isn't very impressive, but it consistently provides amazing UOA.

Neither would be my first choice in an oil but both have been shown to perform well in service and I have some of each in my stash. Low prices lead to the purhcase of oils you'd otherwise leave on the shelf.
Either should do just fine for 6K and either would likely be fine for longer than that.
The old clear quarts of QSUD are far more attractive than the black Syntec bottles.

Originally Posted By: Gabe
Don't let Castrol Edge fool you. On paper it isn't very impressive, but it consistently provides amazing UOA.

I've noticed the same thing. The castrol used oil analysis posted as of late have been impressive and I've been reconsidering whether I will use them.
Qsud is a proven performer and always shows well in the used oil analysis I've seen using it,and it's shown to be able to run 10000 mile drains so its always a sure thing.
Castrol's been impressive lately too so personally I'd go with whichever was on sale to be honest.

Originally Posted By: Ram01
I used them both I like Castrol edge black alittle better

What is it you prefer in the Castrol?
smile.gif

Both great lubes no doubt but IMO Edge well...has an "edge" on QS and is at least equal to most of the big names in that segment.

I've used QSUD and it's good, but my overall experience with Quaker State (both green and synthetic) with my vehicle is that towards the 3,000 mile mark, the car sounds/feels rougher compared to how it felt brand new in the engine. Hence, towards the end of my OCI I had to dial back my driving habits, such as passing cars on the freeway and hard acceleration because that is where I would feel this "roughness".

Whereas, when I used Castrol Edge (gold bottle) in the same car, I would not experience this "roughness" at all towards the end of my OCI and I'd actually change it at a longer interval, closer to 4000 miles with this oil and it was still responsive and had smooth acceleration throughout.

Now this is purely subjective, so take it with a grain of salt.

I would love to compare Castrol Edge with QS UD with a UOA but money is tight and am already comfortable with just using Castrol Edge.

But you can't beat the $20/5quart jug for QSUD at wal-mart.

Last edited:
That was my experience with qsud as well, or any other oil with a dose of boron in it. haven't tried the castrol yet, but had the same result with maxlife... 4500 miles in, and its still quiet

I tried the QSUD and it was ok but i really like penn. Ultra.much quieter on cold
Startups.i get some [i believe] timing chainnoise on the optimaturbo.
The qsud had chain noise oncold startup but its real quiet on the penn ultra.

I'll happily run Edge everyday of the week (if those are my only choices). I don't plan to try QSUD/QSAD ever again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back