2013 Ducati MTS, Amsoil MCF 10W40,4679mi - High AL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disappointed in the apparently poor viscosity retention, but I also don't know what "TR" represents in fuel dilution percentage. They warn on aluminum and it appears high, but if the 18ppm shown in the Universal Avg is based on 2300 miles and I have double that mileage on this run, maybe 38ppm isn't something to get concerned about - yet? Assuming the wear is linear. Anyhow, the other metals look okay. The motorcycle does see a lot of 1 hour to 90 minutes rides, but not many shorter than that. It doesn't get babied but I don't flog the snot out of it either.

The report does not note the odometer reading at time of sample, which was 7629 miles.

Important note: Sample captured by dealer tech during 2nd factory recommended service visit which was due @ 7500 mile/12,000km. I had them put in the same oil, MCF 10W40 again. Based on this report I will probably not run it beyond 2500 miles and will switch to a 15W50 or 20W50.

Blackstone110413_zps55403a81.jpg

I assume the "elevated" Iron and Aluminum is from general wear and piston scuffing from high revving operation in the presence of sheared oil.

I'd run any oil in a bike like this no longer than 2500 miles. There is a reason that the "universal average" is from 2300 mile OCI's.....this is what people are doing.

No oil is going to stay in grade past 3000 miles, regardless. And most motorcycle oil nerds (like myself) believe that it's better to be "thicker" at the beginning of an OCI and have it shear into grade, than to start in grade, and then shear thin.

You'll get much better results running 2500 mile OCI's with 20w50.

If you like the Amsoil, mix some 20w-50 with the 10w-40. Impressive TBN for the mileage.

Also remember you're still breaking it in at under 10k miles! It has a long life ahead!

Look at aluminum per 1k miles and:
Universal is 7.2ppm/1k
You are at 8.2ppm/1k

So it's wearing just fine.

What oil filter are you using?

The oil filter for this run was a K&N kn-153.

I was hoping for better from Amsoil. It sheared to a mid to low 30 weight. Not pleased.

i blended amsoil as mentioned 50% 10-40 + 20-50 for my 2012 bonneville + 2013 victory hammer, the latter being hard on oil that lubes the engine and gearbox 5 qts total dry fill. riding season about done in pa for me but one ride quickly showed better shifting especially in the hammer! IMO vic's 20-40 semi-syn is an overprice + underperforming oil for sure in the 106" air-oil cooled monster!!

I agree, under 10,000 miles on the bike and with 4600 miles on the oil, the numbers dont look bad to me.

If your going to stay with 5,ooo mile change intervals, I do think a quart of 20w50 to aid with the viscosity loss would be ideal.

with a flash of 370 you have MORE than a TRace of fuel.
and that would affect the susvis.

imho with only your 2nd fill you havent flushed enough of the breakin crud out. i would have been on my 3rd or 4th oci by now.

all in all, i wouldnt worry at this point as several above have said.

steve

Glad to hear the aluminum is not an issue.

As far as the flashpoint. The ride to the service appt where this sample was captured was about two hours at interstate speeds, so would that not reduce or eliminate fuel dilution? Assuming that Blackstone knows how to test for fuel content and TR may be an accurate result, could both the flashpoint and the shear down be pointing to Amsoil having switched to a group III base stock for this oil? There is that bit where Amsoil stopped mentioning basestocks being PAO, which used to be highlighted in their promotional material but no longer is.

yes a 2hr ride should remove the fuel, but idling at the shop puts it right back in.

the flash should have been 400+
out of all my tests (yes i just looked) i only have 4 uoa's under 370. thats 4 out of 70. now i might not know a darn thing about oil but i sure know what 4/70 means!
oh and all of those 4...yep fuel
dont matter what oil it is, with fuel the flash goes way down! and so does susvis.
i have 2 tests of the same oil. one with flash of 355 and with at 395. want to guess which one shows 1.5% fuel?
i have another pair: one at 355 and one at 370...guess which is 0.5% fuel and the other at 1.0% fuel?

steve

No idling in the shop. However, it was cool out, below 50 degrees F and there were a few stop lights in town after getting off the bypass and a wait in traffic for about 5 minutes idling due to a construction zone and this was just a couple minutes before rolling into the shop lot. Hmmm... I think that may be the culprit, the sitting there idling in the construction zone literally right before the oil was drained. Dammit.

Non expert here but I'd agree with alot of what the others have said.... still breaking in.... too long on this new of a motor. I'd cut back to 2-3000 mile OCI with whatever oil you run.

I have a TL1000 with 83,000 miles on it.....love the big twins!...LOL

Ducati would have me leaving the oil in for 7500 miles, which is the OCI in the manual. If I switch to a 15W50 or 20W50 (Group IV or V based), I would be willing to do a 7500 mile run.

Some motorcycles are just natural fuel diluters, At 370 degrees flash with 4600 mile on the oil, thats not bad at all. you'd probbaly see a much better flash with a 2500 or 3000 mile change interval.

But I can run Rotella 5w40 or an amsoil 15w40 and be around 385 flash by a 1500 to 2000 miles on my vfr(but its tight track oriented). so your flash at almost 5,000 miles Doesnt mean much IMO.

You can ride all day , 24hrs and still have fuel dilution, short rides may make it worse, but it may always be there no matter how many hours ridden.

Last edited:
Those extended OCIs early in an engines life with all the break in wear and engine paste floating around are reckless. Cheap rotella 15w40 changed very often a (few hundred miles after startup) and then gradually increasing it as break in declines would be what I would do. And even if those crazy Italians say a 7500 mile OCI is okay, don't believe them. That's crazy in a shared sump, semi high performance engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back