M1 taxi engine tear down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GutsyGecko
Of course it's at a time most normal people are working.

This will no doubt be recorded .

What are the details. Has the engine always had M1 or was it a police car that was put into taxi duty after being retired from active duty ?

Originally Posted By: Clevy
What are the details. Has the engine always had M1 or was it a police car that was put into taxi duty after being retired from active duty ?

As XM does many long term durability and deposit test. I would think this has been another one of those types of test. I can't imanige XM messing around with a live tear down on an engine that may have used someones oil other than their's.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Apparently M1 techs will tear down a taxi engine that has been run on M1,

I have nothing against M1 or XOM and I think they have some fine oil. However,
1. most taxi motors never really cool down and we know that cold starts is when an engine has the most wear.
2. And since the engine probaby never really cools down, the same teardown results could probably happen with $2/quart TropArtic oil, IMO.

But hey, just like a lawyer asking the questions that they already know the answers to, I'm sure XOM already knows what the outcome will be. Happy viewing.

The engine never cooling down would leave deposits with lesser conventional oils with a higher NOACK and also varnish most likely with lesser GRP II and lower oils.

https://www.facebook.com/mobil1

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Files/Cab_Company_Extends_Oil_Changes_Using_Mobil_1.pdf

We're putting the protection and performance of Mobil 1™ advanced full synthetic motor oil to the test by grabbing a real Las Vegas cab off the streets and tearing down its engine with the cameras rolling. You can watch it live Thursday, Nov. 7 at 1:00 p.m. ET on the Mobil 1 Facebook page!

Filming at the Lucky Cab Company garage with host Marty Smith, we'll tear down an engine from Lucky Cab's fleet to show the real-world results of Mobil 1 motor oil. Lucky Cab selects Mobil 1 motor oil for its entire taxi fleet which needs to endure the extreme conditions of Las Vegas driving.

A third-party automotive expert will examine the critical engine
parts and let us know the performance results. Watch along
with us:

When: Thursday, Nov. 7 at 1 p.m. ET/10 a.m. PT

Watch at: Mobil 1 Facebook page

Tweet This

Why test motor oil in Las Vegas?

Las Vegas
Las Vegas is one of the toughest urban areas for a motor oil to perform. The combination of
extreme heat in the summer – with road temperatures sometimes exceeding 150°F – and
near-freezing temperatures in the winter put significant pressure on motor oils to protect critical engine parts.

Pair these temperature variances with dusty roads, constant
stop-and-go driving and long idle times, and the result is a driving environment that puts engines
under some of the most severe conditions found nearly anywhere.

But this is also what makes it the perfect proving ground for Mobil 1™ products.

Learn more about Mobil 1
lubricants.

Tweet This

What is the Mobil 1 Lucky Cab testing program?

LuckyCab Taxi ServicesThe next level of performance - Save now
To test and prove the real-world performance of Mobil 1™ synthetic motor oils, ExxonMobil since 2004 has partnered with the Lucky Cab Company of Nevada to test Mobil 1 lubricants in its taxi fleet.

Many taxicabs run 24 hours a day, seven days a week. In these grueling conditions, ExxonMobil engineers evaluate and re-evaluate how Mobil 1 oils perform to ensure they consistently meet the highest industry standards.

And what have they found?

Lucky Cab's Fleet Manager, Joe Hicks, had this to say: "We see longer oil drains and increased fuel mileage, and we have noticed that the vehicles run better, run cooler, and have fewer breakdowns than with the oil that we used before."

Tweet This

Is this the typical test where they run a well built engine under ideal circumstances then gloat about how good their product is to people who really believe taxi service is bad for an engine?

I suspect the largest aspect of this event would be to hype the ooooo-ahhhhhhh factor of how clean the engine will be inside.

They may/may not mic anything.

There will be much shaky camera work, enough camera cuts to make even an MTV camera man queasy, and plenty of M1 commercials to keep the audience's mind in shock and awe.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Is this the typical test where they run a well built engine under ideal circumstances then gloat about how good their product is to people who really believe taxi service is bad for an engine?

However this is also a test for engines that now run(have since 2004) 2 1/2 times longer OCIs than the oil they previously used. Ideal circumstances? Lots of idle time, city stop and go driving in high temps, dusty conditions at times, all at 10K OCIs.

I'd hardly call it ideal. Ideal would be moderate ambient temperatures with 100% highway driving.

Please expand on how taxi cabs operate in ideal circumstances.

Well, I think taxi service isn't the worst thing for an engine, in terms of cold start up wear things are pretty good! And they get run hard enough daily/hourly to get the oil nice and hot to remove water or fuel contamination.
An old ladies car, started 10 times a day and driven 2 blocks at a time, never warming up or seeing 1/4 throttle or 2500rpm, for 5 months of winter in Winnipeg is probably a harder situation for engine oil to deal with. Just not as cool for marketing as
!!!!LAS VEGAS TAXI TORTURE TEST!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back