Are Champ Ecores that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The cartridge filter for my old BMW has a metal center cage, regardless of brand bought.
Still, your "almost every" statement is probably still correct.

Okay guys so after seeing the pics on the last page I had grabbed a flashlight to peek inside the filter and look at the pleats and what I found was that the pleats were very tightly packed together and the windows didn't seem too large . That made me feel better about it, along with the "millions of cars have them" mindset that I had already had given that it's an ACDelco branded filter. So I used it today with my jug of PYB. I probably won't buy another one but given especially that my OCI will only be 3k miles I feel just fine about it. I'll probably cut it open when I replace it just out of curiosity and if anything went wrong then I'll post pics here.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Last edited:
Please do post we never get tired of looking at gutted filters.

I won't use an ecore and I don't consider myself a filter "snob", I'll use an orange can on the right application without hesitation.

My buddy at work actually lost an engine to a failed ecore that came from a Firestone. Sure we all heear internet horror stories, but I don't know one single other person in real life that has lost an engine to a filter except him. (In Champ's defense they did replace the engine and were very good about it too.)

I tried an ecore also, as I can't help but experiment. It made it 6 days, start up rattle was so bad even though it was summer I had to take it off. Examination after only a few hundred miles revealed pleat flattening already occurring, which is the precursor to blow out on the ecore.

I was using the STP S8 filter.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

I won't use an ecore and I don't consider myself a filter "snob", I'll use an orange can on the right application without hesitation.

My buddy at work actually lost an engine to a failed ecore that came from a Firestone. Sure we all heear internet horror stories, but I don't know one single other person in real life that has lost an engine to a filter except him. (In Champ's defense they did replace the engine and were very good about it too.)

I tried an ecore also, as I can't help but experiment. It made it 6 days, start up rattle was so bad even though it was summer I had to take it off. Examination after only a few hundred miles revealed pleat flattening already occurring, which is the precursor to blow out on the ecore.

Filter anxiety is back...

I do feel like my oil pressure takes slightlyyy longer to rise, but I'm attributing that to the suddenly significantly colder outside temps here.

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs

Filter anxiety is back...

I do feel like my oil pressure takes slightlyyy longer to rise, but I'm attributing that to the suddenly significantly colder outside temps here.

It's probably the cold weather - the gauge itself is probably more sluggish in cold weather. With a positive displacement oil pump, the oil filter should not effect the oil pressure unless the oil pump is in pressure relief. Are you seeing like 70~80 PSI right after start-up? If not, then the pump is most likely not in pressure relief.

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
Oil pressure rises to 30 psi fluidly upon start-up and hovers between 30 to 33 or so during driving at all times.

With those oil pressures, the oil pump isn't even close to pressure relief. So, the filter isn't a factor in the oil pressure you are seeing.

Quote:
With those oil pressures, the oil pump isn't even close to pressure relief. So, the filter isn't a factor in the oil pressure you are seeing.

Good to know, thanks bud.
smile.gif

I ran the STP S8A on my 4.0 also. It was the dead of winter here in Northern NY. I was very happy with the performance with Peak 10w30. No dry starts, rattles, or clattering. The only filter that I have run that provided such good start-up results was the FL-1A.

Not long after joining this site, I used a Wally ST 3614 ecore on a Tacoma for a 5k oci with no issues. Even cut it open and it looked fine. That said, after seeing the blown out media failure pics posted here, I now avoid ecores and filters using combo valves also used on most ecores. If I was looking for a value filter in a hurry, for $3.27 Wally has now replaced ST ecores with Classics. Worth the extra ~0.40 cents more than the old ST's.

Originally Posted By: salv
I ran the STP S8A on my 4.0 also. It was the dead of winter here in Northern NY. I was very happy with the performance with Peak 10w30. No dry starts, rattles, or clattering. The only filter that I have run that provided such good start-up results was the FL-1A.

Interesting. Ever cut one open? Any flattening or blow outs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back