HD introduces 2 new bikes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Styled a lot like the XLCR from the late 70s (not a bad thing IMO)....... Rumour has it they'll be built in India; not sure how well that will go over......

Built or assembled? I read somewhere (Internet, remember....) that they would be assembled in the US, and that all the parts would be built in India...... just curious as to what the truth is.....

This version is quite sweet:
2014-Harley-Davidson-Street-EICMA-Show-2013_10.jpg

More than likely assembled in USA. In order to be Made in USA, they have to have a majority of U.S. manufactured parts.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
At least they appear to be designed in the 21st century.

That does not mean it will be good. The Pontiac Aztek was designed in the 21st century. lol

I think the 500 will be a bust in the USA, but the 750 might take some business away from its competitors like the Yamaha Bolt, Suzuki C50/S40, Yamaha V star 650, and Honda 750 Shadow. This would have been a much smarter move had they done something like this about 25 years ago when bikes the the Yamaha Virago were selling extremely well and starting to pull more of Harley's market share away. I will say they are priced very well to compete in the middleweight V twin class, but even the 750 is a bit disappointing in performance with 54hp. The 6 speed, if its a close ratio non overdrive, might help it feel peppier than it is.

I'm glad, and a bit surprised to see these bikes. I certainly hope they are quality machines.

The one pictured above looks great! "If" it makes enough HP to back up it's bad boy look, AND it's riding dynamics are good to great, it will certainly sell well. If it's underpowered, vibrates, and handles awful, well then,,,,

You can see some videos on HD's youtube channel, in particular the about 4:44 minute "concept" video has some more on the "RDX 800" concept posted above.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
At least they appear to be designed in the 21st century.

but even the 750 is a bit disappointing in performance with 54hp.

Well, given the tech of the engine, that is indeed a very, very mild state of tune. I Wonder how much of this relates to not wanting to embarass the larger air-cooled models. A tune of 85 hp would be easily achievable with the engine`s modern design, all the while retaining a nice spread of power, though that would likely have it embarassing the larger bikes performance-wise... quite a conundrum....

A café racer based on the 75, with about 90 hp would be interesting..... I can`t help but wonder, too, if some of these will end up on the dirt tracks as potential competitors to the XR750.....

Originally Posted By: sunruh
cujet and AIR cooled!!! 1903 technology right there. none better!

Looks air cooled, but is really water cooled.

But the HP looks awful, I had expected something like 80HP or more for the 750. For example, my Suzuki SV1000's engine is a detuned version of the TL1000, so it's full of midrange torque. It's rated at 120HP at the crank. By that reasoning, this Harley 750 should be 90HP.

While disappointingly low on power, they will likely be competitive with the others in their respective displacement categories (ie. Shadow, Star,.... aren`t exactly missiles either). Besides, a 90 hp 750 would likely run away from Harley`s true bread-and-butter models...... an unforgivable embarassement for the guy who just forked out big bucks for a big-inch cruiser..... quite a conundrum for the MoCo (sadly)

Will be neat to see what the aftermarket does with these engines, however, as there should be plenty of potential there......

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: sunruh
cujet and AIR cooled!!! 1903 technology right there. none better!

Looks air cooled, but is really water cooled.

But the HP looks awful, I had expected something like 80HP or more for the 750. For example, my Suzuki SV1000's engine is a detuned version of the TL1000, so it's full of midrange torque. It's rated at 120HP at the crank. By that reasoning, this Harley 750 should be 90HP.

yes my mistake. had to look that pic over and over and finally noticed that the fins are put on just for cosmetics! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back