Air guns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have air guns? The definition of what is legal appears to vary not only from country to country but also from state to state. Any help here?

We have quite a selection of springer bb guns, air-powered bb & pellet guns and a few co2 guns.

My preferences are the springer Daisys.....easy for kids to use, accurate enough to learn target shooting, and certainly inexpensive to purchase.

Some of our fun guns are co2 and full-auto Umarex (spelling??)

FWIW, I haven't had any issues purchasing any type of air gun but we live in a rural area. Several have been purchased on-line with no issues either.

Last edited:
I have two, one is a .22 and the other is a .177 handgun which is just about legal within the UK definition of a firearm.

I prefer the .22 although I only have one single-shot handgun pump action bolt....all else we have is .177.

We start all of our grandkids on bb guns and the progress to rimfire. We are fortunate to have our own range so we really don't experience any restrictions although our 9 yo grandaughter was carrying a bottle of bb's through Tractor Supply to purchase and a clerk told me she wasn't allowed to carry them in the store.

Originally Posted By: Fleetmon
although our 9 yo grandaughter was carrying a bottle of bb's through Tractor Supply to purchase and a clerk told me she wasn't allowed to carry them in the store.

Really thats um.. genius there on TSC's part... sigh. One of those things you just ignore if you are a clerk... common sense.

I used to work in a liquor store.. Had a 12 year old carrying beer, but his mom was using a walker. I passed on talking to them about it.

Yeah, even though its store policy i'm in there all the time and its not like they could hurt anyone.....UNLESS she dropped them...lol!

This same grandaughter rules the roost at our annual pumpkin carvin each year (carving jack-o-laterns with .22 cal handguns) and can load the mags and fire an AR on her own.....all under close supervision of course but she has NEVER been caught with her finger on the trigger when off-target or swept anyone with a muzzle. She is also my assistant range officer and is quick to point out eyes and ears.

Off topic but she was watching me work on her mom's Jeep and the ac cycling switch was leaking (replaced the week before) and I muttered something to the effect of $#%* chinese junk. Anyway, went back to AAP for a replacement and when the counterguy asked what was wrong with it, before I could answer, she said it was chinese junk!

I have a 1911...

...from Delta.

It's the only 1911 I have
frown.gif

I shot myself in the foot with it to see how bad it would hurt if I absolutely had no other options. I think it would work in a desperate pinch and gain me an extra 10 seconds while I got my real firearm. It hurt something terrible for about a minute and left a welt that didn't go away for 3 days.

My current favorite is my Chinese B3 air rifle.

It's a little dangerous to load, has a heavy weird orange Chinese wood stock and shoots very straight.

If you hit a rat center mass, they flop over violently, screech, and run away. Presumably to die. Head or neck takes them down quickly with a .177 wadcutter.

I wouldn't want to shoot myself anywhere with it. It would be more than a welt.

I own one daisy pellet/BB gun, pump up action. I know if you throw a pellet in it and pump it up 10 times.. its suppose to be equal to a .22short I dont know if that true or not but ive been told.. I know it will punch holes in a beer can without any trouble.. Everything else i own goes boom.. or crack..

Originally Posted By: Whitewolf
Anyone have air guns? The definition of what is legal appears to vary not only from country to country but also from state to state. Any help here?

I've got one break barrel style that gives 1300 fps with a .177 pellet!

In Fl they are fine.

I have too many. One is a Chinese-made B-19 .22 cal, circa 2005, massaged by an airgun tuner whose internet name was "Charlie Da Tuna". I think he still has a website but no longer tunes airguns himself. Honestly chronographed at 725 fps with normal weiaght 14.x grain pellets after tuning. BTW- that 1300 fps .177 mentioned above will almost certainly chrono *much* lower velocity with normal weight pellets- probably no more than 1000 fps.

The B-19 is my only break-action "springer". I found after I got it that, #1: Even just outside the city limits of our tiny town it's not 1967 anymore, and #2: I strongly prefer pumpers.

Pumpers/pumpups- I have too many. If I could only keep 1, with an eye toward practicality, it would be the 1970's vintage .20 cal/5mm Sheridan Blue Streak. Hits hard, shoots accurately & the stock is a *Much* better fit for a grown man with a 35" sleeve.

I have an old Benjamin .22 cal that Dad & I overhauled when I was still in high school, it still shoots fairly well too. Plus a collector grade Benjamin 312(.22 cal pumper) from the mid 1960's. Plus a Crosman pumper pistol in .177, and a box of all needed parts to convert it to .22 cal. Plus a couple of the neat little Crosman pumper carbines, one each in .177 & .22(based on the pistol, with 14" or 16" barrels & a shoulder stock that screws onto the grip frame). Plus a now discontinued Crosman CO2 .22 cal carbine that I bought new & have never even fired. Plus a couple of Crosman M4 .177/BB pumpers factory refurbs(they look much like a somewhat shrunken variant of the M16) that I got for the nieces & nephew to shoot when they visit.

Laws are all over the place, & you should find out exactly what the laws are where *You* live(also wherever you intend to shoot, if a different location). Don't just assume anything- look it up on the internet & find our for sure.

Example: In Texas- you cannot legally hunt squirrels with an airgun. Period. In many other states- no problem.

Last edited:
Yep. For some reason, squirrels are game animals.

rats, and grackles can be hunted. Some grackle swarms are so thick you can hit one from the hip. You could probably hunt feral hogs with an air rifle.....I wouldn't, but I do not believe it's illegal.

Got a GAMO underlever, which in Oz requires the same licencing and registration as a .22 or a 12ga...too powerful to shoot the birds that want to roost in my roof, but when the weakest break-open air rifle requires registration, may as well get a powerful one.

as far as I know they are still not classified as firearms so have not had any problems with shipping them or anything.
I wrote a book about airguns called airgun odyssey
the publisher is now out of business but you can still find the book online
steve

I have a el-cheapo Russian air gun. It's junk. At the hangar, I have a better, but still cheap 177 walmart air rifle (forgot the brand) it pumps up, and does not have that "wonky" break barrel -spring feel.

I'd love to own a well made, higher end, powerful air rifle. I don't care for the feel of break barrel ones. So, I might choose an air tank powered one, or a pump.

In Canada, any air gun that shoots a projectile over 500 fps is a firearm and is subject to the same laws as any firearm.

Under 495 fps is unregulated (except by municipal bylaw if I'm not mistaken).

Jim, my little Crosman .22 cal pump carbine is a "Canadian-ized" version, has a bleed-off hole in the air chamber/valve cartridge to limit power to legal limits in Canada. I haven't chronographed it, but compared to my other pumpers it's *definitely* on the wimpy side.
grin2.gif

I'm SO glad I don't live in the garden state nor pay taxes to them anymore.

I recently tried to have an RWS 54 Air King in .22 I ordered for my BIL through an online air gun retailer,shipped, but was emailed stating it was illegal for them to ship any air gun to the state of NJ. Was I fuming. So I had to ship to a friend's house in Upper Darby, PA and have him personally deliver the air gun to my BIL's place in Moorestown, NJ.

RWS air guns are hard-hitting, accurate, really nice stock and German engineered. Wonderful air guns!

Shame on you NJ.

I grew up with a Crosman Air Guns Model 760-D Pumpmaster .177 in my hands. I spent hours in the woods as a kid with it. I never harmed any animals...I was taught from a young age to be responsible. I can't say the same for empty soda cans though. I used to have a scope on it but I liked the sights more. I still have it in my garage.

There are no laws for air guns where I live. I do believe in NYC you have to have a permit for one...but that's nanny state NYC.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back