What Product To Restore Faded Bumper Molding ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a used '02 TrailBlazer which has a good deal of what I assume to be plastic bumper molding (grey) which is moderate to severely faded ...Which product do you recommend to restore and even out the color ? ...Thanks in advance !

Though I HAVE NOT tried this product, it seems to be made for this exactly...WIPE NEW! As Seen on TV. Supposed to last up to 2 years.

Peanut butter!!! No joke it works pretty well put it on and let it sit. Several hours later clean it off.

If you have lots of time on your hands, Mothers Back to Black does work, but you have to spend a few hours putting many applications on.

I got my rear bumper step (20 years old) to go from a very light gray to deep black. As long as I keep up on it with Vinylex it seems to be staying relatively black now.

I do think it's like polishing headlights though, once they're faded and foggy and you polish them, it ends up being a normal maintenance item.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Though I HAVE NOT tried this product, it seems to be made for this exactly...WIPE NEW! As Seen on TV. Supposed to last up to 2 years.

I'm afraid of Wipe New.....can't get it on your hands, paint, windows, fabric, etc. If my car was completely made out of faded plastic, this stuff would be great!

In my experience it doesn't matter what you use, you will have to do it again every year. Local 4x4 shop says use PLEDGE !
Allot of JEEP guys have been pulling there cladding off and using "plasti-coat" (rattle can) and painting them.....I have no experience with this stuff personally.

If your gonna keep the vehicle for a long time, just buy new. I did for a previous JEEP, I had $200 (EBAY) wrapped up in it and they were new ! No hassles !!

Try Adam's Super VRT and you will be sold for life. It's long-lasting even in rain, isn't greasy, and smells good when you're applying as an added bonus.

I always ended up just using whatever Armor-All like product I had on hand and did it a couple times a year, or just before I sold the vehicle, whichever came first.

plasti-dip
smile.gif

Before you go putting something on there that will ruin paint adhesion just bite the bullet, do your masking, and paint with Krylon Fusion. It is totally worth the effort.

I used Krylon Fusion on the black strip on the bumper of my 89 Accord after using almost everything else listed here. I even used "flexible bumper coating" with a coat of adhesion promoter and it chipped off. Krylon Fusion actually bonds chemically with the plastic and changes the color of the surface. It works!

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Just picked up a used '02 TrailBlazer which has a good deal of what I assume to be plastic bumper molding (grey) which is moderate to severely faded ...Which product do you recommend to restore and even out the color ? ...Thanks in advance !

Go to Wal Mart and pick up some Surf City Garage Black Max. I just bought my 02 Trailblazer 2 months ago, and the plastic was chalky grey/white. The Black Max REALLY darkened up the plastic and it lasts a good long while. I've been using Eagle One Trim Gel too, and that stuff works pretty well too. If I showed you before and after pics, you wouldn't believe it. I apply all of my trim restore products with a small brush with plastic bristles. It really gets the product into the plastic and gets off that old oxidized layer. I also like to apply product in the sun as it helps it "bake" in.

Last edited:
I just tried the Surf City Black Max from Walmart on my front gray plastic tag bracket.
This stuff looks like light blue hand lotion and has a nasty fake grape smell.
Put on nitrile gloves and applied Black Max using a small piece of cotton t-shirt. By the time I coated the front and back of the plastic tag holder two of my fingers started to feel strange. Guess I tore a couple of finger tips on the nitrile gloves and my finger tips had Black Max on them. Washed my hands and fingers several times with soap and Comet but my fingers tips puffed up and felt strange like I had soaked them in brake fluid.
Looking at the treated gray plastic car tag bracket it looks like I used Armor All on it. The bracket still has faded places and now just looks slimy.
I will try to return this stinky stuff to Walmart for a refund.

Can some one please tell me how many black plastic restoring products are actually black?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back